www.southsoundcruisers.org (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The final candidates for web hosting is the following:

ih8mud.com
godaddy.com
yahoo.com
1and1.com

Board members please check your email for details regarding the decision on which web hosting company we should go with.
:banana:

We need some help with our web site, any SSC member volunteers?

Send me a PM.

Did you find anybody yet? I have a friend that I could ask, not sure if he would charge us or not. We should just get a main page up with some pictures of our trucks and a list of the next meeting or get together so we can start telling people about the page...

I can give it a shot and build a basic site, it least it would be a starting point. As with any sites, we can modify as needed or as new ideas arise.

Hey guys,

Matt Farr, TLCA webmaster here. Let me know if you need hosting or any HTML help. If you're building a site for the first time, I'd use an open source content management system like WordPress or Drupal. That way you can have non tech-savvy people help keep the content updated w/o knowing any code.

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the input and good idea. I am using WordPress now on my godaddy hosted account and it is working great. Didn't even have to do anything to set it up besides click on it and add a few personal touches (www.olympiafj60.net).

I have customized it now with a different layout etc, but it is easy to do and the default theme isn't bad. Would be nice to get a page on there.

Brian, if you want to go this rought for now, email me the info and I will set something up, quick and dirty like.

I made some changes over the weekend. Check it out and give me some feedback please. It is just a concept still, so any ideas are appreciated.

www.southsoundcruisers.org

Note, the site is set up using the Wordpress blogging package, but is very adaptable to site management. It also allows multible levels of participation including, subscriber (can read and comment), writer (can write off course, plus read and comment) and editor (can edit, write, read, comment and make changes to the calendar). If some people can register and log in so I can see how that part works.

Thanks

I added a plug in so you can view without all the formatting on a mobile device. It still shows thumbnailed pictures, so I need to see if those can be shut off. Give it a try if you use one. Let me know if it doesn't work for you. We want this to work every time someone looks us up.

I have had a few register on the site. If you register, I will move you up to contributor and you can start writing stuff. If any one wants help getting started, let me know. How about a Tahuya writeup with pictures. It is easy to do and you just upload the pics from your computer and insert into the post.

There are three levels that registered members can be, Subscriber, Contributor, and Author. Subscriber can read read posts, read comments, make comments and receive news letters. Contributor is someone who can write and manage their own posts but not publish posts (has do be done by Editor), I think this will be our friends that participate in trail runs or meetings but are not members of SSC. Author can can publish and manager their own posts, this will be the level for our members.

If you are a member of the club, have registered but can't yet publish, PM me or email me and I will get your account changed.

NOTE: All this has to do with the SSC web site. I have nothing to do with IH8MUD settings.

Last edited:
Brandon,

I am trying to add my member page but I do not see the members category on the drop down, am I missing something. I have never used the Wordpress before so I am learning as I go.

Glen

Thanks to Glen, I think I got the problem he was having sorted out. If you haven't yet signed up please do. I will set you to the appropriate user level (if you have joined the SSC and I don't set you to author please let me know). Once you are registered, please post a little member page about your self.

Brandon,

The site worked great, the fixes we talked about did the trick. The only problem I had was the hosting for my pictures but that was not the sites issue. I just linked my VBGallery from here for now.

I also noticed that you also opened up the calendar, just wanted to say good job and keep it up. We are a fledgling site and I like to see that we are still trying to progress it whenever possible.

Like Brandon said, lets get some more members posted up. If you need help, I am sure Brandon or I can help walk you through page setup.

Glen

You can also upload pictures (and other files like PDFs and docs) to use in your posts/pages. Take a look and if that is not an option for you I will make a few more changes. Should be just under the WSYWIG editor in the Write>Post or Write>Page.

Not Going to Let it Die

After seeing no new post to the members section I decided last night that I really would like the site to portray most if not all the members we have. If you are leary of the Wordpress shell or just can't get the time to post up a bio, I am offering to do this for you. :idea:

If you would like to have a bio posted, send me a write up of what you would like to say and any pictures that you woul like posted. If you need a reference just link to the club site and look at Brandon and my postings.

Glen

P.S.

Brandon,

I hope this is not overstepping the bounds but I really would like to see the site have a chance. Currently, when you log in it looks cool but then you only see two members which looks a little sad. :crybaby: If you do not want me to do this just shoot me an e-mail or PM.

Glen, that is a good idea and one that hadn't occurred to me. It doesn't have to be much, just your Mud handle and a few words about your truck or why you joined the club. Just to show that we actually have a club :). This way, you won't even need to register with the site if you have no intention of posting any other stuff.

I think the meeting will be a good place to discus this more (and is an item on the agenda). We can also gather "bio" info then.

I will also share some of the site stats at the meeting. Most of our traffic is coming from the TLCA web site, next is mud. We only get between 2 and 8 visitors a day, although page views per day are higher, so people are looking beyond just the splash page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom