Yet another glow circuit thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone explain to me how the glow plug resistor on the 2lte is suppose to work?

I have been fighting a hard start with my truck since pretty much the day I got it and trying to resolve this issue.

With the key in the on position I am seeing 11.5-12v at the rail, after I crank the truck over I see .28v and the truck with sputter and die unless I override my glow system (Wilson switch).

I have tested my secondary glow relay and I'm seeing 12v there for about 30 or so seconds, so this has brought me to the conclusion that I am losing volts at the resistor.

I have a spare resistor that I have tried bench testing but I am seeing 12v when 12v is applied, I am pretty sure it is suppose to step down to 7-8v.

The other issue, when I try to search the part number to find a replacement I am finding they have been discontinued.

Any advice would be appreciated.
580978AF-C703-46EB-A553-F53869F8C650.jpeg

It sounds like your relays are probably working right, but maybe the resistor was hooked up wrong. It won't drop the voltage to 6-7V unless it's connected to the glow plugs. Basically that resistor and the glow plugs together make a 'voltage divider'; like two resistors in series. The best way to test it is with an ohmeter - it should read really low resistance. Getting the spacers set right on this to make the proper connection is probably what is causing you grief.

Here is the schematic. On the left white part of this page you can see the two glow relays. One (Glow Plug Relay - main) switches the full 12V direct to the glow plugs. When it finishes (opens), the second relay (Glow Plug Relay - sub) switches the 12V through the resistor to the glow plugs. The resistor drops half the power, the glow plugs the other half.

If all the connections are correct, with clean terminals and good wiring, the system works really quite well in my experience. I've never heard of the resistor burning out....

As you can see, the ECU controls the glow relays. It also monitors the voltage at the glow rail (GP input to ECU).

2LTE_GLOW.jpg

Thank you thank you thank you!

So I checked my connections and they all checked out. It was really oily so I hit it will some cleaner. That didn’t solve the issue. Checked the ohms... over 14!!

My Spare resistor was 1ohm, so I swapped it and hooked everything up as it should be and boom! She’s fixed! What a relief... I’m going to order new glow plugs as I’m sure I’ve killed these ones by over glowing them this past 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom