Yoshi the 1HD-FT HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

kenavt

SILVER Star
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey if you need a place to crash I’m only a few miles off 90 in MN.

Thanks, I appreciate that! Would be fun to see your truck. Not sure what my plans will be yet but I'll keep that in mind

I don't know how I missed that you're local to me.

Enjoy the drive

Welcome from another Washington hdj81
I don't think you did! 😉 Do you go to the monthly Seattle Cruiserhead meetups?

Thanks, I appreciate that! Would be fun to see your truck. Not sure what my plans will be yet but I'll keep that in mind

I don't think you did! 😉 Do you go to the monthly Seattle Cruiserhead meetups?

Not usually. They're at 6. And usually an hour or two from my house. I work nights and am not up early enough to make it. Plus the thought of fighting Seattle traffic is unappealing.

I attend most of the north sound cruiser meets

kenavt

SILVER Star
Website
www.instagram.com
So I got four of the six items done on my list before I leave tomorrow morning! Enough to do the trip, then I'll have more to do when I get back.

I "jailbroke" my JDM cruise control ECU (lifting the 112 km/h limiter) by soldering in a resistor into the right place. More details: HDJ81 Cruise control top speed - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hdj81-cruise-control-top-speed.104835/page-2#post-14549063

I fixed the AC by replacing the compressor, dryer, and expansion valve. Expansion valve - just ordered Denso 4752005 from Rockauto. Dryer I ordered from Toyota, PN 88471-50020. The compressor was trickier, I talked about it in this post, had to order some things and it wasn't cheap 1HD-FT A/C Compressor needed - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1hd-ft-a-c-compressor-needed.733952/#post-14552313. I also replaced all of the O-rings that I had touched with a USDM kit from O'Reilly's, and sealed with Nylog Blue. Just had it recharged yesterday and I now have cold AC. 😁

I bolted in the USDM trans cooler and ran new trans fluid lines from the hardlines that exit below the crankshaft. Got most of the old fluid out. Seems to be working great, without gauges it's impossible to do a before/after though.

Coolant hoses deserve another post. I'm pretty skeptical of those Chinese silicone hose kits, at least on 1HD-FTs, but I'm going to try them for this roadtrip if only because I'm out of time. I'm most worried about these in my roadtrip - that a clamp gets loose or that a hose gets cut somehow. Might try replacing some of them after the first half of my roadtrip is done.

I ran out of time to install the Auber gauges or build the sleeping platform. I might build the sleeping platform in time for my trip back. Hopefully I won't need the Auber gauges - I'm completely stock turbo/intercooler/airbox wise, and now I have the USDM trans cooler, and I have no plans to challenge the truck on this trip.

I also replaced my main drive belts and AC belt. Following up on the below from the last thread...

90916-02452
99332-61275
I don't know how I found these since this was last week and I didn't take notes, but... I picked up 99332-11260 (-78) for my AC belt, and Conti 17395 for my main drive belt (at a very cheap price). So maybe I'll be ordering new belts again. I see the 99332-11260 appears to be for '90-94 HDJ81s.
-11260 won't work on the -FT.

Conti 17395 didn't work, it was too wide of a belt. I suspect Gates 7395 may work in a pinch since it has roughly the right length and width, and I laid eyes on one, but haven't tried it.

I canceled my order for 99332-11260 and didn't even try it; ended up ordering 99332-61275 as @OGBeno said, as well as 90916-02452. The latter comes as a kit of 2 belts, you don't need to order quantity 2. They went on great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom