Yeller Gold (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

then at some point in the future you can always join the sector shaft upgrade club!
That's what I thought, but you get into 80 tie rod ends to match the pitman arm, then the rod ends don't match knuckle arms., etc. I figured it wasn't worth all the extra effort and expense when running 33's.

Forgot to mention the 60 pitman doesn't fit the 105 sector shaft, so you have to use the 80.

Thanks guys, always great advice in the Sty!

I’m sticking to 33s so not planning on shaft upgrade. :beer:

Not fun, but progress…

527BD1B0-7BB2-42ED-AC32-CE3E12FCD445.jpeg
8E4619D2-2EE1-4F46-889B-88193BBDAB59.jpeg

Bright side, you have the lift!
That was a purchase I will never regret. I blew out my back a number of times in construction, knew I’d need a lift to keep this as a hobby.

Well despite what the packaging looked like it seems fine.

The old Pitman arm is very crusty, I’ll need to blast it for sure…it doesn’t go more than halfway on the splines.

474DDB7C-CA7F-4166-92BF-69EF13C5FF37.jpeg

Trying to get the rear axle program moving.

Unpacked the bearings and was pleasantly surprised

IMG_3099.jpeg

cleaning up axle shafts, from great to junk

IMG_3109.jpeg

long side is a winner, glad too because the other choice is so bad

IMG_3110.jpeg

on the short shaft between some pitting or destroyed seal surface. Leaning on trying the pitted one…worst case it eats the bearing sooner than I’d like.

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

That last one has seen better days. Is that a replaceable part?
The oil slinger is held on by the studs, yeah not so worried about that. It has basically no seal surface left outboard of where the bearing runs so I think it’s junk.

I spent 1-2 hrs polishing the pitted axle tonight and I’m definitely going to try it.

Still need to do so much just to get the axles bolted together, gotta fab the rear disk brackets still but need the axles in the housing (at least temporarily) to do that. Wish I had better donor axles to start with, oh well….water under the bridge now.

Life gets in the way, that happens on most things, getting my 1974 pig up to snuff for weekend duty has been no exception.

When I was a little kid my parents had a 71 that mom daily drove, it wasn’t long before my dad and uncle pulled the six and dropped in a 327, when that got tired dad put a Sears crate 350 in it. Other upgrades were 4 Mazda 808 bucket seats, power steering, shackle lift and pipe bumpers. By about 1983 it was done, I recall watching the road go by with the back doors closed, traded it off on a 1980 Cherokee Chief.

Fast forward a generation and I’m out wheeling with our “farm truck”, a 99 dodge quad cab in ex Ministry of Highways Yellow, this is good enough for years until the kids start getting big...I’m always kinda wistfully looking for a 55 for sale, most are so far gone or pricey they are non starters.

One day I search up FJ55 for sale and get a fresh ad, I’m the first caller, wife encourages me to go look. My buddy and I head into town and find it stuffed in a garage, fresh work has been done by the young guy selling it and it is very solid - for around here. Deposit is left and I return on the weekend to trailer it home.

View attachment 1974503

View attachment 1974507
Nice find. Has AC no less!

Is that a 55 axle or 60? I've got some stock 60 shafts you can have.
60 rear yup.

I’d see what local is around before taking you up on that generous offer Ron , I imagine shipping those all the way here is more than they are worth? Thanks!

Quick min in the shop tonight, gotta mull over the caliper mount now…I’ve got a couple ideas floating already.

IMG_3129.jpeg
IMG_3131.jpeg

I’ve not given up, just not making time.
We are slowly scrubbing the edge off the RF tire on the GX so I was tweaking the alignment on it today and spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning and pre-assembling the park brake.
IMG_4395.jpeg
IMG_4396.jpeg
IMG_4397.jpeg

still need to confirm the seal is correct.

Tiny steps, but still, progress 👍🏻

Park brake coming along, had to scroung up the right bolts and chase the housing threads as some PO had imperial bolts in there🤬
IMG_4438.jpeg

IMG_4439.jpeg

headed to dad’s and turned the bushings to fit the stock 55 rear shackle hangers and polished the drum seal surface a bit

IMG_4450.jpeg
IMG_4448.jpeg

IMG_4451.jpeg

no it’s not “perfect” but so much better than what came off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom