Yellow zinc plating, interior and under hood? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So what fasteners on the interior and under the hood were yellow zinc plated from the factory in Japan and what wasn’t? I know many exterior fasteners were not. How about radiator shroud ‘76-later? Thanks for the input guys.

The fan shroud on my May of 1980 was Cadmium coated. I'm not sold on the idea of redoing that. I may just powder coat it black.

The fan shroud on my May of 1980 was Cadmium coated. I'm not sold on the idea of redoing that. I may just powder coat it black.
Thanks for this. Anyone else know what they looked like under the hood when new?

Most of the sheet metal holding the body together were painted. It's really a hard thing to say because toyota changed their mind about what bolts got painted and what didn't monthly. Sales brochures that just show the motor can also be misleading because a lot of the time that was not how it appeared in the vehicles. It was more of a beauty shot.

Toyota shot all the sheet metal apart with primer and then put things like windshields, hoods and tubs together, bib and fenders were together as well hard top sides, spare tire carrier, doors, and ambulance doors were all painted bolted to the tub. Short block with head was painted as one sealed unit sans manifolds and other accessories. A lot of the brochures show the side covers, valve cover, and oil pan bolts plated but most of the early cruisers all those bolts were painted. Things really get interesting in 79 when Toyota went from the stamped number heads to the dished head hardware or stamped heads without the rings and just numbers. It changed monthly in the production line.

80 series are even worse.

@Trollhole thanks for this. I get where exterior parts fasteners were sprayed. On my ‘78 fasteners under dash along firewall all appear to be plated, the tranny hump cover has plated fasteners as well. Not sure about fuel filler shroud, rollbar fasteners, jump seat mounting fasteners, front seat bracket fasteners either? Under the hood could have been poser shots for the brochures with fasteners but some things that mounted to the inside fender wells where definitely plated on my ‘78. Just looking for accuracy, thanks for your responses all👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom