Yes, Emissions again... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy ya'll, I've failed emissions 4 times now. I just wanna get this thing legal so I can enjoy it without the cops hunting me down. I guess I need to rebuild the carb. Any other suggestions? Know of a good place that rebuilds carbs? I'm in Utah.

Catalytic converter.

What did it fail for - CO, HC, NOx? What have you done to it since the other tests?

60wag said:
What did it fail for - CO, HC, NOx? What have you done to it since the other tests?

The CO failed by quite a bit, I think 1.2 was passing, and I was 4.5 or so. I don't understand any of that. I've put in a brand new K&N, and run SeaFoam through a tank, and "Guaranteed" to Pass through another tank. While that combination lowered it about 1 point, I'm still 3x's too high.

Do a search on emissions failures. 60s usually seem to fail for high CO. In my experience, its frequently do do a weak or malfunctioning Air injection system. This includes the cat. The problem is, if the cat isn't getting enough fresh air from the air pump or ait switching valves, it can't do its job. The Toyota emmisions book is a must have if you plan to do any of the troubleshooting yourself. If not, find someone local who is familiar with FJ60s. Randomly replacing parts without a proper diognosis is expensive and likely won't fix it. You might have a carb problem but until you sure everthing else is working, I woouldn't make that leap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom