Wynn’s Power Steering Fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys

I’ve slowly been trying to baseline my fluids on my new to me LX 470. During my oil change last week, I went ahead and did a power steering flush.

The fluid in the reservoir beforehand appeared to be clear/light yellow, so i figured it may be regular PS fluid. I wanted to get ATF in there.

I was at a Toyota Dealership and told them I specifically wanted the Toyota ATF Dexron III fluid. Advisor I talked to seemed like he got it. Said he knew guys who would put PS fluid in without even knowing it took ATF.

Anyway, turns out they used Wynn’s ATF Power Steering Fluid and Conditioner.

I found out because I reached out to the advisor to make 100% sure on what fluid they used so I could get some and have here just to top off or in case of emergency. He said they use Wynn’s on all Toyota’s and Lexus there and he personally uses on his old Toyota’s.

The vehicle is driving great. Turns feel smoother to me than they did before.

Curious if anyone has any insight on the Wynn’s fluid and if it’d be ok to top off with Toyota ATF of anything similar? Or if anyone would be against even having that in their rig? I’ve looked online and can’t find much info on Wynn’s fluids.

1606946093429.png

Thanks

Bumping this to try again and see if anyone has any experience or insight with the Wynn’s product.

Near used.
But here in cold weather, we have issue with any PS fluid. Steering is hard turning, until warm up.

I've been using Mobil 1 MV ATF for many years, works great. One Local dealership add Zemax which fluid looked great 20K later. Others add BG products.

Would need to check if it's synthetic VS mineral oil or other compounds. Most synthetics should mix well with others, check the label for any warnings of mixing it . On the flipside may be just fine keeping what you have in there especially with the advice given from Toyota.

Thanks guys. I know a lot of folks use the Mobile 1. I’m just a stickler for going by the manual.

I will say this version of Wynn’s PS is specifically for PS that requires ATF fluid. It says it is “designed to be used with any power steering system in which ATF fluid is recommended.” They have a different version that is regular PS fluid.

Anyway I talked more with the advisor and I think it will be fine. He said I can top off with regular Toyota ATF Dex III.

I was more curious if for any reason I shouldn’t be using it and I trust you guys on the board and your experiences.

I appreciate the responses.

Thanks guys. I know a lot of folks use the Mobile 1. I’m just a stickler for going by the manual.

I will say this version of Wynn’s PS is specifically for PS that requires ATF fluid. It says it is “designed to be used with any power steering system in which ATF fluid is recommended.” They have a different version that is regular PS fluid.

Anyway I talked more with the advisor and I think it will be fine. He said I can top off with regular Toyota ATF Dex III.

I was more curious if for any reason I shouldn’t be using it and I trust you guys on the board and your experiences.

I appreciate the responses.

I like sticking with OEM as well, but in this scenario I would be OK with sticking with the Wynns. I dont have experience with that fluid but it does sound like it's a quality alternative from your info. May just want to top off with what's already in there.

Oh yea. Mobile 1 ATF seems to be the favorite on the forum for sure.

Because I’m a psycho (in a good way, I hope) I reached out to Wynn’s tech service via their website and asked. They told me “The Wynn’s fluid used in your vehicle is compatible with manufacturer’s recommendation. You can top it off using either the same Wynn’s fluid or the fluid recommended by the manufacture.” They also sent me a list of models their brand is compatible with. Really good customer service.

So I feel good about it now. This was at a Toyota dealership and the fluid was red, so when I left I thought for sure it was regular Toyota ATF Dexron III. Something told me to make sure though.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the responses. I can’t begin to tell you guys how much I’ve learned and how much help I’ve got via this forum.

Haven't used either- but using any "cleaner" on an aged hydraulic system may break apart an over abundance built up grime inside the system and create more issues for the seals and valves than it solves. I like to this gradually opposed to all at once. As for their fluid, prob no different than standard syn ATF.

The syn M1 ATF is "go to" simply because its available at most auto parts stores, its very good quality, highly detergent and works well to clean the system gradually over time. If your steering system is really dirty- cleaning the reservoir and flushing with a quality syn ATF (M1, Valvoline, Amsoil etc) and then flushing again with in a few thousand miles will ensure you have a clean hydraulic circuit. Then every 24-36 k miles there after.

Yea I hear you @abuck99. I was worried about that as well. Advisor said it shouldn’t create a problem that wasn’t already there, but I have the same understanding you laid out above when it comes to flushes on older systems.

So far all is good for the most part. There has been a very slight leak/weeping from the suction hose at the reservoir. Probably Just due to old hose and removing and putting back on during flush.

I’ve changed position and location of clamp on hose and that seems to have solved it for now.

If it happens again, I’ll replace clamp. And if that doesn’t solve it, I’ll replace the hose.

I’m keeping an eye on it.

Other than that, no other issues at all so far. (knock on wood)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom