Yet another case of bad luck w/ my 62...what to do now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.upperbowljazzfan.com
It's been awhile since I've posted here slightly because I hadn't the money to get my 62 fixed from the ailment it had been in. So it sat for a few months.

I should probably start from the beginning. I bought an '89 FJ62 from a friend knowing it had lost compression in one cylinder (maybe it was 2?) and that the engine needed rebuilding.

Turns out it had a cracked cylinder head. Replaced it and rebuild the engine.

800 miles after the rebuild it blew a head gasket. Being completely out of money (due to a number of setbacks in the engine rebuilding stage) it sat for a bit while I gathered the courage and money to get it fixed. I no longer had the tools and area to replace the HG myself so I had a shop do it.

I had thought the thermostat had went out but the shop said it was fine and didn't have a good reason as to why it blew...except blaming our rebuilding job (which may or may not have been valid).

They fixed it and I got it back and 100 miles later, the engine pretty much shut down after running slightly hot during a 10 mile freeway trip. When it died the temp gauge had it at pretty hot but not totally overheated but it blew out a boatload of white smoke when I tried to start it.

Sent it back to the shop and they told me today the block is cracked :doh:

I'm at a complete loss. I love this truck but it has now cost $4000 more than the $4000 I projected when I first bought it and there is no end in sight.

What can/should I do? What are some realistic, viable options? Would appreciate any/all opinions.

Easiest and likely cheapest is a good used 3FE or even a different truck with your current truck kept as a parts truck. You need a new-to-you block either way. Post in the Parts Wanted section and see what shows up. Also look through the Parting Out section and see if you can find a decent motor.

Nick

I picked up a full 3FE/auto/split case combo for $500 a couple years back. If you can find someone pulling one in your area for an engine swap, you should be able to get it dirt cheap.

Pulling my engine in the next two weeks. Parts will be for sale. I'd be frustrated as hell with your situation and tempted to swap (what I'm doing.) Better luck in the future.

What has caused you to decide to swap? What engine/tranny combo are you going with? I've seen that the cost for a decent V8 swap can be $5k+...is that about on line?

I want more. My original motor isn't doing what I want. It runs great and all. The transmission was just rebuilt about 80 miles ago, that about drove me nuts. I'm ready for a change. What I've wanted out of the 62 was a fun driver/trail machine since day one. A chev 350, 700r4, NP203/split case doubler will give me a much better low range for not much money. I won't have nearly $5000 in my swap, the whole truck isn't worth that to me or anyone else. I might spend $1500 or so but I have a motor and trans from a friend, got a 203 range box from a friend. I'll make the motor mounts and new crossmembers and will get some friendly help with the new shafts, skid plate, etc. So basically, my time and cheap parts. Biggest bill will be Jack Daniels and Bud Light.
:beer:

How much is a used 3FE going for these days? Is shipping one of them a viable option? Seems like it would cost a fortune...

I paid $650 for my first 3FE to do a 2FE swap into an FJ60. This included just about everything needed to make the 3FE work in a 60 (complete motor, wire harness, computer, fuel lines, fuel tank, gas pedal, several radiators and various other bits and pieces - I drove to PA from southern IN to get it). Bought a complete running, driving '89 FJ62 for $1000 for my second 3FE swap kit. Drove it for two years then pulled the motor/trans/t-case out. Motor is bolted into an FJ40 at the moment but might remove it for a diesel swap instead if the deal comes through.

Good luck with your project.

:cheers:
Nick

Sorry for the bad luck.

You've got a fresh FE head. If I were in your shoes I'd look for a 2F engine or block for a 2FE power plant. (basically a bore and stroked 3FE with a stronger crank.)

Just looked at the SLC craigslist. I'm surprised there arent more LC parts listed there. shipping an engine is possible. I've never done it but I looked into it once. Seems like the shipping bill was around $200. There is always Mud-ship through this forum where some kind soul might drag your gear while they're going your way.

Good luck.

Thanks for the sympathy. I've thought about the 2FE option. At this point if I could find something reasonable (2F or 3FE) i'd probably try and do it.

Yeah, the craigslist here isn't used like it is in other markets. It's a little harder to find parts, etc.

I guess we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom