Yakima Exo SwingBase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This looks like a fairly new product. Does anybody have experience with it on a 200?

I think it's unique for what it is and an interesting system. The configurability can't be beat. And to get anything like it, probably going to have to roll your own.

Looking at the thing, I do have some concerns.
1) Weight. The setup is no doubt stout, but I think when configured out, is going to be heavy. Installing it and storing it may be heavy and space consuming
2) Just eyeballing the thing, there's a chance its tallest point is too close and too tall to clear the tailgate, even in swing-away position
3) It does look ergonomic and usable once setup. The upper deck of this thing was an inspiration for how I setup mine.

A number of us have created similar contraptions if you want to check it out here:

I love the idea that the rack accessory can be converted to a wheeled cart.

Looks like these things can be bought at REI, I've always had good luck with returns there if the fit isn't right.

Last edited:
This looks like a fairly new product. Does anybody have experience with it on a 200?

For that price range, you might consider getting a kuat and a fold up hitch carrier.

EXO is spendier than other options. I like the modular concept - but to “get started” is $1,200 give or take, for a swing out and 2 bikes. Also agree with the other posters above who see the flaws.

Just wondering if any mudders have hitched one on yet. Yakima is a little light on details too. As pointed out above, it’s sold by REI, so returns are easy… and dividends if not. :)

Last edited:
Anyone got a picture of this on their rig yet?
Yes indeed. I took the EXO plunge a couple weeks ago, then took a long road trip to test it out with two bikes.

First, the Swingbase by itself is heavy, but I see it as heavy-duty. Once it is in place and the locking bolt is ~fully~ tightened, it’s rock solid. Tested this pretty thoroughly on the highway and a few “green and blue” trails in the Rockies, with bikes on.

Second, as everyone here knows, Mr. T’s plastic bits around the receiver interfere with just about every pin, lock, and hitch product out there, including regular trailer hitches. I’m considering trimming part of this plastic out. It seems to fit better and is easier to torque down with the bolt entering from the driver’s side. (YMMV)

Third, the DoubleUp bike rack is easy to assemble, fasten, load, and operate. It’s weight is awkward but easily manageable. The locking ‘tongue and groove’ mechanism - for lack of a better name - that connects and secures the accessory racks to the Swingbase was new to me, but it is pretty slick - and it stayed securely in place for 2,200 miles and many uses. Maybe I’ll post more on this later.

Saving the most important for last! Yes, the hatch and tailgate will both open with the Swingbase in place - in both folded and open positions. ** See caution below ** Hatch will open with DoubleUp installed, but not with bikes (duh). Neither will open without hitting bikes in the closed position, but no problems when it is swung out of the way. Easy to operate the swing and lock, locks open and closed. Closure has an extra hand-operated giant “wing nut” locking handle to tighten it all down.

** Caution: this locking handle MUST be turned “level” otherwise the tailgate will hit the end of it when turned vertically. I’ll post separately about a lesson learned. **

Now for a few pics of the Swingbase only (on a 2018 LC).

22420507-FCC4-4C2E-AFC1-B924342C2E2A.jpeg
2361DC3F-2A31-4E08-A24D-859A04A7B215.jpeg
F7964406-1F52-4669-A4CF-77365CDA879D.jpeg
FEB0F7A0-017D-4917-A4E3-F5947A7D45E0.jpeg
0A8F0D53-E0C0-47BB-B4C8-5AD3C09F882B.jpeg

And a pic of the DoubleUp loaded with two bikes, in the open position.
8E974BEE-1A7D-49E6-82FE-E2184C64CCDA.jpeg

So here is the lesson learned:
Always tighten the handle and leave it level with the ground. Always.

I had opened the Swingbase, removed the racks, and then left the Swingbase locked, but that handle was not engaged and [Edit: able to spin freely]. I left it like that, forgot about it, made a quick trip a few blocks. Someone who shall remain nameless opened the tailgate and sat on it. The handle had apparently oriented itself into a vertical position during the ride. Result: I’m making a trip to have the dent pulled out soon. :-/

03765546-A9F6-4A86-9A98-9CCE59ADBB8B.jpeg
D061D0BB-1A92-40EE-81B8-D3BB6108DE96.jpeg
F18E460D-2C57-4E60-AB52-2D49861A87F1.jpeg
C07EA837-B3BA-4C65-A69F-23463CDB588B.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes indeed. I took the EXO plunge a couple weeks ago, then took a long road trip to test it out with two bikes.

First, the Swingbase by itself is heavy, but I see it as heavy-duty. Once it is in place and the locking bolt is ~fully~ tightened, it’s rock solid. Tested this pretty thoroughly on the highway and a few “green and blue” trails in the Rockies, with bikes on.

Second, as everyone here knows, Mr. T’s plastic bits around the receiver interfere with just about every pin, lock, and hitch product out there, including regular trailer hitches. I’m considering trimming part of this plastic out. It seems to fit better and is easier to torque down with the bolt entering from the driver’s side. (YMMV)

Third, the DoubleUp bike rack is easy to assemble, fasten, load, and operate. It’s weight is awkward but easily manageable. The locking ‘tongue and groove’ mechanism - for lack of a better name - that connects and secures the accessory racks to the Swingbase was new to me, but it is pretty slick - and it stayed securely in place for 2,200 miles and many uses. Maybe I’ll post more on this later.

Saving the most important for last! Yes, the hatch and tailgate will both open with the Swingbase in place - in both folded and open positions. ** See caution below ** Hatch will open with DoubleUp installed, but not with bikes (duh). Neither will open without hitting bikes in the closed position, but no problems when it is swung out of the way. Easy to operate the swing and lock, locks open and closed. Closure has an extra hand-operated giant “wing nut” locking handle to tighten it all down.

** Caution: this locking handle MUST be turned “level” otherwise the tailgate will hit the end of it when turned vertically. I’ll post separately about a lesson learned. **

Now for a few pics of the Swingbase only (on a 2018 LC).

View attachment 3077417View attachment 3077418View attachment 3077419View attachment 3077420View attachment 3077421
Looks well engineered! I appreciate the in-depth description and pictures! Thanks

Looks well engineered! I appreciate the in-depth description and pictures! Thanks
Yep, sturdy. I should have added that it’s steady on the road too, the bikes were not bouncing around like other racks I’ve had. If I upgrade or add stuff, I’ll report back, but for now the wallet needs a breather.

Nice! When and where did you buy the box? It’s been out of stock for a while now. Thanks for posting. That might be next on the list.
I purchased it in March of 22. It was hard to track down even then but I found one in store at an REI here in the Chicago area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom