Yank with LJ78 in Pakistan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all and greetings from beautiful Pakistan!

I am a frequent lurker in the FJ60 area, but with my baby currently in storage in the US, I purchased a 91 LJ78 turbo diesel automatic here in Pakistan this week. 72,000 km and it is in very good shape. Got it duty free here for $5,300 US and even talked the dealer into new rubber all around.

I always loved the simplicity of my 60, so all these damn switches and buttons for the 4WD are a bit daunting at first, expecially with no owners manual. If anyone has an idea where I can snag a manual I would be most grateful.

I'm planning on running 15-40 diesel rated oil in it, but any other tricks of the trade would be most well recieved.

Thanks to all,
DS

sounds fun, post up pics. what you doing there??

My cruiser

I wish I could say that I am on vacation and just here for the amazing trekking opportunities, but I am here working.

The pic is attached (I think), more will follow.

Best Regards,
DS
Dave's Pak Cruiser.jpg

If you've never had a diesel before you want to ensure that the fuel you get is clean and free of water. There is likely a "Filter" light on the dash. When that comes on, shut off the engine and drain the water separator right away. Not when you get home or next week or....
Allow the engine a minute or two to cool down before shutting down to allow cool oil into the turbo and keep it from coking the turbo bearings (most common cause of turbo failure).
Make sure your 15W-40 oil is turbo rated as well.

Can you direct me to the general location of the water seperator? There is BP Diesel here, avaialble pretty much everywhere here, but I will keep an eye on it. Do you recommend a fuel additive/dryer to ensure this is not a problem?

Thanks,
DS

Well, heck...

Why not jump in and see "if" the theory is correct. The LJ is a rotory pump, and it seems Toyota uses a combined fuel filter/water seperator, unlike the inline pump equipped engines, which has a seperate water sedimenter, and fuel filter on the engine.

DS, check this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=30994&page=1 go to post #23. Moose posted a picture of the stock water seperator/filter for his rotoy pump 3BII. Taking another stab here; yours will likely be on the firewall in the engine bay.

g(jumping into unknown)b

I think he ment post #22 ;) :flipoff2:

fuel filter part number:
23303-64010
fits:
84/11 to 95/01 2L* ... LJ7*
88/08 to 94/02 3B ... BJ70,73, 75
90/01 to 92/08 1PZ ... PZJ7*
93/05 to 96/04 1KZT... KZJ7*
90/01 to 99/08 1HZ ... HZJ7*

HTHs

Very nice deal.. Congrats.. Looks pretty clean as well.. We have this problem with the feul here in Paklistan now and then.. I have inserted an extra feul filter in my B2 powered Cherokee near the feul tank. That helped reduce the problem.
Ehsan

wesintl said:
Great to see you overhere in the MUD Ehsan!.. BTW I love my repro top :)

One day an Ehsan repo top will grace my BJ42...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom