Yes, you can fit a 4'x8' in an 80... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I was trying to talk myself into buying my 80, I did wonder if you could fit a standard 4'x8' piece of material in the back. I had a real need for utility, it wasn't just something I told the wife... I'm glad I decided against a full-size truck with a proper bed. Since I got the 80 in Sep. of '05, I've hauled all sorts things that I didn't think I would be able to accomodate; a new sofa, a fridge, lumber for a fence, etc... Having proper ancors for tie-down straps really helps with this...

Here she is with 5, 4'x8's of 3/4" particle board, 12, 10' 2x6's, 8, 8' 2x4's, and bunch of other stuff under it all.

80WithWood_open.jpg
80WithWood_open.jpg

Good to know. I currently have a 13 year old pick-up that is rusting out and I really don't want to replace it with another pick-up. But, being a carpenter, the pick-up comes in handy some times. If I can haul full sheets of plywood or whatever, that would lessen the need for a pick-up.

Looks like quite a load. I did that for awhile but quickly got tired of the wear and tear and time it took to secure everything. I gave in and bought a 5 x 10 trailer with 1' solid sides. Toss everything in and go.

Um,

I think "fit" means you can close the door......;)

btw are the sheets of particle board sitting folded down seats or did you remove them?

cruiserdan said:
Um,

I think "fit" means you can close the door......;)

Party Pooper! :flipoff2:

Pay no attention to he who scratches his balls in his avatar! :eek:

I 'fit' 25 2"x4"x12' in my truck!

I can fit 4' X 8' in the Suburban with the door closed. ;) And it gets 19MPG highway........To bad it's a GM..huh?

Gonna have to tell the wife I'm takin' back the 80!

Really looking to sell the 03' Suburban and get a full size PU truck with a 8' bed. Some things just are just better about trucks. I'd buy a Tacoma but the prices are just too freakin' high for used and I'm 6'4".

Trailer is a good option but I still like a PU best of all.

80me said:
I'd buy a Tacoma but the prices are just too freakin' high for used and I'm 6'4".

My Taco has more driver room, leg room, and head room than my Cruiser. They do bring a premium on the used market.... wonder why? :rolleyes:

-B-

Cool pic. A couple weekends ago the back of my Cruiser had about 700 lbs of lumber and quick-set concrete for rebuilding a gate and a section of fence. Halfway through unloading I remembered I wanted to take a pic to prove that 80s haul more than groceries . . . too late then! My wife and I did get a kick out of the low-rider appearance.

ed97fzj80 said:
Cool pic. A couple weekends ago the back of my Cruiser had about 700 lbs of lumber and quick-set concrete for rebuilding a gate and a section of fence. Halfway through unloading I remembered I wanted to take a pic to prove that 80s haul more than groceries . . . too late then! My wife and I did get a kick out of the low-rider appearance.

Sounds like a good excuse with the wife for an OME suspension! :D

Beowulf said:
My Taco has more driver room, leg room, and head room than my Cruiser. They do bring a premium on the used market.... wonder why? :rolleyes:

-B-

I had one long ago and don't recall being incredibly cramped but now I am use to the Suburban. It is more a concern with vision than anything. I find my head dipping down (slouching) to have a greater field of vision. I also lean forward to see past the pillar.

The 80 is no great fit either.

YOU PUT LUMBER INSIDE A LEXUS???
:eek:

:D
That has to be one of the most unusual "here's the first pic of my truck that I'll show you" pictures that I've seen on this forum.

Good to see you putting it to good use.

:flipoff2: BTW - you can also put a Doug Johnson in an 80. hehehe

And to think, I just took the minivan to the local Home Depot to pick up some door frames because I didn't think that they'd fit in the cruiser. Silly me. That would have been the excuse I needed to buy proper tie-down straps.

Brentbba said:
:flipoff2: BTW - you can also put a Doug Johnson in an 80. hehehe

LOL!....:hillbilly

AND Alvaro......:eek:

cruiserdan said:
LOL!....:hillbilly

AND Alvaro......:eek:

Yep - I didn't want to go too far tho! :doh:

I heard that sh:censor:t

;p

You two can get even with me at Moab but only if Andy is around to put me back togther.....:flipoff2:

Maybe silly but if I have to load that much lumber in my truck I put down the tailgate. I have jack up tailgates before doing that.

As Dan mention's " fit " means being able to close the door.

I love my LC, but I can put 20 sheets of 4X8 plywood in the back of my Ford X, close the doors and the hatch. Not to mention the eight ten foot 4X4's and 2X4's on top. Plus a radial arm miter saw, compressor(s), nail guns, drills, sawhorses, 500# of quickcrete, etc.. I also sometimes tow a 10,000# trailer.

Bonus - the more you load - the smoother the ride.

An '80 is an awesome 4WD vehicle, but not a functional work truck IMHO.

As for putting 4X8 materials in the rear of a chevy without wedging them in sideways - all I can say is " show me ".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom