AltFuel WVO oil heating in vehicle advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

So, a friend got me running WVO in my 80 this past summer and worked alright, I'd like to do a dual tank setup in my hilux project, and just want some of your insight, here's the system I have and parts i plan on using, I'm not sure it will provide enough heat to WVO to run in the colder months.

It's for a 3B, I have a Racor fuel filter (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Racor-690R-...on-Element-12v-Heating-690R1230-/290902079313) with the transparent bottom/water seperator and the electric heater in the filter. I'm thinking I will run a coolant/fuel line heater to the WVO tank, and then run a coil in the tank to warm the WVO as well.

My question is, with the fuel warmed in the filter and along with the fuel line from the tank, will this be enough in -15 or -25 celsius weather once the engine and fuel warms up, or do I need to heat things up closer to the pump and the fuel lines as well?

I've been thinking of running a few temp switches run in series on the fuel lines and filter to a three way valve, so i could turn it on and when things heated to the switch point it would switch fuels automatically.

Any thoughts? :)

My question is, with the fuel warmed in the filter and along with the fuel line from the tank, will this be enough in -15 or -25 celsius weather once the engine and fuel warms up

no

or do I need to heat things up closer to the pump and the fuel lines as well?

yes. a flat plate heat exchanger on a separate parallel coolant loop is necessary if you want to use 100% UVO.

Last edited:

no

yes. a flat plate heat exchanger on a separate parallel coolant loop is necessary if you want to use 100% UVO.

Ok, what temp (minimum aproximately) do I want before it goes to the pump/injectors? I think I'll probably try and insulate the injector lines to some degree as well.

Ok, what temp (minimum aproximately) do I want before it goes to the pump/injectors? I think I'll probably try and insulate the injector lines to some degree as well.

For 100%UVO at least 140°F at the injector, which means the FPHE has to get it close to 180°F before the filter and the IP.

For 100%UVO at least 140°F at the injector, which means the FPHE has to get it close to 180°F before the filter and the IP.

Hotter then I thought, I will have to change things around a bit, perhaps that heated filter will be better with pump diesel, and the existing filter just for WVO.

I should have said before, it will probably be a mix of pump diesel and WVO in the winter, just want to try and design and build it right the first go around. :meh:

After seeing a plant drive WVO system on an hzj77 and the affect it had on the rotart pump there is no way in heck I could be convinced to run WVO for fuel. The injection pump was fouled terribly to the point the rebuild shop called it " The worst pump they had ever seen."

I'm sure WVO prep comes into it too but at some point this must be a diminishing return. I will say that owner with the plant drive set up will be looking to sell it shortly... :)

After seeing a plant drive WVO system on an hzj77 and the affect it had on the rotart pump there is no way in heck I could be convinced to run WVO for fuel. The injection pump was fouled terribly to the point the rebuild shop called it " The worst pump they had ever seen."

I'm sure WVO prep comes into it too but at some point this must be a diminishing return. I will say that owner with the plant drive set up will be looking to sell it shortly... :)

Was he filtering it properly?

Was he filtering it properly?
Was he making sure it was dry to less than 500ppm water, by testing it?
http://make-biodiesel.org/Quality-Testing/test-methods-for-water-in-vo.html
Most fuel system damage from using UVO is from water in the UVO.

Using alternative fuels requires way more attention to detail than some people can manage on an ongoing basis.

I know of many Plant Drive systems that were correctly installed and are run with clean dry UVO, and experience no problems for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Ok, thanks John, once again.

Btw is this the model you use with your 3b?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom