XM Radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post, bought a Cruiser last week.

I am having problems getting an XM radio tuner to work. Still haven't heard if Toyota makes a tuner (salesman still checking) and my audio shop says that I can't add an aftermarket one because of no aux port as my changer takes it up. Would have to add an aftermarket deck, I guess.

The FM modulator is too poor for sound quality, and I don't want to be sticking tapes in all the time.

Whats everyone doing? Am I getting incorrect info on compatibility?

Thanks-

John

i have sirius in both vehicles and it does great w/the fm setup. are you picking up other stations along w/satelite signal or what? did you install it? are you in a large city/metro area w/lots of radio stations? what brand?

i had to disable the power antenae in my car to get a clean sound, i was picking up a radio station on every one of the choices on the sat. radio (jvc). of course none of this answers what could be wrong w/yours............

oh, and welcome.
scott

No, I'm probably one of the more rural members here - one of the reasons I bought a cruiser. Didn't have any interference with other channels (or so I think).

I have 2 radios already, a home one, and in my Rubicon. I tried the Roady in the Cruiser yesterday as FM modulator and it sounded like AM. Sounds great with the tape, but I don't like that method.

Don't want to go to Sirius because I'm XM all around (started XM due to a GM vehicle).

Toyota can't do XM (finally found out), so I'm checking out an aftermarket deck at lunch that will have an AUX jack for my XM to plug into.

John

I guess the big question is this: why can I get a sirius tuner and not an xm, if they have to install another item anyway, you'd think they hook up the same, unless there is some proprietary sirius jack that the xm can't use.

There's really no Aux jack on it?

Thats what I did to my Rubicon, and used the disc changer output. It is not compatible with Nav vehicles, or those with 6disc "DVD" changers. I'm not sure why Toyota calls it DVD, it even says it on the Nav screen. Maybe I can watch DVDs with it? :confused: Doubt it, but haven't tried.

John

rocket science

In our FJ40, we left the stock radio in the dash and mounted a shelf above the visors for the 'real' radio that has an aux input on the front for the XM input (an old Sony plug and play). A simple solution for a simpler Landcruiser. Sounds like its going to take an engineering team and a couple hackers to figure out your situation.

Instead of dumping the head unit, why not dump the CD changer? You can buy an adapter that can switch between two sources that installs in the CD changer port. Then you can use the XM and an MP3 player (which is much better than a CD changer). And, you can sell the changer on eBay for some extra scratch.

"Here's the adapter:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QkOxKW....asp?I=581DFTOY"

now that is a cool idea! i have been thinking about the ipod for more variety and that is the solution!

How do you switch sources using that device?

mscott said:
How do you switch sources using that device?

I have a single source adapter that I use for my MP3 player, I just have to hit the CD button on the head. The description says that you can switch using the head as well, so maybe tap it twice for the 2nd source. BTW, I can change source with mine by simply plugging the phone jack into something else other than the MP3 player, which I do with my laptop to play DVD's for the kids.

OK, Got it figured out:

Apparently, Toyota switched to Sirius 3 months ago. I talked to Parts at the dealership and he was able to find an xm tuner to put in.

Expensive though....thats the price you pay to have it look great (i.e. can't see it.)

Wondering about the DVD changer in the console. I'll find out if it plays DVD's tonight.......

John

Hah, I just bought that XM Tuner for my 05, Would've liked to have Sirius though. I bought it on Dec 31, 2004 and the Head Unit was compatible, but not ready.

For any of you who may be wondering (I'm assuming Sirius is the same deal), The head unit has to be compatible and it needs to have a satellite tuner installed as well. Once those are in place, you can call XM and start your service.

Doug

do u know or does the parts guy know if that add on tuner will work in a 2003 with navigation?

Sorry, but I have no idea.

What I would suggest you do is contact the manufacturer of the Nav system and ask one of their techs if the inner workings are compatible with the Toyota Tuner. The Toyota dealer is nearly clueless.

I'll see what I can find.

Doug

On mine it talked about XM in the Nav instruction manual, not the vehicle one, leading me to believe its compatible with the Nav. That's why I kept pressing them on having xm for it.

So, I would assume it would work. Have the dealer tell you, cause if they install it and it doesn't, the fault lies with them, IMO.

We'll find out if it works in 2 days. I'm not 100% positive it will, because I have an 06, and it's possible something may be different.

John

ndcruiser said:
Maybe I can watch DVDs with it? :confused: Doubt it, but haven't tried.

John

Thread hijack!

My understanding is yes, you can play a DVD on the Nav screen, but the tranny needs to be in park. Some people have modified this to allow the DVD to play will the vehicle is in motion.
Shoot me a P.M and point you to some reading on this.

Thread hijack off!
CTapia

i am able to play dvds on my nav screen while the vehicle is in motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom