WTH is this, AC Pulley?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So have no clue what this is but figuring it is some sort of AC pulley. When I shut the truck off it continues to spin for quite some time (approximately 5 minutes) and I originally thought it was the AC low on R12 and making a bubbling sound. Well when I figured out that it spun freely without really contacting the AC belt I tested after a long drive last night. Popped the hood when I heard the noise and looked in there and sure enough it was still spinning.

Like an idiot though I touched it with a cloth and stopped it from spinning. On the way home last night my temp gauge quite working (pretty sure that is unrelated) and now I have what sounds like a spun bearing in something when I hit about 2500rpms. I have messed with my belts to see for sure but got no resolution. Only thing I can think of is it is this thing and I screwed the bearings up by stopping it last night while it was trying to cool down as it spun itself to a stop.

So question is, is this needed? If not, can I just remove? And what is it exactly?

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

A/C belt tension idler. It is there to set the tnesion on the A/C belt. You should need it if you have the right belt. It is easy to replace the bearling. Not to expensive either.

AC idler pulley. You need it. Internal bearing is replaceable and cheap. Get a Nachi or NSK or other Japanese sealed bearing 6302

PERFECT!!! Thanks for the info guys, read the other threads and looks like the P/N is 6302-2RS(J) and can be had for about $3 plus the ride. Looks like NAPA Auto sells them but @ $30 so I think I will attempt the $3 online one before dropping the $30 at NAPA.

Don't get a cheap $3 one or you'll be doing the replacement again soon. Axe me how I know. Should be about $10 for the brands mentioned above on ebay. Again, double-sealed is what you want.

Really? Ok well I will take a look on ebay and see if I can find one.
Also here is a dumb question, but do I just need one or do I need two of the 6302-2RS

Oh, btw, when you replace the bearing you might want to take a couple pix along the way. Simple thing to do and could use a write-up for the less inclined, since it's kinda common.

If the bearing is stuck inside the race, use a socket to knock it out, once the retaining clip is removed.

Good luck.

So should the pulley be contacting the belt completely so that when the belt stops it stops? Or should it spin freely afterwards?

For reference here is the sound that I have been hearing since I purchased the vehicle.

I had the same issues when I replaced mine. I found that the right bearing and the right belt made all things right

LOL... of course I order the new bearing and the old one shuts up... Haven't heard a peep from it all night other than the noise in the video above which is normal.

Mine is an 85 and looks to be stock AC (not dealer installed).

New bearing should be here next week so I will get after this then. If nothing else I will setup the same, does anyone know if the pulley should be contacting the belt constantly, i.e. when the belt stops so does the pulley?

The idler is there so that it keeps the stock OEM belt in place when the AC compressor kick on, especially at high speed. With the right belt the idler is just not touching the belt, potentially just touching is a an ok result.

Ok so really it should only be spinning when the fan clutch is engaged by the AC coming on. Hmmm this may be interesting to setup, and the belt looks fine and the right size. Is it not?

Fan clutch ?

Idler pulley is there to keep the long section of the A/C belt from occilating too much when compressor clutch is engaged. It will spin freely when engine is stopped. Should not make much noise; at least a quality bearing won't.

What year trucks did this come on? Was just under my 87 and it doesn't have this idler pulley.

Thanks.

You should have this on your truck. 81-87 IIRC .. PO or mechanic prolly took it off once the bearing failed or made noise.... when they saw the Toyo price on the assy.

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom