yakima A1 tower location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anyone know what my options are for placing this yakima rack i picked up? i’m leaving the OEM rack on the hood but seems like there is only one good place for this thing? behind the sunroof and in front of the rear pillars?

also, are there basically three pillar locations here where the load gets transferred directly down to the frame?

THANKS

13B7EC4A-4A1B-4BF5-A1B5-775661EE7269.jpeg

I put mine in line with the factory rack mounting points. What are you putting on the rack?

View attachment 2004121

thanks. looks like that is where i am putting them.

seems like two of the metal parts are curved in some way so i have to figure a way to flatten them somehow.

not sure yet. camping gear i guess. maybe a canoe or something.

- jon

Bear with me here. Since we have the old-school "rain gutter" roofs on these cruisers, can't one conceivably mount the towers anywhere?
Caveats being intended total weight, blocking the sunroof, and carrying long materials or stuff.
@hotwheels2017 I think you (and everyone else) are fine with 1A towers being placed at/near factory mount location. If it were me carrying a canoe however, I would kick them as far forward and as far to the rear as I could for that trip.

Bear with me here. Since we have the old-school "rain gutter" roofs on these cruisers, can't one conceivably mount the towers anywhere?
Caveats being intended total weight, blocking the sunroof, and carrying long materials or stuff.
@hotwheels2017 I think you (and everyone else) are fine with 1A towers being placed at/near factory mount location. If it were me carrying a canoe however, I would kick them as far forward and as far to the rear as I could for that trip.

thanks. all good points. i meant to respond to @voodu3 and everyone for the help.
i think between having the wind deflector deal on the front one wanting to ride on the sunroof if i moved it further and remembering folks suggesting to put it over the structural locations for tents that i tricked myself up a bit.
i’m putting them at the OEM cross bar locations but your point to move them further forward and back is well taken.
and nice rig @NewbyColorado !

That is exactly what I do when I carry my canoe.

58Oqx9Fh.jpg

The key is to have as many mounts as you can get so you spread out the load on the raingutter. If you only have four, you'll have higher point load conditions. If you have six, your point load drops 33% per point.

Example:
600 LB total including rack:
4 points = 150 Lb each
6 points = 100 Lb each
8 points = 75 Lb each.

The Prinsu rack follows the complete length of the rain gutter and thus spreads the complete load the length of the gutter to minimize the chance of failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom