Yet another newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After 4 Toyotas in the past (78 2wd, 87 4runner, and two Tacos-one rolled (94), and one traded (2000, I'm gonna miss that truck), I bit the bullet and bought a 1997 LX450. This machine is awesome. My only two complaints (other than the dreaded 401 code occuring that the dealer will be fixing :rolleyes: ), is the color (that silvery tan), and it doesnt have the f/r lockers. That's probably a good thing, because it will keep me from getting into places I shouldnt be going with it. It has 69000 on it, and is in awesome shape(clean carfax, no new paint, etc).

You guys gave me some ammunition for price bargaining due to the 401 as well as the birf seals. :beer: :beer: :beer: After all was said and done, it was mine for a little over $12.5k

It came with the towing package, what appears to be a smittybuilt brushguard, and some taillight guards (not sure of the taillight guards are going to stay on it).

I live in central NC, and will be using this as my daily driver, road warrior, family hauler, and an official salty sand and fish assualt vehicle (Cape Lookout on the outer banks of NC is the place to be :flamingo: ). No major mods are in the works right now. Dual batteries will happen, just need to figure out the best way to do it (PO just put a "certified lexus 84 month battery less than 6 months ago). Second batt will be for accessories (possible wench, errr winch), lighting and cooler/fridge.....Michelins still have about 50% of tread left (so no new tires yet.....)I was able to strip my taco of all the goodies (hi-lift, roof racks, extraction gear, 12v outlets, lights, etc), and now have to find homes for all the goodies.

I wanted to thank you guys for all the great information that helped me get it for a price I was comfortable payin. Knowin is 2/3 of the battle, specially when your facing a CE light that decides it needs to be on more than the dome lights.....Mechanic will be puttin on a new EGR valve, regulator, plenum/egr temp sensor cleaning and VSV cleaning/replacement, or else I get my taco back :flipoff2:

I'll post some pics once the tornado warnings are done and can get outside.

Now time for my stupid newbie question. What the heck do you guys do for cupholders???? Do they think since you bought a lexus you always eat-in instead of drivin-thru??? :rolleyes:

PS: I'm looking for a second factory center console (the top two pieces only) to build a true driver's side armrest over the parking brake.

First - Welcome. :flipoff2:

That Smittybuilt isn't a tow package - brush guard probably. If you've done reading and search, it's called a damage multiplyer.

Cup holders - who needs cup holders?

hehehe

Brentbba said:
First - Welcome. :flipoff2:

That Smittybuilt isn't a tow package - brush guard probably. If you've done reading and search, it's called a damage multiplyer.

Cup holders - who needs cup holders?

hehehe

I think the comma meant those were seperate things....

Tow package...aka a hitch, and a smittybuilt brush gaurd, and tail light protectors...

oh and Welcome! Low miles and good price! :D

Welcome :flipoff2:
Did you get the pink panties also, or did the po keep them. :D

Thanks for the warm welcome..... :flipoff2: :D I shoulda said, it has a hitch out on the backend, trans cooler, etc up front. I understand about the damage multiplier though. :D I think its main use is gonna be as a light mount, and a fishin pole mount. I'm gonna ask a friend of mine that does fab work to try and tack in a 2 inch receiver on the front, either on the frame tucked in behind or under the license plate bracket, or on the bottom of the s*ittybuilt. I need to be able to carry a hitch haul with a couple of coolers on the nose or tail.

I looked at a couple other 80 series. I saw a 93 in SC that had a bunch of trail mods (ARB winch bumper, roof rack, OME lift and BFG MT's), but the frame had been tweaked a little). One locally was a total turd, and the other was needing more work than I would want to put into a vehicle. This one just kinda popped up, and I just happened to be the first one with a check.

It amazed me, I actually got about 19mpg on the highway coming back from where I bought it....freakin scary.....

Oh yeah, I got the pink panties, and I tell ya, they match my official LEXUS IZOD pink shirt and cream polyesther pants. Did have to special order the white patent leather shoes and pink argyle socks..

Last edited:
Good deal, for that kind of low mileage. Welcome, and enjoy.

TX_TLC said:
I think the comma meant those were seperate things....

Tow package...aka a hitch, and a smittybuilt brush gaurd, and tail light protectors...

oh and Welcome! Low miles and good price! :D

Duh - my bad.

Truck sounds great regardless! :cheers:

Another Lexus owner. Welcome!

The Po401 code happens a lot and there is a thread in the FAQ about it.

Oh the joys of living in the Carolinas! That rig would set you back $16K here in So Cal. Great deal - enjoy.

Welcome - congratulations on taking the leap. Although the minute you drive it, you know you did the right thing!

Tornado warning! Wow! But as far as photos go, didn't you park the 80 in the living room? :D

David

Check the glove box and make sure it came with your thong pink panties. :D

If not Prez. Doug will be glad to ship you a pair. :D

Oh yaa welcome. :flipoff2:

Great deal.

Grouseman

Welcome to owning an LX 450! But this thread is useless without pictures.
Looks like I may be seeing you in the OBX this summer in the pink panties :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom