AltFuel WVO/biodiesel registry? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to 'hybridize' my new 3b bj60 with a second tank, heated lines and filter etc. and have been looking through the threads but I was wondering what everyone would think of having a registry like the other forums have. Those who have been running on WVO/biodiesel could list:

1. date of conversion
2. miles driven since conversion
3. problems that they've had
4. a telling photo of their setup

Good idea?
It's just that I've been doing a lot of reading, learning stuff about chemistry etc. and realize there's a whole lot that can go wrong with burning this stuff in your engine, and, different engines respond differently.

For instance, I know with my experience burning B100 in my 1.6l VW golf I ended up replacing my fuel lines, water separator, stop valves, glowplugs and injector lines one after another. Things like that.

Cheers,

Ok...I'll go:
1981 2H with a Goldenfuel System installed. Been over a year, and I would say maybe 20-30,000 miles (Odometer doesn't work)

Problems:
None that I didn't cause myself. Mostly inexperience using the double tank system and f-ing up the filters, or switching to WVO when the oil isn't warmed up yet. Nothing serious, anyway. Learning curve, but well worth it.

I am biodiesel only, '71 FJ55 with a Cummins diesel, running biodiesel since 2004. I have done several WVO conversions and am planning one for myself, but have never run a WVO conversion. But I have time in a Dodge with the conversion (Frybrid) and it runs great...

I'll resurrect this thread :) and reserve this post # for when my conversion is up and running.

Don't know why this thread didn't take off? Perhaps remove the question mark from the title.

Here's some info about the test subject:
1991 HDJ81 VX.
1hd-t
Webasto (currently on the fritz just in time for spring),
block heater, oil pan heater,
new thermostat (this really brought back the heat)
Started running 100% veg @ 250,000km

System sketch
90 litre MAF aux tank
Hotfox fuel pick-up
VegMax 2 heated fuel filter
26 plate flat plate heat exchanger
2 three port hydra force valves
1 Madman EMS1 for measuring coolant and fuel oil temps

WVO is collected from the taco stand, and another vendor in the food court at the local farmers market, and a thai restaurant.

I have upwards of 1500L stockpiled, settling, and drying.

Last edited:
Add me in.

I have not yet finished my set-up, but bought most of it and are done with designs.
Going to run a two tank system on my HJ61 that hopefully will works just fine under winter conditions. I get as low as -40°C, that's evidently -40°F as well for you yankees ;)
I bought all my hardware for my HJ60, but have since bought an additional car, my HJ61 <3

My set up will have a purge time of about ~3 to ~10 seconds.
Both my trucks are 24 volts, love it for winter cold starts :)

Set-up are as follows:
- Two 3 way 1/2" npt solenoid valves and a one way check valve.
- 24v high flow electronic diesel fuel pump.
- "Home made" flat plate heat exchanger with standard Toyota screw on diesel/oil filter.
- One to three glow plugs for preheating wvo before entering OEM feed pump.
- Fuel and injector line insulating.
- 24v 5kw eberspächer diesel water heater. [Not a part of the wvo system.]
- Wvo tank with heated pick-up.
- A bunch of AN fittings and AN lines.
- Properly some more I can not get myself to remember at the moment :/

The lucky truck to get this conversion: My 1989 HJ61 that sits on a 1983 frame.
I have made a deal with a medium to big size mall nearby that I can collect up to 200 litres of waste vegetable oil a week. That is about a 55gal drum a week :D

Running biodiesel/UVO/jetB/ULSD fuel blends in a 13B-T since 2005. Single tank OEM fuel system with FPHE added between lift pump and fuel filter. Plug-in preheating for winter operation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"~3 to ~10 seconds" is insufficient purge time to flush UVO out of the system

"One to three glow plugs for preheating wvo" will burn the UVO if it contacts the glow plugs and char will build-up till it flakes off and clogs the pump

ensure that the FPHE has it's own dedicated coolant heating loop, with nothing else in series with it.

the most common cause of failure with "WVO" systems is wet fuel. Any fuel must be less than 500ppm water content. Learn how to test for water.
http://make-biodiesel.org/Quality-Testing/test-methods-for-water-in-vo.html

Last edited:
ensure that the FPHE has it's own dedicated coolant heating loop, with nothing else in series with it.

Why's that? I've run heat exchangers for power steering and/or motor oil cooling after the veggie heat exchangers w/o any ill effects.

I hope to be in the registry before too long. I got a 60 series with a 3B a few months ago. I really want to make biodiesel, but I live in a condo, so that is out. I do have an attached garage, might be able to get away with SVO/WVO, but the smell could be an issue, and I really don't want to modify my mostly stock cruiser or potentially damage the engine while working out the kinks.

Why's that?

To get maximum heat transfer, at the highest temperature, where it does the most good. The FPHE should also be connected for counter-current cross-flow. ie. the hotest coolant goes in the end where the hottest fuel comes out.

Basic fluid mechanics and thermal engineering. Plus years of experience designing, reviewing and troubleshooting fluid heat transfer systems, including "SVO" systems that didn't get the VO hot enough at the injectors to avoid damaged engines.

"~3 to ~10 seconds" is insufficient purge time to flush UVO out of the system
Thought someone would comment on that. With the design/set up I will be using ~3 to ~10 seconds is enough. I won't wait for the left wvo in the system to be burned of before diesel reaches the engine. It will be flushed out with the 24v diesel pump I will be installing.

"One to three glow plugs for preheating wvo" will burn the UVO if it contacts the glow plugs and char will build-up till it flakes off and clogs the pump
I am aware of this, the glow plugs will preheat a little aluminium reservoir holding about 100ml ~ 200ml wvo. So the glow plugs will only directly heat the aluminium.

For maximum heat I thought to connect the heat exchanger in series after the turbo ...

A turbo produce a lot of heat and if it is water cooled the water leaving the turbo will probably be hotter then the water entering it.
Maybe it only will be 0.5C hotter og maybe 5C hotter.
Under hard load it will at least be somewhat hotter :)

Isn't this supposed to be a registry, not a discussion thread?

This topic stayed stone cold dead until recently resurrected with discussions.

Nothing prevents people from posting their 'registry' info.

The OP placed no restrictions on content.

Ya might just learn something useful.

1. date of conversion - according to my thread, Feb 15, 2008
2. miles driven since conversion- roughly 50,000 Km
3. problems - haven't really had any issues, other than the truck rusted away, so now I'm swapping the drivetrain and veggie setup from my BJ60 to my FJ40
4. a telling photo of their setup... Um... Check the link in my signature.

My turn..

WVO Conversion in june 2008
Daily driver for 4 years on Oil and a little less since

inside truck:
45 litres in cab tank Moeller/Scepter
Baldwin/Luber-Finer Water seperator filter in truck
2 way (Pollak) tank switch
Copper tubes inside plumber tubes bracket (heat exchanger)

In the barn:
lots of WVO, sitting for weeks befores filtering
A sock filter (for fuel, and i tried for maple syrup as well - 5,10,15,20, 30 microns)
or old jeans, layered t-shirts.
two in line hydraulic filters (10 microns)
Gear pump and electric motor
clear rubber tubes

No problems so far

Flush time is about 5-10 minutes to make real sure it’s flushed.

No heating of tank or lines (i don’t drive it passed october here).

Canola or Transition TF WVo only, no trans fat, no shortening, no PFK

picture..

P1010050_zps3769bacf.jpg

So by the looks of this Registry, there are not to many converted LC's or people have been apathetic in registering there truck.

I have 2 LC's converted and running on VEG.
Truck One , a 1988 BJ 74 Set-up are as follows:
Engine completely rebuilt with conversion added shortly after.

KM's driven on VO, ~ 40,000
- Two 3 way 24V solenoid valves a
- 24v diesel fuel pump. ( now by passed as was noisy and not needed)
- 13 plate flat plate heat exchanger
- Water Heated preVO oil filer
- Digital VO temp gauge
- Aluminum in car 60 Liter Tank ( uses far to much precious cargo area, but that,s the compromise to run on WVO )
- Sedimentary filer under vehicle in front of rear axel up high protected by frame rail )
- Manual switching system with Green and Red LEDs

The system has performed very well, In the first weeks some fittings were poor and I did end up squiring a few Liters of VO onto the roadway Ooops! . Since then my only issues have been running out of veg on long runs as I have no gauge, also forgot to switch a few times in cooler weather. ( managed to start with ether, but not recommended) On VO the truck shows a noticeable reduction in power, I have made no changes to the timing. EGT and Boost appear similar, just have to have your foot into it more.

Truck Two, my 1991 HDJ 81 was started a few years back, really only put in the FPHE, when I experienced the classic Main Bearing failure and a very costly engine repair on Dec 25th !!! ( now there is Christmas Present!, and no, had not ever ran VO by that time ) I then used most of the parts on the shelf to do the BJ as per above. I have since driven the HDJ on anything from 20 to 80 % VO with no noticeable difference in drivability power etc. But only a few 1000 Kms max, As such its a 1 tank system, so only in the heat of summer do I run 80% veg, only a concern for starting as I turn on the FPE circulation if I run VEG, I also have an analog temp guage showing ~ 80 Deg of out going VO temp towards stock filter and IP, not sure what temp is hitting the IP. Vehicle has a 6KW webasto, but cant use when Veg in tank so useless to help Veg starts.
Planning a trip across Canada, so will feed diesel to Webasto from a small 4 L container to heat engine and FPHE for Warm start on 100% . Will probably be a non stop trip ( 2 Drivers )so starts will be minimum.

P.S Looking for VO in Alberta! ( Edmonton) , any help on that be most appreciated. Wil return favor to some one in need in Ottawa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom