Yet another subwoofer question :: inline amp for the dual-sub 2Ω in 1999? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
I told my son I would help him install an "external" subwoofer in his 1999. Don't worry he's still a Cruiser kid who likes lifts and being off-road.

We took the rear panel off and voila we see TWO 2Ω speakers in the subwoofer assembly. Each sub speaker has two different sets of wires and I assume they are wired in series because that would equal 4Ω because that is the expected impedence of the the stock amp, yes?

If I want to drive medium-sized 8Ω sub tube, can anyone advise as to a line-level amp? Would I tap into the sub speaker assembly wires in series from the 2 speaker wires?

Last edited:
Understood. I have installed several powered subs (Rockford and Bazooka) for my son's friends. Some of the available options have a line level (speaker wire) input option and sound okay. Typically they have all come with the necessary wiring harness. I would probably get a 4 ohm option if available so that in the future if you change the head unit and replace amps it will provide better performance if run in mono.

It is more expensive, but the best option would be to replace the head unit and and run RCA cables etc. to an external amp to power a passive sub and or all of the speakers in the truck. I have found that the external amps sound better and the Bazooka subs sound really good for the money (the enclosure is very efficient). I am not sure which stereo you have in the 99 but we just did this in my brothers 2000 (I think he had the Nakamichi?) and it sounds amazing. The wiring was a little more challenging due to how Lexus wires the factory amp but very doable.

Understood. I have installed several powered subs (Rockford and Bazooka) for my son's friends. Some of the available options have a line level (speaker wire) input option and sound okay. Typically they have all come with the necessary wiring harness. I would probably get a 4 ohm option if available so that in the future if you change the head unit and replace amps it will provide better performance if run in mono.

It is more expensive, but the best option would be to replace the head unit and and run RCA cables etc. to an external amp to power a passive sub and or all of the speakers in the truck. I have found that the external amps sound better and the Bazooka subs sound really good for the money (the enclosure is very efficient). I am not sure which stereo you have in the 99 but we just did this in my brothers 2000 (I think he had the Nakamichi?) and it sounds amazing. The wiring was a little more challenging due to how Lexus wires the factory amp but very doable.

Our preference is to keep it as stock and reversible as possible. I know that is not optimal, but why I was thinking about keeping everything where it is, disconnect the two rear speakers, and tap therein.

Will totally work and fully understand. I really like the Bazooka since it is small and so efficient and they definitely make a option with a built in amp that should work or you.

Powered tube is great bang for the buck. Used an 8" powered one in a friend's 89 camaro convertible budget audio build and sounded pretty amazing. Can't go wrong shopping at crutchfield.com and great tech support, warranty, etc... I've had good luck with bazooka, but lots of similar great products. Install for most is just like the below. If whatever you buy has a built in amplifier. Tapping into the wires going into the subs will likely work fine, but tapping into front or rear speaker wiring might be better. I don't know what kind of crossover is on the factory subwoofer.

1607645650187.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom