AltFuel WVO, vegetable oil as fuel: Injector Pump Longetivity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am glad this subject came up because it is also a concern to me. My vehicle is almost finished with a wvo kit but stopped when doing some resurch on the subject. My worry is the free fatty acids and water would "etch" the insides of the IP over a period of time. I have also made biodiesel before a few years ago and still have the sample. The oil was originally very dark which means it had free fatty acids in it. Now finding a good batch is important if you are going to run strait wvo. I have a ph tester to test it and reject it if the owner does not change it often enough. So in a case like this I can be picky. What I have not seen how how many kms or years has somone run wvo and there IP,injectors,cylinder walls survived? I dont have 1,200 dollars for a rebuilt IP so dont want to take any risk associated with this setup. Just wanted to mention about the person who had the blood poising. If you are making bio please seal the container so not to breath the methaloxide solution. It will render you blind.

I run various percents [<20%] of clean veg-oil mixed with ULSD fuel depending on the temperature in a 13B-T engine LC.

How many years have you been using 20% VO in your 13B-T? Does the truck have a rotory pump or inline?

i have been running homebrew for the last 6 months and never had a problem with anything. just remember to change all your old rubber hoses and gaskets. as far as people going blind and getting blood poisoning? don't be a jackass and you shouldn't have anything to worry about....:D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly, in practical terms that would mean:
1) Get your oil from Mc Donalds (Canola oil, mostly for french fries), not from Kentucky Fried Chicken (Shortening, mostly for chicken).

KFC in Canada uses Canola oil. I have about 40 litres here for testing... at some point in the future when I actually have some spare time.

~John

hi i started off making bio as i could pour it straight into my tank but as soon as i could i graduated to straight wco
for me i would not go back...
1984 hj60 2H tubo [landcriuser]
521.000ks on the clock, the last 121,000 on wvo.The injector pump has never been serviced,i pulled injectors at 100,000 on wvo,they looked clean as,so i brushed the ends and back in.
the only prob. ive had with wco is it made my spare tyre go flat and corroded the finns on my radiator, needing replacement

2 tank syst. with 10ltr start up under the bonnet. 2 solenoid valves wiyh switch on the dash.
i heat the wvo with a home made copper pipe within a pipe heat exchange between the lift pump and the filter
added a wilson switch incase i havnt purged completly
in summer i add around 10% normal diesel to the tank and winter 25%
it runs fine on 100% wvo,its just a safety thing.[my climate is very mild]

i pour say 3/4 of each 20ltr container i pick up into a 55gal drum through a fine mesh. the drum has a propane heater under it and i heat to about 50c then pump it through a stock oil filter on through a 5 micron filter an into a 1000 ltr holding tank monted above the height of my filling cap,so i can just drive up next to it and turn on the tap.
the sluggy oil left in each pick up container is set aside untill i have enough to make a 100 lrt batch of bio. i then filter that and add to the holding tank

Last edited:
If the biodiesel is made from used oil, the hydrogenated oil and animal fats can make biodiesel which will precipitate out of solution below freezing temp and clog fuel filters. If you can store the biodiesel in a drum and only pump the clear BD off the top then the problem can be avoided.

Biodiesel isn't the happy environmentally friendly product that people seem to believe that it is.

That's a tad of an overstatement. Methanol is noxious. If the bio is made with ethanol (not at ALL advisable for the homebrewer), then it can be very green. Lye is caustic soda, which is merely sodium hydroxide, and it is made from wood ashes. It is used in pretzel making and in olive brine. Wow, that sounds pretty horrible to me!

Water can be toxic too, you realize. Handled responsibly, making biodiesel, while somewhat labor intensive is no more dangerous than giving your nasty ass bathroom the BIG Cleaning, especially if you use naval jelly or harsh cleansers.

(Although I doubt all cars could run on used french fry oil because of its limited supply - correct me if I'm wrong -

???????????????

What the hell dark corner of this universe do you live in? There is a restauraunt on the corner of every other street!! Perhaps you are not aware of how often these places need to change their oil ?

Methanol is noxious...Lye is caustic soda, which is merely sodium hydroxide, and it is made from wood ashes.

To place things in correct perspective; a crock of bull**** is noxious, methanol fumes are toxic and explosive. Methanol is made from natural gas.
The pioneers made crude soap from wood ash and pig fat; that's a far distance from modern biodiesel production.
Sodium Hydroxide is a powerful hazardous caustic chemical, it's not made from wood ashes.

Use google, see for yourself, play safe.

The world can not be made idiot proof; nature will always create a better idiot.

Originally Posted by 83bj60
(Although I doubt all cars could run on used french fry oil because of its limited supply - correct me if I'm wrong -
You are quite correct. If VO production was maxed out, biodiesel from all the cooking oil [assuming you could collect it all] might produce enough to offset 5% of the demand for petro diesel fuel.

Veg-oil is a much more limited resource than diesel fuel from coal or tar sands. It takes huge quantities of petro based fertilizer and diesel fuel to produce veg-oil. It's just as cheap to produce diesel fuel from coal or tar sand than from biodiesel.

I wouldn't exactly say that veg-oil is a more limited resource than petroleum....people are coming up with ways to get oil from algae....in terms of it's output per square foot, input verses output, etc., it knocks any sort of vegetable oil crop (corn, canola, soy, etc.) out of the water...look it up, its pretty cool.

When VO from algae is produced in substantial quantities, then that statement might be credible, till then it's just conjecture, and VO remains a limited resource.

To place things in correct perspective; a crock of bull**** is noxious, methanol fumes are toxic and explosive. Methanol is made from natural gas.
The pioneers made crude soap from wood ash and pig fat; that's a far distance from modern biodiesel production.
Sodium Hydroxide is a powerful hazardous caustic chemical, it's not made from wood ashes.

Use google, see for yourself, play safe.

The world can not be made idiot proof; nature will always create a better idiot.

Noxious and toxic are near-perfect synonyms. And yeah, methanol is nasty stuff. Lye used to be produced from wood ashes, which of course would not be economically viable today, so on that point I stand corected. Homebrewing is not for the type of folks who like to cut corners. That being said, cleaning the shower with Lime Away can rot your noggin almost as well, if you don't be careful...

That link doesnt work anymore BB

Not quite from what I have heard.... I cut and pasted this from a site.

"biodiesel is simply made by mixing a fat or oil with an alcohol and lye. Biodiesel is up to 92% of the final product with the rest being glycerin which is itself a useful product commonly used in cosmetics. The waste from this process is basically soapy water and is not environmentally harmful. The oil can be cooking oils, or oilseed crops such as soybeans, canola, cotton and mustard seed or even tallow or animal fat."

And then on another site I found this write up. This looks like a great read. I scanned thru, but plan on printed to read later...
http://www.alternatives.com/vpn/ind...er_op=view_page&PAGE_id=16&MMN_position=26:22

I'll buy bio (from the Grange in Issaquah) but frankly I dont trust myself (and my rigs are to important to me) to screw around trying to make the stuff myself. I wont run it in the winter. Even around here (Seattle area) Ive experienced gelling issues. Yes, I do use additives in every tank too.

I'm in Seattle. This is what I needed to see. I've been contemplating a Veg or Bio conversion to my turbo'd 70, but after reading this, I'll forget about it. I spend most of my weekends in the snow during the winter. I don't want to have to deal with a dead truck on top of any of the passes or in the backcountry after a long snowboarding trip.

I run a tank mix of B20 year round in a climate that gets to -25°C or colder all winter long. Of course I make my own biodiesel and premix B75 with kerosene so the HMPE biodiesel components settle out in the mix barrel and don't get pumped into the tank. Successfully using biodiesel requires far more effort than most people are willing to do.

I'm in Seattle. This is what I needed to see. I've been contemplating a Veg or Bio conversion to my turbo'd 70, but after reading this, I'll forget about it. I spend most of my weekends in the snow during the winter. I don't want to have to deal with a dead truck on top of any of the passes or in the backcountry after a long snowboarding trip.

I live in Northern Alberta, where temps are significantly lower than Seattle. I run up to 100% uvo in my 1991 1hd-t with a rotary Bosch pump. I've had one clogged filter in 3 years, it was the first one i installed on my heated fuel filter for my onboard veggie oil tank and it lasted over a year.
To chime in on the other side I will take my truck on splitboard adventures any old day of the week.

I live in Northern Alberta, where temps are significantly lower than Seattle. I run up to 100% uvo in my 1991 1hd-t with a rotary Bosch pump. I've had one clogged filter in 3 years, it was the first one i installed on my heated fuel filter for my onboard veggie oil tank and it lasted over a year.
To chime in on the other side I will take my truck on splitboard adventures any old day of the week.

A fellow splitboarder! Rock on. Here's my 70 at Mt Baker last week during Baker Splitfest! :)

AtfnyIp.png

Po3xJQq.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom