XFR Case support, mandatory? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello,

Have done a sm465/3speed tcase conversion on my 77 '40. I have an aqualu aluminum tub.

This support came with the conversion. It is the usuall support that bolts between the cone cover and the rear of the xfr case and then mounts to each side of the frame.

1. The aqualu aluminum tub's gas tank recess is about 1/2" off the frame. So there is no way without major modding that it will fit on that side. Driver side is fine.

2. Drilling for the mounts would be a biatch. I have looked at treeroots setup, that would work (energy suspension setup).

3. In that setup, im not sure what's custom and what is part of the kit.

With a stock t-case do I need this support? The stock t-case is very light.

Curious.

Thanks - Ragman

I think it depends on how you have the transmition supported. If you are still using the two bellhousing supports then no. I you only have the two engine mounts then you still need something else

Then no, I do not thing its mandatory. Good idea maybe.

I'm in a similar boat with an SM420 and 3 spd tcase. Don't think I will install anything for awhile.

treeroots mount is custom. i had issues with mine when i had the front motor mounts and rear case mount. talked to dave brown who had the same issues. he made a support for the tranny using the side cover spots on the tranny. he hasn't had issues since. he built his daughter's cruiser the same way...she also doesn't have issues.

I think you put more torque on the case of the xfer with the rear v8 style mount, so I would avoid it.

I don't think you want 6 mounting points. I think that's asking for trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom