Xmas in Southern Utah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Can't beat it.....just love the desert in the winter and since I don't celebrate LBJ Day, I wanted to get out of town ASAP.

Met up with Mot in Monument Valley, UT on Friday night and stayed there at Gouldings. Great to see my Japanese friend, though Gouldings itself was nothing to write home about and I think I got food poisoned there.

Next day headed up Rt. 191 to Mexican Hat and then dropped into Butler Wash and did some ruin hiking that Ali showed us a couple of years back.

Made it out and then hoofed it over Rt. 95 towards Natural Bridges. I was going to go up to Bear's Ears, but the snow got too thick as I head up. Stomach feeling progressively worse. Decided on heading in to Red Canyon. Beautiful country. Set up camp, ate, and went to bed. Awoke around 3am with awful stomach pains, alternately threw up and expelled projectiles downward till 7am.

Feeling too ill to do anything else, I tried my best to get organized and get out before I keeled over from pain. Still throwing up/projectiling. Terrible being in the back country and needing to get out but realizing that weather is approaching, I have possibly 50 canyon-floor stream crossings if it starts to rain, along with possible mud, extraction, etc. Not good.

Finally got out and got myself to Monticello. Holed up in a hotel for almost a day and half while I got better.

Got home today, happy that I didn't suffer some traumatic ulcer in the backcountry. I would have been, as Abbey said, vulture food (or dog food for Raj).

Anyway, a few pics.
:cheers:
IMG_0037.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg

Last edited:
The best Onur. Can't beat it.

As far as the food poisoning ... BTDT. Not fun.

oh man, sucks about the food poisoning dude. Nice road trip'n though.

Nice photos. I love that part of southern Utah.

Nice pics Onur!

Glad you made it OK.
Cant wait to do something like this on LBJ day as well.
Maybe when I get out there we can make it a annual thing?

The pics make me wan to go there...in the Spring. Love that part of Utah. Bummer about hostile bacteria.

LBJ day? what is that?

ahh.....

Are you saying that you are too good to need Jesus? Is there any real hope without Him?

Romans 3:23- For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

It's not all bad though...Romans 5:8- But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. It is just matter of receiving Him and what He has done for us.

By the way, nice pics!

It's not all bad though...Romans 5:8- But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. It is just matter of receiving Him and what He has done for us.

By the way, nice pics!

:lol:

:lol:

Don't worry....I was with the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and my best friend the Yeti on this trip.

Good job of dodging that one

Don't worry....I was with the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and my best friend the Yeti on this trip.

I'm glad you made it out of the backcountry to be able to hole up in a hotel to recover. I once spent several days at a pensionne in a small village in Turkey riding out a parasite that not only gave me "rapid transit" in both directions but also a hallucination-producing fever. Onur, your homeland has some really heinous gut bugs...

Santa was busy, eh? maybe he'll have time to make it to CM2011. I hear he has summer off. :lol:

I know I PMed you, just missed you out there. Probably crossed some of the same tracks. If you do it again next year let me know, only spent one full day exploring, could do a week. No bugs though ok.

Onur - Thanks for the pics. It sounds like it could have been a great trip - WITHOUT the stomach bug. No fun there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom