Yoko Geolanders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally took my wife's 80 out for a little wheeling. Had a good little time, but managed to blow a tire bad. They were the stock LTX's, and were really worn, so it was not much of a loss.

I may have a damaged a rim as well, I hope it still holds air-- If not I will be looking for a stock replacement.

Anyway, I need new tires. I have convinced my wife that all tires in the stock size are expensive, and that we could save a few dollars by jumping to 285/75/16s (that is my story and I am sticking with it-- I don't want to hear any naysayers on this point :)).

I want a little more agressive tire, but my wife demands good quiet highway performance and a long (50k mile) warrenty.

I really wanted the Pathfinder ATRs-- they are a house brand available from Discount tire-- made by Kelly Springfield. I used to have them on my 55, and I really liked them. They are a copy of the BFG AT with a harder rubber for better wear resistance. The problem is that they are in the middle of a redesign, and the new ones are not out yet in that size. They were supposed to be out months ago, but it will still be a while according to the guys at discount.

So I am thinking I will go with the Yokohama Geolander AT II. I did a search and did not find any complaints about this tire. They look like a good tire, and they have a 50K mile warrenty. I also through about the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the BFG AT's, but the ATs are more money and the Nitto's don't have a warrenty. I also thought about Brigdgestone Revo's, but my Discount Tire doesn't normally carry those tires.

So my real question is, what do you think of this choice? Are these tires going to be much louder than the stock LTX's? Will they wear as well? Will they still provide decent offroad strength. I realize that they are not much of a mud and snow tire, but I am in arizona, and this is not as much of an issue for me.

Jared

PS. When I went to Discount Tire (lindsay and university, in Mesa AZ) this morning there was a nice lifted 80 in the stalls, with custom bumpers, sliders and the fender flairs removed. It belongs to Joe Chott-- I talked to his wife who was there getting a new pathfinder ATR (in 315 size). I think Joe is on these boards or on the LCML-- anyway-- If you are out here Joe, you have a very nice truck :).

I've been reading alot about the Geolanders on the net because i want to put them on my wifes 4runner, everything i hear about them is positive, they are made of a really soft compound that is supposed to wear faster but be really quiet and great on/offroad, sorry no first hand experience but i'm going to buy a set of 285s as soon as the Big Os loose alittle more tread, Brad.

Joe and his wife are nice folks. He was one of the first, if not the first, to take an 80 through the Rubicon. Tell him Eric said hi if you see him again.

No comment on the ATS. My MTs are somewhat loud and wear quickly. They stick to rocks like glue.

[quote author=Bradass80 link=board=2;threadid=13765;start=msg127623#msg127623 date=1080338008]
they are made of a really soft compound that is supposed to wear faster
[/quote]

Now this is the opposite of what I thought. I thought the Geolanders had a harder tread compound and thus would last longer. At least as compared to the BFGs and Nittos.

This was really the reason I was leaning toward the Geolanders over the Nitto Terra Grapplers (and the BFGs, although that is also a money issue)

Anyone know for sure one way or the other?

Jared

I had a set of Yoko geolander AT+II in a 285 on my 80. worked very well. They seemed to last, but I only had them for 12,000 miles and then changed to 315s. I used them in Moab last year and they definitely did the job. I did sell them to a friend who also has an 80, but does not wheel. I was very satisfied with them except for mud. Worked well in snow also. i would recommend them.
Cheers,
Sean

I know Christo or one of his buddies ran them, like others said they stuck to rocks good, were a very soft tire, soft compound and soft sidewalls. Tire life was lucky to be 30K miles, i.e. very short in my opinion. I have looked at them also, they are alot cheaper than GY or BFG, atleast on tirerack, but I have MTRs now and these are about the best tires I've ever seen...awesome grip, tough, good wear (I have 61K miles on my set of 5 now with plenty of tread left!), so I would hate to get a 'lower' tire.. :)

Good luck...

Know of a guy that ran them in '99 at BHCC, and ripped two sidewalls, on two different trails...

I would not have anything to do with them...

Good luck!

-Steve

I could be wrong but aren't these directional tires? Since the 80 is fulltime and it doesn't like different tire sizes, I think it's important to rotate all 5 tires. If they are directional it creates some issues (like having 6 tires instead of 5). :banana:

Also makes a case for getting the toughest tire you can get so that you avoid having to buy a new tire when the others are half-way through their lifespan (and destroying your V coupler). :banana: :banana:

Ok, I just convinced myself to get those MTRs I've been dreaming about :p

Riley

The MTs are directional but the ATs are not, i've been told to expect 50,000 out of the ATs, after that many miles i'm usually ready for something new anyways, Brad.

[quote author=Riley link=board=2;threadid=13765;start=msg127707#msg127707 date=1080352175]
I If they are directional it creates some issues (like having 6 tires instead of 5).
[/quote]

Nah, you just get a non directional tire as a spare. Something with the same traction or close to it.

I had Yucko tires on my 6x6 Mack concrete truck and the side wall would rip like a zipper. I hope they solved that problem. That was 9yeara ago.

Dang it guys, don't you know you are supposed to validate my decision, not make me question it even more.

Maybe I will rethink the Nitto Terra or the BFG ATs. I just wish those things came with a mileage warrenty.

I love the MT/Rs-- they are on my 55. But they are way beyond what I need on the 80. Remember, this 80 is mostly my wife's DD.

My wife wants quiet, good road manners, long life-- but I want to be able to take it off-road every once in a while. Hence the AT style focus.

I really wish I could just wait till they got the new pathfinder ATRs.

Thanks

Jared

From the discussions I've read, the BFG AT's are supposed to have a very long lasting/high mileage tread. :-\

I'll vouch for the BFG AT KO's ... I've had them on my 4Runner (315's) and now the 80 ; in 315's also . Very quiet .. great even wearing . Pretty easy to balance .

I have repeatedly been drawn to the looks of the Yokohama Geo's , but then I read up on them and re-affirm the fact that they wear fairly quickly and aren't great in snow . Even the guy at the Yokohama warehouse that showed them to me , commented on the soft material and poor wear . So once again I was rebounded back to my faithful BFG's .

My next tire will likely be the Mickey Thompson Baja Radial - 35x13.5R18 ... but only because I'm a slave to fashion :p :D

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

I almost bought the geos in 33x12.50, even talked to a guy who was runnign them on his dodge 2500. seemed like a good tire all around but then I ended up with the old standby of bfg atkos, they are not great tires in mud but they ride well and in most terrain will be fine for light to moderate dry wheeling and they last forever. when you figure you are plunking 800 plus for tires it makes sense to get some that you know will last, not saving 100 bucks on a gamble.
Not dissing the geos at all here just stating what is known and what is unknown.
Dave

I'm running the BFG AT/KO's and if I ever wear them out (50K miles and more than 3/4 of thread left) I will buy Dunlop M-55's, really good looking, quieter, and get the same type of wear as the BFG AT/KO's and they are even better on ice and snow and did I say really good looking. You might want to check them out. But I will say they are a well kept secret and even if you go to a Dunlop store they will have to order them.

Jared,

Sounds like you are in about the same boat I was (similar needs). I almost went with the Yoko's and ended up with some Toyo Open Country A/T 285's instead. Similar price point, etc. but got a little better reviews than the Yoko's at the time I was looking. I have been pleased so far 12k miles.
http://www.toyo.com/tires/index_frame.html

Good luck,
Mike

I have heard that Toyo and Nitto are affiliated but haven't confirmed. The Toyo Open Country AT and the Nitto Terra Grappler look VERY similiar but the Nitto is cheaper. The Open Country has had great reviews. I have not tried either though.

However, I have compared the BFG AT KO's to the Bridgestone Revo's and I must say, with the exception of off-road, the Revo's on-road manners are much better. Much quieter and smoother ride. Revo's wet, dry and snow traction are awesome too.

The Geolanders and the Terra Grapplers are the least expensive of the bunch. I think your wife would be happy with either.

"They are a copy of the BFG AT with a harder rubber for better wear resistance."

If that is a true statement then I think they would be too hard and longevity would be the least of your worries. The BFG AT/KO is going to last 60k or more if properly taken care of with still enough traction and adhesion to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom