Builds Yellow Unicorn!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so its a bonus not to have to go under the truck to retrieve the spare.

A lot of them here have them directly under the tray in a pull out tray, so they are at waste height.

I am guessing Toyota Japan was being a little lazy when building this truck. Given that almost all 70 series in Japan are 24 volt they built this truck with 24 volt turn signals and wiring harness instead of using the 12 volt ones. How can you tell...they are stamped 24 volt and have a different plug than the 12 volt ones. Photo comparison below:

IMG_7059.JPG

IMG_7060.JPG

New fuel tank landed today--thanks Joe. The ute bed I had sitting around also had a drawer with it. Both the bed and drawer are a bit long so I started shortening the drawer today on a small spot I was able to carve out on my shop floor.

IMG_7069.JPG

IMG_7068.JPG

IMG_7070.JPG

IMG_7071.JPG

wow! what an amazing find!

Hoping to get the truck into the shop after the 4th as I have many parts to toss at it. I thought it might be getting lonely waiting for its turn in the shop so I picked this rig up from the port today. Yes it has a bubble roof, however I found an image of one that was painted black and has been played with in Japan to give you an idea what can be done with them. Also check out the mileage!

IMG_7149.JPG

IMG_7148.JPG

IMG_7087.JPG

Well now I can convert one of the fire trucks into a short bed or long bed!

IMG_7177.JPG

Had a quick moment so was able to pull the strange fuel tank and cut out the mounting brackets that were added to the frame to support it. Typically in the fire trucks the fuel tank is housed up high in the rear fire box.

IMG_7180.JPG

IMG_7179.JPG

I'm amaze by the oil temp gauge .. never seen it before in a Land Cruiser .. did it works ?

I'm amaze by the oil temp gauge .. never seen it before in a Land Cruiser .. did it works ?
Yes it does work. So far all the diesel powered 1HZ fire trucks I have owned have had this gauge.

Starting to test fit the new long range fuel tank:

IMG_7184.JPG

Bouncing between this truck and some other major projects. Grab 5 to 10 minutes here and there when I can during the day. As this fuel tank was originally designed for a 76 series I am having to customize the mounting for it. I was able to add some top supports for the tank today and tomorrow I hope to weld in the bottom strap supports. Trying to keep everything tight together as I will be adding the drawer system and the bed. Also started to remove the supports for the old Ute bed. Lots of cutting and grinding at the moment.

58440886643__9E86E2B6-41C6-4E3C-87B9-BA04B1898130.JPG

One thing I noticed while I have been grinding away on the truck is that it came with some really interesting rear tow hooks!

IMG_7190.JPG

Started to test fit the drawer and the Ute bed. Trying to minimize the distance between the drawer and the bed to keep the bed from getting too high, but also still allowing the drawer to open.

IMG_7191.JPG

Definitely a unique find!
What color is 361?

From what I can tell 361 is red, same color code is on the three 75 series ex fire trucks I have on site.

Yes it does work. So far all the diesel powered 1HZ fire trucks I have owned have had this gauge.

Hi Eco 45

Congratulations for the Yellow Unicorn , it is fantastic ! Can you show us , where the sensor for the oil temp is located in the engine ? I would like to add an oil temp gauge to my HZJ75 , HZJ80 & HDJ80 , but never managed to see where the sensor should be placed .
Thank you so much !

Portcruiser

Sorry for the lack of updates. Thought I had too much free time on my hands so decided to fly 2800 miles from home to rescue a truck from salt lands of the east cost. Limited time so I drove the 2800 miles back in 4 days. The truck was loaded with three axles, a complete transmission and t case and 4 complete split rims plus tires. The UHaul had a 1000 lbs plus in it of parts. I do have to say the RHD have a bit more foot space than the LHD. Yes I can still fill my bottom, but after the fourth day it was getting a little questionable. I have an addiction to cruisers!!

IMG_7207.JPG

IMG_7208.JPG

IMG_7210.JPG

Got to spend a little time on the truck. Finished welding in all the supports for both the flat bed and the drawer system. Have a couple of holes to drill and some final grinding. Then the back half of the frame will be power washed inside/out and then sand blasted clean. Anytime I weld on a frame I clean the inside of the frame and apply an internal frame coating paint as welding burns off any protective coating on the inside of the frame.

IMG_7214.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom