1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another tire thread

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruiserdrew, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

No, this isn't "How big a tire can I run on my sagging stock suspension?"

Instead, I have a good problem. I pulled my 3rds to have precision gear 4.88's installed and plan to run 315/75/16 tires. I will be wheeling the truck in Moab, and possibly the Rubicon in August, but my FJ40 gets the call if things get rough. So in terms of tires, I am leaning toward MTR's. However, trying to be logical, I'm thinking BFG AT's might be a better choice, since most miles will be street miles and Moab could be run on slicks I think. The AT's would have much better tread life, a quieter ride, and work better in the rain. They seriously lack in the trouser factor though, and for that reason alone, I am leaning toward the MTR's. I have favorable experience with the MTR's on my FJ40. Any other candidates? Anyone know about those new Firestones that are supposed to be great off-road tires? One other thing, I have 2 sets of wheels but can only afford one set of new tires right now. Should I mount the 315's on my stock wheels or my black steel rockcrawlers?

Mr. Moderator-I don't want or need swampers, this truck sometimes has to make the commute.

2. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Andrew,
    MOST trails in moab will be ok on at type tires. as far as road noise and such my 33" bfg atkos arent bad at all. worth thinking about running 33" tires for the road and save your pennys for the big agressive tires for the second set of rims.
    Dave

3. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I'm not sure 33" tires and 4.88s are a good fit. I'd get some BFG ATs for the alloy rims now and if possible a set of MTRs or whatever for the steels later.

4. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I'm running 33's now, they did great in Moab last year. This year I'm going to do Golden Spike and thought the bigger meats would be good for that. Still thinking those AT's might fit the bill and actually be better for my uses.

Agree 33's and 4.88's would be a bad fit. I'll still be a bit undergeared on 35's. ?maybe 37's in my future. Any other comments?

5. MTNRAT

MTNRAT SILVER Star

Andrew, I figure the AT,s would be great for Moab. I went through the same thing with mine and did get the MTRs. That said, there is a good argument for ATs on the hwy. BTW, you will love the 35s and 4.88s off road. What are you using for springs?
    Cheers,
    Sean

6. floatinghat

floatinghat

Depending on where you are located I would guess you can get a great deal on take offs. The bling bling 22's and 24's for H2's comes at the expense of BFG A/T KO's. I would check some local tire dealers that do take offs or if you have a Hummer dealer near by check if they are upgrading the rims on any H2's.

andre

7. lagwagon

lagwagon

Run 16s on the 60 and swap your tires around as necessary. I don't think you would be happy with a/ts on your 80 all the time!

8. pismojim

pismojim the Dude abides...

Andy, why in world would anybody with an AWESOME re-geared, lifted, locked, slider'd and 12K winch'd cruiser run ATs? ::)

Dude, get the MTRs, preferrably 37s.

Trust me, it's the BEST set-up for your -cough-cough- "highway" miles.
    :flipoff2:

9. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

OK-It's MTR's. I don't have enough lift (is there ever enough?) for 37's though it's tempting. I'll be ordering from Tirerack tomorrow if they are open on Sundays. I did briefly consider BFG AT's, but came to my senses and realized that a better ride, better tread wear, and better performance in the rain just arn't worth it. :beer:

10. pismojim

pismojim the Dude abides...

I've got 30K miles and coming up on 4 years with my MTRs. They are more than half worn but still look good enough for aother trip to Moab. Although, I'm itching to buy three more (I never did get the spare into the rotation). Surprisingly good tread wear in my opnion. I never had a problem in the rain. Remember, rain means mud at the end of the paved road.

11. i4c4lo

i4c4lo

The bling bling tires off an H2 are 17 inch wheels.

I would get the MTR's my reason is because the 98 % of the time you are on paved road, the MTR's can do but that 2% of the time you are off-road and you need to get out of something, that 2% is all you care about and not the other 98%.

Amando

12. inacoma

inacoma

I'm running 35" trxus tires. they are wearing AWESOME...over 10,000 miles (mix of wheeling and road) and I can still see the first raised ridge (you would know if you saw the tire). They perform great in all conditions.

...only drawback...PITA to balance. If you have a very talented tire balancer, than these tires are great.

Kumar