Yaesu FT-1500M repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
My awesome 2M radio needs some TLC and was thinking about repairing it myself since Yaesu no longer carries the parts for this old radio. Has anyone opened up their FT1500M? The freq changing knob broke off which might be doable but the LCD isn't displaying all digits like they used to. That one might require desoldering, assuming I can find the display. This radio is small so it lives inside the center console and debris tend to collect on the display.

Yaesu gave me a whole list of third party repair centers so I sent them an inquiry email.

FT1500M_2.jpg

FT1500M_1.jpg

Last edited:
That looks kind of rough. If it were me, I would have a dollar limit in the back of my mind and be prepared to go to plan B if it is not going to me economically feasible for repair.

Larry in El Paso

If you can find the volume control it might be worth it. The display could easily just be a connection problem given the condition of the unit.

Beyond that, a used radio is probably the way to go.

BTW, I'm a Yaesu fan for mobiles and handhelds.

If you can find the volume control it might be worth it. The display could easily just be a connection problem given the condition of the unit.

Beyond that, a used radio is probably the way to go.

BTW, I'm a Yaesu fan for mobiles and handhelds.
I don't think Yaesu makes another radio THIS small, which is the main reason why I bought it. Let me tear into it and see what I can do! Radio is fully functional, just doesn't look pretty.

Last edited:
I've got an yaesu ft-90 for that very reason. It's tiny enough for the dash of the 200 because there's not many mounting options with that dash. I've got another one that doesn't power on correctly, need dig into it and see if I can get it going.

Eureka!!! The rotary knob will be easy to replace, if I can find a replacement. Not sure about the LCD but will know more when I take it apart. There might be a p/n on the back of the LCD that I might be able to use for a replacement.

Last edited:
Have you tried your local HAM club? I had a problem with a radio, and there's a few retired guys in the club that can fix anything. I traded some steaks for the work. We were both happy.

Have you been able to source the encoder?

Have you been able to source the encoder?
No, haven't tried- got distracted with more pressing projects.

I have a very lightly used one. I replaced the mic with a knock off chicom ebay one. If you want to talk , PM me. I am on mud once a week, so bear with me if you are interested

I love my 1500m. I use it for APRS and backup 2m duty to my 8800r. Hopefully you can get it fixed and back in service.

That radio isn't very expensive new, is it?

It looks like it's been roughly handled. Probably better to buy new and sell yours off.
It's NLA and it works fine. It lives mounted facing up on the side of the center console so the face sees the usual wear and tear. Even though the center console lid is always closed, debris still find it's way there Someone here contacted me about selling his unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom