Yaseu FT-7800R Install with pics. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I prefer mounting the antenna on the tailgate. See my thread link in my signature for the part number.

Why do you prefer the tailgate? Line of sight?

several reasons. First it isnt obstructing my view. Second it is less likely to get smacked by a tree and the mount point is higher than the bumper or the hood. I have always mounted it there since my 80 10 years ago. I have never had a reception issue and typically can chat 20-30 miles depending on the terrain

I do have the antenna that folds over if needed. Fortunately I have 8ft garage doors so not an issue at home. It sits about as high as my CB antenna mounted on my rear bumper

It is a personal preference thing. Rachel had her CB antenna on her ARB front bumper on her 3rd gen and I always hated it there. It did fold down for when not on the trail

okay, it sits a bit higher than my CB antenna. I have a 3 ft CB antenna so it wont hit garages when parking in big lots

Capture.JPG

On my other daughters 100 series, her garage doors are only 7 ft high so the mount allows you to have it at any angle so it is angled a bit to clear

Looks like I could have mounted it lower on the tail gate as well

h1.JPG

Line of sight? Just assuming it’s not in the way as much there on the side. Maybe a personal preference.

When I eventually mount mine, I will avoid using the two mounts on my bull bar as well. I would find it distracting way out in front. Would prefer either rearward in the Hood, or rearward on my ladder.

I prefer mounting the antenna on the tailgate. See my thread link in my signature for the part number.

@Romer I have the same mount and antenna and I'm in the process of installing it on the rear hatch. How did you route the coax cable coming off the mount?

I ran it along the glass up and then over to the inside roof of the truck going behind the molding all the way to the radio main unit which is mounted on the underside of one of the drawer trim pieces. I have the face plate on my dash as show in my build thread

I have my General license for HAM but am just getting started in mobile HAM. My understanding is that for operation on a UHF/VHF radio you will get the best signal if the antenna is mounted on the roof in the middle. The roof acts like a ground plane. For an HF radio, you can use a rear bumper or rear mount.

I have my General license for HAM but am just getting started in mobile HAM. My understanding is that for operation on a UHF/VHF radio you will get the best signal if the antenna is mounted on the roof in the middle. The roof acts like a ground plane. For an HF radio, you can use a rear bumper or rear mount.

Not sure what you would mount it to on the roof. I prefer the rear tailgate and I get awesome distance and reception. Being on the roof also makes it an obstacle that can hit things

Not sure what you would mount it to on the roof. I prefer the rear tailgate and I get awesome distance and reception. Being on the roof also makes it an obstacle that can hit things
Good point about hitting things! See attached image of my mount, which is magnetic and surprisingly strong. You can unscrew the antenna as well. Just another option!

image.jpg

Not sure what you would mount it to on the roof.

The best mount is drilling a 3/4" hole in the center of the roof and installing a NMO mount. But yeah, there are problems with that too.

I have the same Diamond swivel mount on the upper tailgate that you posted awhile ago. I have a Larson antenna on it that's about 3' long. It whacks the garage door when I go in and out, but it works really well.

Like tires, every antenna mount style has compromises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom