Yet another 2f ticking noise question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

overlandmachines

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rk45.org
Picked up 60, has ticking noise. Almost sounds like it’s coming from carb... Here’s link to video... any idea of that can it be? Exhaust leak? Valves need adjustment. Should I take off VC?

thanks!

2f Ticking

Last edited:
Link isn't working for me.
Valves maybe.

Sorry, misplaced video link and description. Here's the right one 2f Noise

sounds like a time bomb to me.
But it doesn't sound like a loose valve tappet since its irregular. It's often difficult to pinpoint the source of odd sounds on the engine. Could the ticking time bomb be the smog pump ready to seize?

The only thing hooked up is alternator. smog & power steering pumps don’t have belts on them. Perhaps that’s the problem?

Last edited:
Normally on a 2F the alternator belt also drives the power steering pump.
And the smog pump belt drives the water pump. Could the smog pump replacement idler pulley be making a racket?
image.jpeg

That is an odd noise. Doesn't sound like its internal because its not regular enough....most internal noises are very defined due to the rotational nature of engine internals. It doesn't sound like a normal air leak. Sounds like a something in the belt drive is making contact. blade of the cooling fan hitting the shroud..or if the alternator has the cooling fan on it...might be hitting a bracket...or some piece is loose so its hitting something but randomly.

Or...maybe....something could be hitting the valve cover underneath....a stethoscope or a screw driver test could be helpful here.

I’d do a visual check of the belts and accessories. Then I’d that didn’t solve it I’d do a compression test to see if I had a cylinder problem. And then I’d pull the valve cover to see what going on under there. You could start the truck with the valve cover off and if the noise is gone you know it’s something hitting the cover. But I’d start with the simpler things first

It sounds like a carb backfire to me. I wouldn’t run the engine like that though. Make sure everything is hooked up correctly, secure all of it, and then test.

It sounds like a carb backfire to me. I wouldn’t run the engine like that though. Make sure everything is hooked up correctly, secure all of it, and then test.

A good reason to check the timing too.

Almost seems like valve slap. the sound seems to be in time with the motor revving. Hard to say really but i'd be careful with it until I found out what the noise is.
:beer:

Thanks for your input guys! I took VC off and found 1st cyl exhaust valve not moving. After removing the rocker arm, and pulling put pushrod there was bad news.... (what is interesting - the leftover part of pushrod is straight)

What do you think is best course of action here?

I am thinking soak/tap valve, telescopic magnet inside where pushrod obviously broke and get loose parts out, (ordered new pushrod), put everything together and seafoam/good oil?

eng2.jpg

eng1.jpg

You can pull the side cover off and see if any chunks are sitting in there. Small chunks may have flowed down the oil drain holes and (hopefully) into the bottom of the pan.

Which end of the pushrod is that, top or bottom? I have not seen a spontaneous pushrod failure before. This usually happens when a rocker is so loose that the pushrod can come up out of alignment and get destroyed as it hits the rocker off-center.

It begs the question of what went wrong. Why is the rocker rail shiny? Was someone in here recently and took apart and cleaned the rocker rail and rockers? There are A and B rockers and should not get mixed up. Did someone adjust the valve lash incorrectly? Pull the pieces of the push rod and the lifter out with a magnet and check it for damage. Drain your oil and use a magnet to pull any metal pieces to the drain hole. If you want to sort things out even more it may be a good time to take off the oil pan and clean it out. (finding more clues?) You'll need to do a valve adjustment. here is some info on adjusting valves: How to adjust your 2f valve clearance

Also info can be found in the 2f engine fsm
1572288871422.png

1572288901671.png

I have not seen a spontaneous pushrod failure before. This usually happens when a rocker is so loose that the pushrod can come up out of alignment and get destroyed as it hits the rocker off-center.
Here's what happened to a pushrod in my '84 FJ60 a couple of years ago:

1572289081501.png

The 2F was making an extremely loud knocking noise out of the blue. Luckily the cap was sitting in a depression in the cylinder head. A trip to BTB in Henderson and $5 later I had a replacement pushrod - I got to sort through a whole box of them to pick out the best one.

Thanks for that. Great attachments and photos.
I have picked up a few good push rods. Hoping for some odd event like yours. The old guy really took care of this rig . Have all service records. Just parked it. Maybe the long storage caused something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom