1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XM Radio

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 72FJ40LandCruiser, Jul 25, 2005.

1. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Who has XM and who likes it? Who has Sirius and who likes it? Which is best?

I've been eyeing the XM2 Go, but would like something that also doubles as an MP3 player. All I want is flash card capabilites, like an SD Card. To be able to pop in a 1 gig SD card in the XM2 Go and use it as an mp3 player also I'd be set.

2. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Just got a XM Delphi Roady 2 and love it. $50 at Best Buy. I was going to go Sirius, but Windows Media Center has internet-streaming XM capability with a discounted fee if you already have an XM account. Got mine set up so I can move it from car to car like a portable CB(velcro and magnetic antenna are nice :D ).

3. 3puttcop

3puttcop

XM Xcounrty is the best

4. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

Another vote for XM here. I love it when I'm on long cross-country trips.

5. Land Speeder

Land Speeder InstaH8R

Media:
    Albums:
    Ditto. And it worked on the trails at Tellico this past weekend. Now that's cool.

6. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    One vote for Sirius here. Got it in the Cruiser. Also, you can log-in from your computer and listen to it with your account.

I have heard that if you have XM, you can listen to it on Dish Network at home, but we have DirecTv.

7. Arleaux

Arleaux

Another vote for Sirius, I did being able to log on to any computer.

8. buckroseau

buckroseau May I have another!!!

Another vote for Sirius here! Not sure why I got it over XM, I think because the salesperson said he prefered Sirius.

Friend of mine has XM, we both listen to the same type of music. When he's at work he uses my password to log on to Sirius to listen to it. After listening to Sirius he wishes he would have gotten that instead of XM. But, I/we can only speak for that type of music which him and I listen to. The stuff I/we listen to is more contempary rock (Tool, Audioslave, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Stained, Chevelle, etc.....)

How XM and Sirius compare in the other music areas.......Don't have a clue, I only listen to 2 or 3 channels in my Sirius :)

Matt

9. Koffer

Koffer

I love my XM
    I have a roady2 which goes in my house or I take it and put it in the work truck.
    The 80 had a commander but I replaced it with a addon to the toyota Navi system I put in .
    As for portable XM has at least 3 styles of units . the Other guys have a unit that will not RX outside its house cradle and only holds under a hour worth of stuff .
    Look around as XM stuff is smaller and about 2+ years ahead of the other with tech equipment .
    Got to www.myradiostore.com to get a look at whats out there

10. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

I got the Sirius before I drove the 45 to Death Valley in April. AWESOME! Swapped it into the 40 for MOAB! Even Better! Just bought another car kit to put it in the 60 yesterday.

And that was before I found out about the free online access once you sign up. \

LONG LIVE ROCK! :cool:

11. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

another vote for sirius. I really like it alot. can't imagine going back to regular radio. Especially up here!! I can see in a big city some guys not bothering. But if you live in the sticks it is a must. Or traverse the large prairies.

as far as whats better. should have made it a poll! cause I doubt many have tried both. They are probably good equally. same thing anyhow.

12. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Sirius Rocks!!! I have it in my Cruiser and love it. I use the Blaplunk (sp) portable model so i can take it out and use it in my house as well. I would go with Sirius if you are looking to buy cuze they are put more money into research/development than XM -
    Sirius will be the first out with video in cars and their satilites are much newer than XM..

either way you go - Satilite radio is sweeeeeeet

I love my cartalk on Sat/Sun 10am - NPR

13. Koffer

Koffer

They may spend more but the stuff they have is totally lame(big, ugly) and still 2 years behind XM. If it wasnt for the aftermarket radios that are Sirius ready they would have some real crap . They also are spending crazy money on poor talent like Martha Stuart (sp?) and old DJs like Cousen Bruce.
    500mill on one person is just plain nuts for a 4 day a week program
    The stock is doing pretty poor (from their poor money spending)
    Just look into what they were paying Pamila Lee ($54k for just a plane ride from Cali per week)just to get her to do a 1hour a week show .

If they dont get their poo together soon and stop betting very big money on one or two people to pull them out of the mud its going to bite them in the ass worse then a rapid pit bull fed raw meat :D

14. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Think of this - that 500 mill that they are paying Howard Stern is a drop in the bucket if they sign on just 10% of his listeners. Lets just say he does bring over 10% - that 10%, which would be 2million people, will bring Sirius more customers than XM and launch them into a competely new bracket.
    XM may have a slower burn rate, but Sirius has a better programing. You can even see XM trying to follow Sirius on their programming. It wil be very interesting to see the numbers after Xmas.
    ...and Sirius stock is doing just fine - just b/c it is at $7 bucks and XM is at 30ish it means nothing. I have made plenty of cash buying Siruis stock thus far and i see it climbing over $10 when HS gets on the air.

15. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Radio Margaritaville is now on Sirius. Which is what made my final choice.

16. buckroseau

buckroseau May I have another!!!

I agree with this, this might be a 2 part question. Who has better programing and who has more tech. in there equipment. I don't know a lot about the technology aspect of it, XM may have more bells and whistles than Sirius's stuff?

But, I've listened to XM that my friend has and I have Sirius. We both agree that Sirius has better programming on the rock end of things. I would imagine it is also better on the other music style channels, but I've never listened to them. Pretty much preset on Octane 20 :D

Matt

17. Jomama

Jomama

Media:
    Albums:
    To the OP regarding MP3 Capabilites with a Sat Unit... This is a XM press release from today...

XM Satellite: Samsung Electronics Partners With XMSR to Offer Samsung's First MP3 Players With XM Satellite Radio (XMSR) 36.36 :-Update-

Samsung Electronics Co today announced a strategic alliance with XM Satellite Radio to introduce its first MP3 players with XM Satellite Radio capability. The relationship entails the production of two miniature flash memory Samsung players that will utilize XM's Connect-and-Play technology. Both players will come with an XM Radio home accessory kit, which allows the device to receive XM's 150-plus radio channels of commercial-free music, plus news, talk and entertainment programming, in the home. Samsung's new players will be available in two storage capacity sizes and are anticipated to be available by year's end.

Have XM and love it. Locked myself in for 2yrs which was a great deal with the streaming capabilities to any computer, and use the XM-PCR at work so I have a grand total of $50 in hardware...

If you dont want to install/haul around a brick, get XM, sirius s*** is huge. Sirius cant even put together a decent portable unit yet. I see them as Betamax to XM's VHS... :flipoff2:

(edit** Not a technological comparison...I know Betamax was supposidly superior... but which one actually "made-it" into almost everyones home)

18. FeO2pig

FeO2pig

I just got XM and love it. Just used it on a trip from Phoenix to Des Moines. Good reception all the way. By the way, XM just added free online service. Just signed up with it (just need your roady ID number) and I'm listening to it now

19. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    I have had XM for over two years now and love it. I believe you can signup on-line for both services for a free trial period to find out which you like better then sign up with that one.

My favorite XM stations are "the holy trinity of Fred, Ethel, Lucy", XMU, Fungus, The Joint, Top Tracks, Boneyard, and Deep Tracks.

20. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    I think the programming is very similar.
    http://www.xmradio.com/programming/full_channel_listing.jsp?sort=number
    http://www.sirius.com/pdf/channelguide.pdf
    I like the news and sports of XM. Music wise, I flip around anyway. Equipment wise, XM is great.
    And didn't I read a post somewhere around here(maybe somewhere else) that XM was going to gobble up Sirius sooner or later. Unsubstantiated rumor maybe. It just seems XM is more popular all around and Sat. companies are tough to run(Voom anyone?).

And XM has Playboy and Nascar. 'Nough said. :flipoff2:
    Sirius does have Maxim...for free! Damn!