1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xfer case rebuild kit

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Bradass80, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Bradass80

Bradass80

I'm going to delve into the world of renovating my 78 fj-40, and thought a rebuild on the tranny and xfer case would be a smart place to start, who makes the most complete kit to rebuild the xfer case, also i can't get crap for info using the search option any tips on that also, TIA, Brad.

2. fj40mayo

fj40mayo

I bought the kit from MAF. It was $119 and included all gaskets, bearings and idler shaft. It was the least expensive of the kits I saw. Be sure to get a body/chassis manual.

3. bluefj40

bluefj40

I'm selling my 3 speed case, it was recently rebuilt. Please see
    http://dougnlina.home.mindspring.com/FJ40.html#Transfer
    for details including a link to a copy of the reciept for parts. Even if you don't want the three-speed version case, I think a lot of the parts cross over.

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

i also used man-a-fre

5. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    i think when i rebuild mine i will just get the Marlin Crawler 4.7 Low Range Gears, the kit comes with new seals and bearings and stuff.. and its like $450.. so for $350 more you can kill two birds with one stone and have a nice Crawl Ratio!!

6. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

MAF has a good kit and also had the necessary stuff to match the three speed up to the 4spd tranny. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the only way to use the Marlin gears is to install them in the toybox. I checked their website and it seems a little misleading the way it's written that they fit the 40 but I know the gears in the past were so big that you either had to clearance the inside of your existing case or buy the billet one from Warden's( is that still available from anyone else?). The 4.7's fit only the p/u xfer case as far as I know.

7. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

[quote author=isotel link=board=1;threadid=9780;start=msg86343#msg86343 date=1073513805]
    i think when i rebuild mine i will just get the Marlin Crawler 4.7 Low Range Gears, the kit comes with new seals and bearings and stuff.. and its like $450.. so for $350 more you can kill two birds with one stone and have a nice Crawl Ratio!!
    [/quote]

Are you thinking the ToyBox? There are not 4.7 gears that will ever fit into the stock t-case, mini trucks yes, but cruisers nope. Hence the reason for the Orion, Rockbox, Toybox... :D

8. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmmm... maybe so, but their site seems to suggest that it works fine,,

Quote from them ...

Our 4.70:1 gear set replaces the stock gears in Toyota gear driven transfercases. This means that any vehicle with this transfer case can use our gears! We have applications available from 1979 - 1995 Toyota Pickups and 4Runners, 1996+ v6 T100's 1996+ V6 Tacomas, 1996+ V6 4Runners and now with our new ToyBox, we can now run these gears in many Jeeps, chevys, Dodges, Fords. It's also fits most FJ40-62 4-speed applications.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/gearsets.html

it looks to me that they are a direct replacment, but maybe its just wishfull thinking

9. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    ok, called, talked to marlin himself,.. yall are right im wrong

the web site makes it seem like those 4.7 gears will work.. wishfull thinking i guess..