Yay! Just got my new SpringBar Tent!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
So I finally saved up enough to treat the family to a SpringBar. I have researched over the last year or two and this is what we decided on.
Quality, longevity, design, material, local/USA made and warranted, etc....

Also, reading a topic or two on Ih8mud.com helped as well. I am about an hour and a half from "Kirkham's" which is in Salt Lake City, and the "home of the springbar tent".

I wanted to give you guys a quick report.

First off - Great store. Comparable prices on all the normal stuff to most outfitters. SUPER Friendly and helpful staff. The store (including bathrooms) was clean, and easy to shop in.

All of the SpringBar's are upstairs and each model is setup for you to check out/handle. After having shopped around for a good year, the SpringBar's website does not do the tent justice.

I have four kids, and we like space to move around. We purchased the Colossus, with the included awning and a Portico (porch-like entry), ground canvas, and door-mat.

THE ONLY downfall or "con" to the system. Heavy duty and rugged tent = heavy duty and rugged weight and poles. Keep that in mind.

However, if you compare this to even a top notch Kelty or Coleman....which I have been through 3 tents in the last 6 years, it is no comparison.

Just handling the materials and quality you know your getting a well-made product. Thick zippers, heavy duty stitching, the whole gambit.

Yeah, they are a little more than a Kodiak, but the Kodiak doesn't come in a 12x16, is not made in the USA, and when I take a trip to Salt Lake with the family - if I have problem with any other tent I can't just drop it off for full service right at the factory.

I have no affiliation with SpringBar or Kirkhams.....just a happy customer.

If you are shopping for a tent for this summer - check out the SpringBars. EVERY one of their models is just as rugged and heavy duty as the monster version.

I even considered picking up a small 2-3 man tent for when I go on wheeling trips by myself!

Cheers all and happy expedition/camping this summer!

I'll post pictures when we get camp setup here in the next month.

Dallas

I have no affiliation with SpringBar or Kirkhams.....just a happy camper.
I fixed that for you ;)
Looking forward to the pics.

If I was in the market for a ground tent that is one I would pick up.
I have had many a nylon tent for both backpacking and carcamping, but if I was buying a new carcamping ground tent, I would go with that brand too.

Been using a springbar for almost 16 years. Still looks and sets up like new with no replacement parts over all those years. Might have been a little expensive originally but stands up to the tests of time. Wouldnt trade it for any other tent.

My parents have one that they bought in the late 60s. It still looks practically new.

my brother camps in a springbar and thinks its the best ever.

These tents are great. The outfitter 3 packs down to a size that fits perfectly in the back of an FJ40. Take care of it and you'll enjoy it for years.
#4 springmtns2008.jpg

Just scored a killer deal on a never been used Outfitter 3 Springbar off a friend

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

Quick Question - my wife is leaning towards at least the family 7. Is this a one person or two person job to set up?

takes about 15-20 minutes for me to do it by myself (mainly just cause you have to walk around and put stakes, back and forth for bars...) but easily a one man job

I got the kodiak and never put more than 4 stakes ,evan on windy day ,great buy!!!

These tents don't seem to have a lot of windows/air vents, etc. How is the air flow through these tents? Is it a hot box in the summer? Any condensation with the colder nights? Thanks.

This past weekend we were unable to find soft enough ground to drive our stakes in the ground at a campground in Sequoia Natl Park. Was like trying to pound through cement! Used our REI dome as a backup(glad I had it) Anyone have this problem?

This past weekend we were unable to find soft enough ground to drive our stakes in the ground at a campground in Sequoia Natl Park. Was like trying to pound through cement! Used our REI dome as a backup(glad I had it) Anyone have this problem?

Not cheap at all, but upgrade your stakes to SnowPeak #30 (12" stakes) from the flimsy stakes that come with the Springbar. I bent the hell out of the supplied stakes before taking a big gulp and buying 20 SnowPeak stakes at $5 each for my Traveler 5 (10x10 Springbar)! Forged steel I've pounded into very rocky ground w/o any bending or issues.

I've since sold my Springbar for a Ezzi-Awn Globetrotter for my trailer, but do miss the massive ground space of the Springbar. I don't miss pounding in 16 stakes, if you do every stake loop of the tent perimeter.

These tents don't seem to have a lot of windows/air vents, etc. How is the air flow through these tents? Is it a hot box in the summer? Any condensation with the colder nights? Thanks.

I am very interested in this as well. I have stopped sleeping in tents for this very reason. I live in TN and its very humid most of the year and EVERY thing mildews no matter how well I try to dry it out. I like the idea of a well made US tent but it doesn't look like its made for the humid South.

Thanks Brent for the stake advice. Where might I purchase those Snowpeak #30's? My wife and I had more success pitching our Springbar last week high in the Sierras near Mono Hot Springs. Regarding the Springbar's air flow, it got in the high 70's with a nice breeze. Positioned correctly, we had a nice air flow through the tend all day. Very little condensation. Temps got down to the low 30's and we were very cozy at 8,700ft.

DSC_2296.jpg

Thanks Brent for the stake advice. Where might I purchase those Snowpeak #30's? My wife and I had more success pitching our Springbar last week high in the Sierras near Mono Hot Springs. Regarding the Springbar's air flow, it got in the high 70's with a nice breeze. Positioned correctly, we had a nice air flow through the tend all day. Very little condensation. Temps got down to the low 30's and we were very cozy at 8,700ft.

Support the community - Equipt1 (http://www.equipt1.com/)- Paul May is the owner and a great guy. Kirkham does also carry them, but I like to support our offroad community. No affiliation, just a happy customer. I have these same Snowpeak stakes coming with Paul from AZ to Mountain Rendezvous here in SoCal this weekend for my Globetrotter annex!

Does the front fly close sufficiently to prevent a heavy down pour from trickling in?

Thanks for the info Brent! Have not had the tent in any kind of rain. Front fly seems pretty tight, outstanding quality zippers are used by Springbar. Will find out this Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom