Yaseu FT-7800R Install with pics. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I installed my Yaseu FT7800R Ham Radio and antenna.

The hardest thing about install devices like this is the wiring locations. I only wanted the detachable faceplate and mic visible.

So I also got the expansion kit which came with the radio.

I installed the main unit under the drivers seat. Very easy to do.

Just moved the seat forward as far as it could go.

Then I put two large pieces of velcro on the top and velcro'd it to the top of the floor vent/carpet under the seat. You cannot see the device unless you move the seat ALL the way up and look under the seat. No worries about the kids kicking it or even spilling anything on it.

Now there are 4 wires from the unit.

Antenna
Power
Speaker
Head Unit

As you will see in the final pic, the head unit is placed on the center console below the radio. So I had that wire go from under the center console to the RIGHT of the drivers seat and under the seat rail.

All three of the other wires needed to run under the drivers door sill to under the main dash.

Removing the door sill is as easy as pulling upwards on the sill piece and pulling upwards. I would start from the back nearest the rear. It is flatter and easier to grab.

Just a bit of advise....pull slowly and with some pressure. It will pop right up!

Also what I found was that if you move the drivers seat all the way BACK and look on the inside of the left hand seat rail, you will see a 2 inch slit in the carpet.

IMG00207.jpg

I used a fish tape and ran it towards the drivers door and it slipped right out under the carpet.

IMG00206.jpg

It is easiest, I found, is push the fish tape through he slit under the seat, when it comes out the other side, THEN attach the wires to the end of the fish tape and PULL it back through.

Here is the wire bundle after pulled through.

IMG00209.jpg

Fish tapping is much easier when pulling the wire, not pushing it.....No DIRTY JOKES PLEASE! :p:p

Once that is done, I snaked the wires along the side UNDER the blue brackets. Those brackets help protect wires from when stepping on the door sill.

IMG00208.jpg

Once I got everything snaked up to the front, I just popped out the drivers kick panel, lifted the carpet and snaked the wires under the dash.

I then snaked the antenna wire through the firewall and installed the antenna. I will post pics of the electrical details later tonight.

Using suggestions from the 100 forum, I used the rigrunner from West Mountain Radio - RIGrunner Description for a central electrical install location.

Here is a pic of the final install:

IMG00210.jpg

IMG00211.jpg

Here is the antenna, installed on the drivers side (I am actually going to switch it to the passenger side):

I used the diamond hatch panel mount because I wanted it to go onto the back hatch like I see on older LC's and FJ's.... BUT because toyota decide to change things..that the parts of the back hatch that are flat are glass, so that blew that thought!!
So the only place that I could find was on the hood.

IMG00213.jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ok, I installed my Yaseu FT7800R Ham Radio and antenna.

The hardest thing about install devices like this is the wiring locations. I only wanted the detachable faceplate and mic visible.

So I also got the expansion kit which came with the radio.

I installed the main unit under the drivers seat. Very easy to do.

Just moved the seat forward as far as it could go.

Then I put two large pieces of velcro on the top and velcro'd it to the top of the floor vent/carpet under the seat. You cannot see the device unless you move the seat ALL the way up and look under the seat. No worries about the kids kicking it or even spilling anything on it.

Now there are 4 wires from the unit.

Antenna
Power
Speaker
Head Unit

As you will see in the final pic, the head unit is placed on the center console below the radio. So I had that wire go from under the center console to the RIGHT of the drivers seat and under the seat rail.

All three of the other wires needed to run under the drivers door sill to under the main dash.

Removing the door sill is as easy as pulling upwards on the sill piece and pulling upwards. I would start from the back nearest the rear. It is flatter and easier to grab.

Just a bit of advise....pull slowly and with some pressure. It will pop right up!

Also what I found was that if you move the drivers seat all the way BACK and look on the inside of the left hand seat rail, you will see a 2 inch slit in the carpet.

Just an FYI: I have moved my 2m antenna mount (actually I left the hatch mount and installed an additional line so I can switch back and forth as needed) to a center of roof magnetic mount for superior ground plane. Made a huge difference (no surprise there to radioheads ;)).

Love the 2m though!

P.S.: You are moving right along on your mod list! I like watching your progress...

Just an FYI: I have moved my 2m antenna mount (actually I left the hatch mount and installed an additional line so I can switch back and forth as needed) to a center of roof magnetic mount for superior ground plane. Made a huge difference (no surprise there to radioheads ;)).

Love the 2m though!

I was thinking of a roof mount, but I need to get in the garage and was thinking that when the roof rack gets done, the roof antenna would just get in the way.

Thoughts?

I was thinking of a roof mount, but I need to get in the garage and was thinking that when the roof rack gets done, the roof antenna would just get in the way.

Thoughts?

I have the Comet SBB-5 that has a fold over. I fold it down and attach it to my crossbar with velcro when using as a DD.

If you're mainly going to utilize the radio for communicating with others on a run for instance they you'll probably be happy with your hood lip mount.

I think the mount was about $25 or so...you could order one and give it a try without too much $ risk (use the same antenna you have now).

Thoughts?
If you only use your radio on the trail, like many of us, just use an NMO mount and get a cover for it. Pull the antenna and install the cover when not in use.
The fold over style antenna Spresso uses is good idea. It has saved my antenna a couple of times when I drove under something to low. I would use both approaches.

If you have big stones drill a hole in the roof and use an NMO antenna mount. Pretty much everybody that is serious about HAM goes this way eventually.

If you only use your radio on the trail, like many of us, just use an NMO mount and get a cover for it. Pull the antenna and install the cover when not in use.
The fold over style antenna Spresso uses is good idea. It has saved my antenna a couple of times when I drove under something to low. I would use both approaches.

If you have big stones drill a hole in the roof and use an NMO antenna mount. Pretty much everybody that is serious about HAM goes this way eventually.

I think "eventually" is just around the corner on my rig ;). And maybe the Larsen antenna that Andy is running...

Hijack over!

Nice install!

I've been asking a lot of noobie questions lately, and here's another one. My dad used to be into HAM radio many years ago and still has a Collins setup with a ridiculously tall antenna. Where I go shooting, I do not have any cell service, but would like an "emergency" way of communicating with him. What's the best solution? I've never dabbled with amateur radio before. When you buy FRS/GMRS walkie-talkies they give an (albiet exagerated) range of say 25 miles. How far can CB travel? HAM? what's the difference and which is better?

Is this the best solution for emergency communications? I would need to to go at least 30-50 miles.

Nice install!

I've been asking a lot of noobie questions lately, and here's another one. My dad used to be into HAM radio many years ago and still has a Collins setup with a ridiculously tall antenna. Where I go shooting, I do not have any cell service, but would like an "emergency" way of communicating with him. What's the best solution? I've never dabbled with amateur radio before. When you buy FRS/GMRS walkie-talkies they give an (albiet exagerated) range of say 25 miles. How far can CB travel? HAM? what's the difference and which is better?

Is this the best solution for emergency communications? I would need to to go at least 30-50 miles.

The best solution for remote communications might be a sat phone. For the best rig-to-rig communication and/or possibly emergency communication (assuming you have adequate signal strength and/or repeater availability HAM is the way to go. Fortunately we have a majority of our club members and many more throughout California that have gotten serious with HAM mobile (specifically 2m). And fortunately I don't need to use CB anymore.

FRS/GMRS IMO isn't a viable solution. Based upon my experience the distance rating is WAY overstated for consistent use anyway.

We have found the typical and legal CB mobile set-up will get you, on a good day, just a few miles. HAM allows you to increase wattage (among other things) to reach out farther and better. And the FM sound quality is nice too especially in a convoy.

The space where you put the face plate. Is that an open cubby hole? My 15 LX has an ashtray there but since I am not a smoker I wonder if it can be removed. Also curious how you mounted the Sirius XM. I was able to get a special bracket to mount my Ham in my FJ Cruiser and really like that it is up high so I can read the display.

Dan Plemons has shared 1 photo with you!

I put mine in the same place (See my thread in my signature). For the LC this is above the ashtray, there is a piece of trim their. I got some triangle conduit and put between the trim and the faceplate so it would angle up and out

I put mine in the same place (See my thread in my signature). For the LC this is above the ashtray, there is a piece of trim their. I got some triangle conduit and put between the trim and the faceplate so it would angle up and out

Hard to see what is behind the face plate but I think this is the right direction. I just went out and looked and there is a small lip.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rdplemons/44043673412/

2a6ZkDw

Last edited:
My daughters GX has a similar setup. I couldnt find any triangle conduit so I got some soft wood and made one :D

Your picture doesnt come through BTW

My daughters GX has a similar setup. I couldnt find any triangle conduit so I got some soft wood and made one :D

Your picture doesnt come through BTW

I edited and added it using a different link. Does that work better? I seem to be having a bad day with the computer.

I edited and added it using a different link. Does that work better? I seem to be having a bad day with the computer.

Not for me

Use windows snip to make a jpeg and then upload it to your post. That way it isnt dependent on another site or user access

Not for me

Use windows snip to make a jpeg and then upload it to your post. That way it isnt dependent on another site or user access

I have a jpeg I just can't figure out how to post it. I click on the image icon it wants a url. Also tried the camera icon but that was a dead end. Just noticed there is an Upload File button at the bottom. Let me try that.

LX_Dash.jpg

I can see it now. It is the sloping down peice between the radio and the ash tray. Thats why you need a triangle shape to mount in between

when you are creating a post there are 3 orange buttons on the bottom right

The middle one says Upload File

Once uploaded, place your curser where you want the picture and select the orange button next to the image

I realize this thread was started 10 years ago, but I'm curious why the OP didn't mount his antenna on his bull bar? I'm sure the coverage/performance isn't that great, but probably comparable to at the edge of the hood?

I realize this thread was started 10 years ago, but I'm curious why the OP didn't mount his antenna on his bull bar? I'm sure the coverage/performance isn't that great, but probably comparable to at the edge of the hood?

I had the same question.

Line of sight? Just assuming it’s not in the way as much there on the side. Maybe a personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom