YES or NO to this paint job idea (1 Viewer)

What do you think of a flat black hood and roof on a brown 60?

• Flat black hood and roof would look good

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Flat black hood and roof would look crappy

Votes: 40 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've just been using some dark metallic brown duplicolor paint on mine for repairs. Mine's a beater though so it's a close enough to color match deal :meh: The front fender was blue and for less than $5 is now brown
DSC_0080.jpg

If you have a space to do the work in Id tell you to take off all the trim, prep it yourself, and shoot it. Get a couple buddies to help and it shouldnt take more than 2-3 days to do the whole van. A second vehicle would also help I guess.

If you dont have a spray gun/compressor available to you pick up one of the $3 triggers that attach to the top of the spray can. They make a world of difference and your fingers wont feel like theyre gonna fall off when youre done.

Ive had good results using the clear coat with hardener to top things off and you may want to look into that.

If you do have a place to do it and buddies to help you could have a new paint job for a couple hundred bucks....

D

I have most of what I need to paint but I'm concerned about paint in the air going to my neighbor's cars and property. I'm willing to take the hood off and paint it in the backyard. I might ask friend to help me with roof. He has space to paint at his place.

pokerDawg said:
nice. you have more pics?

do you think a stock headliner would still fit with that disco material there?
No good ones showing the roof, no.

Pretty sure the stock liner would fit over the Reflectix. I'll install a couple of the bows to check in the next couple days if you want.

Gurr said:
I think the black and brown looks good compared to other options. Does anyone have it done in a tan color?
Line-X will do pretty much any color other than pure white, they told me. Various samples on their web site. I'd be disinclined to try and color match the truck, though. :)

I voted "look good" cuz it seems like that's what you'd like & i don't think it'd really look crappy! Get some white & black garbage bags (or roofing felt/tarpaper for flat black) to help you visualize things... all the while humming "it's my truck & I'll do what I want" to the tune of the the old Eric Burdon & the Animals classic "It's My Life".

I honestly think white would look pretty retro cool, kinda like Spats (you may have to Google that).

John

I vote no.

Now painting the raised portion of the hood a semi gloss black (to prevent glare from sunlight) and the roof a glossy white, that'd be a sweet way to go. Never thought I'd like the white roof on a 60 until I saw a dark blue one with it. Loved the look.

Center section of hood semi flat black rocks!

Dynosoar:zilla:
DSC_0256.jpg

Center section of hood semi flat black rocks!

Dynosoar:zilla:

The louvres make that look REALLY good. Where'd you score those? Also did you rattlecan the black paint? Only thing I would've done different is I would've put bedliner along the leading edge (to match how I plan to do the lower half of my body, following the contour line.

The louvers are from Race Ace. And no its not rattle can, I had it sprayed when I did my repaint.

Dyno

If you want a nice looking paintjob on the cheap all you need to do is make a run down to the nearest tractor supply or similar store and pick up a gallon of their tractor and implement enamel and a cheap spraygun if you don't have one.

Overall I spent 80 between the enamel, hardener, thinner, and new spraygun. It turned out pretty nice too.
0806111738a.jpg
0807111612.jpg

Go for it. Contrary to popular myth, a darkly painted roof will not increase the temperature inside, unless, perhaps, you're going without a headliner. Brown and Black is fine, as a color combination. Borrow an air compressor, and shoot some color yourself. Don't mess with the rattle cans, they are hard to control.

Dark colors absorb heat better than light colors. They also radiate heat better than light colors. Does that make it a draw and the interior temperatures would be the same? Dunno, but the underside of my black Sub's roof was always warmer to the touch than the underside of my white Sub's roof.

Two vehicles with no headliners: BJ42 with white fiberglass roof, and FJ60 with black Line-Xed metal roof.

No question, the 60 got way hotter inside than the 42 ever did. The metal conducts the heat better than the FG does, and the black does not reflect like the white. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom