Yakima SkyRise 3 Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
any word on how well this works on an 80 series? i realize there are massive trade offs to using a conventional tent but i’ve never tried one.

what do they retail for? what should i check out? should i grab one if i can pick it up for $500?

not completely sold on sleeping on top of my vehicle but if it is a steal and they are great i’d grab it and at worst resell it.

thanks

I have the Skyrise 3 that I picked up at a REI Garage Sale for $500. It looks like REI doesn't carry them anymore, but other retailers have them for ~$1000.

For the money, I think it is a decent tent. It is thin material (think regular backpacking tent) but I have been in mine in torrential downpours and 30-40mph winds and it has held up fine and kept me dry. The 95lb weight makes it fairly easy to mount and remove. As with most tent marketing, what is sold as a three person tent is really just for two. This one is no different.

I will say that Yakima's warranty is awesome. Even though I bought a discounted floor model with some expected wear and tear, they still sent me some missing pieces and a new fly no questions asked.

Pine Barrens.jpg

I have the Skyrise 3 that I picked up at a REI Garage Sale for $500. It looks like REI doesn't carry them anymore, but other retailers have them for ~$1000.

For the money, I think it is a decent tent. It is thin material (think regular backpacking tent) but I have been in mine in torrential downpours and 30-40mph winds and it has held up fine and kept me dry. The 95lb weight makes it fairly easy to mount and remove. As with most tent marketing, what is sold as a three person tent is really just for two. This one is no different.

I will say that Yakima's warranty is awesome. Even though I bought a discounted floor model with some expected wear and tear, they still sent me some missing pieces and a new fly no questions asked.

View attachment 1984832

thanks mingles. saw one and just assumed they were $1.5K or something.

so can you describe how you use it? pros? cons? is there a particular type of traveling when you use it?

i’m thinking from what i’m hearing i would throw $300 max at it if they wanted to take an offer.

I only have about a dozen nights in it over the last year, and those have been spring/summer/fall trips. No winter yet. I occasionally use it on Boy Scout trips or visiting relatives where I want my own space. I'm not hard on equipment, so with my occasional use, I think it will last several years.

I like the idea of sleeping on the roof but the ladder can be a PIA for some folks, especially pets. I like my dog to sleep in the tent with me and that is not easily feasible in a RTT.

As you suggested, if you can get one cheap, try it out and if you don't like it sell it on CL.

While you've looking you should take a look a Tepui roof top tents. Box Rocket is a Mud member, and is a vendor for Tepui tents. You might want to contact him before you buy, sometimes he offers special sales on them to Mud members

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom