1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

York help

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by jeffsclan, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jeffsclan

jeffsclan

Do you guys think this is enough belt contact with the pulley? The York bench tested fine. I could spin the clutch OK and it engaged when applying power. Now thats its all mounted up it seems to be sticking when I turn it on. I'm just trying to figure out my next step. New bearings in the compressor or change the alternator bracket so there is more belt contact .
    belt 2.JPG

2. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

If it worked , yes. But since you have problems... I don't think it is enough contact. IMOP should be about half way around,

If you drop the alt a little more on the brackets it may give more contact.

What if you use the both the pulleys on the york? Have an independent belt for the alt, run off the york. And buy a shorter belt to run the york with out the alt.

You would just have to move the alt back to catch the back groove. Or whatever works.

3. brownbear

But what I said you would need a tensioner/idller pulley,

See my pic of my york set up. But I wish I had the room to stand my unit upright more.
    york2.JPG

4. jeffsclan

jeffsclan

Its official, I'm a dumb ass! After looking further I realized I put the one way check valve in back wards. So It would work for about one minute and then the pressure would overcome the friction on the belt. After changing it the way its supposed to be it works fine. I'm still a bit worried about the lack of contact on the belt, but I'll try it for now. Brownbear, thanks for the info and pics. thats a nice set up you have. BTW were did you end up mounting the tank ?

5. Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Change belts

It should be flush or slightly under, not over.

6. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

It depends on what kind of pressure you expect to pump. It will probably be fine for tire pressures, but you may run into slipping if you are trying to fill a tank at 150 PSI. You don't want to put so much pressure on the belt that you overload the bearings.

It seems like you could always run your alternator off the other compressor pulley groove and have more contact on your drive belt.

7. jeffsclan

jeffsclan

Do you think its too thick? (wide)

8. brownbear

I have not yet, but plan to mount it beside the tranny/tcase above the skid plate. Using threaded rod bent around it, bolted with plate on the other side of the frame. Putting airline or some other hose over the threaded rod so it doesn't rub.

9. brownbear

I disagree, your belt is fine. The belt should be slightly above,. Don't worry it will wear lower.