1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yellow Oil?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Race4ever, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Race4ever

Race4ever

Hello All,
    A few nights ago, while parked over some snow, I noticed two bright yellow spots under the cruiser on the passenger side right below the rear passenger door. I tried to look for any leaks but could not locate any? Today as I was driving the oil light came on briefly. The dipstick indicated oil was low (reason for the oil light) but I noticed on the paper towel, after wiping the dipstick there was a bright yellow tint around the typical brown color of the oil. I have a 95 LC80 w/ 101,000 miles and use Mobile 1 synthetic 10w/30.

The oil doesn't look "milky" like it was mixed with anit-freeze. I've been using Mobile 1 for the past 10-12 years, in different vehicles, and never noticed a yellow color or tint. Maybe it's just me. Also, are there any oil lines running down the passenger side of the vehicle? If so, for what? Any ideas and suggestions would helpful.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rogue

Rogue

First off, don't drink it. That's all I know.

3. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

There's nothing back there carrying oil, but it certainly could blow back there. I think even the brake lines run down the left side, though I've never seen yellow brake fluid either. What about the tranny fluid? How long have you had the truck? I'm thinking the yellow spots were from a dog, and the low oil light was coincidence, and you noted that there's a gold/yellow component on the dipstick that is normal and connected them.

DougM

4. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Used Oil Analysis

For true peace of mind, you could use one of the labs that tests oil - I think it's called a UOA - used oil analysis. I used Blackstone labs (not affiliated) and got answers back very quickly. They'll tell you if there is evidence of coolant in your oil, and many other things (like bearing metals). Also, if you are really into extended oil changes, they can tell you how the oil is holding up. I think it's about $20 per sample. They have a website with lots of info. I learned about it from (naturally) Bobistheoilguy!

Doug

5. Race4ever

Race4ever

Thanks for the quick responses!
    I'll do an oil change right away and try to send a sample for analysis.
    If anyone else has any more ideas, please let me know.
    Thanks!

6. landtoy80

landtoy80

Dump a bit of oil from the M1 oil can on the snow and see what it looks like.
    I bet it looks yellow.

7. xl715

xl715

The sunroof drains dump back by the rear tires, maybe there was some polen or something in your drain tubes tinting water run off yellow? Just a thought, but can't think of any thing else back there that would leak onto the ground. Apart from that I would have to side with the dog pee theory!!

8. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=11161;start=msg101084#msg101084 date=1076194569]
    Dump a bit of oil from the M1 oil can on the snow and see what it looks like.
    I bet it looks yellow.
    [/quote]

That's what I was thinking too.