1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XM Roady Mounting Ideas

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by NorCalDoug, Jul 12, 2005.

1. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Anyone have their XM Roady installed in their vehicles?
    I'm looking for mounting ideas for the unit and placement ideas for the antenna.

By the way, a huge thanks to Cards81fan :cheers: for the post letting us know about the Dockers/XM Radio offer. I got some pants that I needed anyhow and a free XM radio and 3 months paid subscription -- they're trying to get us hooked ;)

I'd prefer something non-permanent so I can move the unit from the wife's truck to mine, but that's not necessarily a hard requirement. I could get a 2nd antenna if that works out to be easier in the long run...how much do those antennas cost?

2. Critter

Critter

I mounted mine down in front of and to the right of the transfer case shifter. The antenna is mounted out the back. You need a decent flat surface with a good bit of metal around it for the antenna.

3. LabRat11

LabRat11

One word - Velcro

4. NorCalDoug

Velcro - shortened from Velvet Crochet.
    Darned useless trivia stuck in my head.

Velcro on shifter console? Velcro on dash?

I doubt I could velcro the antenna :flipoff2:
    But would a magnet work?

5. airon23

airon23

Media:
    Albums:
    what's the dockers/xm radio offer?

6. Critter

Critter

The antenna is already held on by a magnet. None of it is permenantly mounted really.

7. NorCalDoug

8. patpend2000

patpend2000

I just installed my Dockers/Xm in my 91 FJ80. As for the antenna, it doesn't need to be on the exterior of the car. I have my stuck magnetically to the vin tag on the dash board, it works w/o a problem there. You will get an occasional dropped signal w/underpasses, tunnels and heavy tree cover.

As for mounting the Roady, I'm trying to figure something out as well. I was thinking that a JDM upper console w/o the altimiter and compass might be a great spot.

Kelly

9. loeky

loeky

i just picked up one of these last weekend and am psyched about it. i bought the $12 remote and mounted the swivel bracket on a perfect spot between the glove box and radio/climate controls in my 60. i am debating getting that swivel arm that's on ebay for $12 which mounts to the seat bolt and flexes/rotates.

next is the tuffy console, head unit and some newer speakers so there's no more static from the factory dials :|

as for the antenna, i just stuck it beneath the climate controls on the metal cross piece. it points down and is out of view, but i still get perfect coverage and haven't had any drops.

10. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

You're welcome Doug :)

Oh, and I never checked back on that thread. Only on mud would something for free draw the criticism and bullshit and turn into an XM/Sirius debate! But whatever :rolleyes:

Oh, And I mounted the roady2 using the AC vent mounts. Makes it nice and easy to snap out of place. I have decided I will get a 2nd antenna to use between 2 vehicles (I know the antenna works inside, but damn that's alot of cord to mess with).

The cheapest place I have found was on the XM site, and it ran about 20 bucks. On ebay the freakin things were 30 when I looked. Idiots!

11. Koffer

Koffer

My roady is tossed in with the crap in my work van .
    The 80 has had 2 XMs so far
    One was the Commander
    and then when I got the navi system I added the toyota XM unit to it a little later and pulled the commander out (for sale cheap and comes with the console too )