wth fusible link do?!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by sl33py, Jun 21, 2005.

1. sl33py

sl33py

ok - rough morning. truck was running like @ss - volts low... puff of smoke - bye bye fusible link. greaat... called work - going to be late.

2 things to make it more interesting. 1 - just swapped in my yellow top optima which had been sitting for 4-5 mo and probably not fully charged. 2 - last night i also swapped in my MG alternator.

why did it blow? MG alt too much for it? what does the fusible link do? red wire gone - melted everything really well...

whatcha guys think?

otherwise bone stock 87 FJ60.

2. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    fusible link is like a slow blowing fuse.......it is suppose to melt if there is a problem..........like trying to stuff 200amps thru a 80 amp fusible link ;)

what I did on my 60 with a MG was to run a 1/0 cable from the alt thru a 200amp Mage fuse to then to the battery, I left the stock fusible link in place, this way if there is too much amps.......its gonna go thru the 200amp fuse, not all thru the link.

this is what I did

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the cable with the red tape on the alt runs thru the 200amp fuse(thats the red holder on the fender) As you can see I left the stock alt wiring in place

3. Spook50

Spook50 Get ready

Hey John, how long have you had that Mean Green? I considered getting their high amp FJ62 alt at the end of last year, but got a factory 80A Denso unit instead. Do you get the 12V at idle that usually comes with high output alts?

4. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

What I think happened is that the MG alt was trying to recharge your battery, and sent it's full amperage output to the battery. As you guessed, this fried the fusable. Landpimp's solution prevents this problem. If you'd charged your battery before installing, this wouldn't have happened....of course, it would have happened eventually, when the batt was low (lights left on...). Best to happen in your driveway.

Fusable prevents serious damage to the wiring harness. It's important to have in place. Parts places will have them. They can be made too. Check the Mad Electric website.

Do the mod that Pimp has, and you should be fine.

5. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    about a 1.5 years, the 1st one had a problem which showed up in the 1st few weeks, MG took care of it and its been problem free sense. Pretty much stays above 13+volts all the time

6. RedfishBluegrass

RedfishBluegrass

Albums:
    If you don't want to but another link they can be rebulit and resealed. I have changed the wires out with a little time and souldering - had no problems since.

Landpimp, I have a MG and have that same adjustment bracket (Bronze color) but my alternator seems to be cocked a little and squeels when the rpms are up. I have tried to shim it with washers with no luck, voltage is still not like you mentionded above. Does yours sit straight and is that a special belt in the pics? Any suggestions would be helpful.

7. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    nothing specail, I left the shims(aka washers off) the belt is the stock belt, it sits on line with the other belts/pullies ect

problem is, there is no "real" adjuster, just you need to use a pry bar to tension the belt, I bet you just need some more tension, mine squeeled also.

8. RedfishBluegrass

RedfishBluegrass

Albums:
    Thanks, I will hit it with the pry bar and see if that will fix the squeel.

9. sl33py

sl33py

Thanks guys!

ok, so i am ordering (cdan) some more fusible links... and i will look for the mage fuse.

I really want to get better cables and eventually go dual batt's like yours john. *your truck makes me droooool* I like your rad overflow tank placement. how did you secure it?

any suggestions on where to get good cables? Around seattle area or online. I think me and my buddy can probably solder them - rather than crimp. it's better right?

rob

hey redfish - your sig "three barrels" - jaws right?

10. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    the overflow mount is from a HJ60(which had stock dual batts), I ordered a new one when I did the dual batts.

I use welding cable(used about 60ft for 2 dual batt sets ups in 2 cruisers), its cheap and very flexible, also about 1/4th the cost of marine cable. Got the end lugs at Tacoma Screw......at less then 1/2 what West Marine wanted. Mil spec bat terminals and covers from Wrangler, who also supplied the selnoid and battery maganger switch. The Mega(or maybe Maxi) fuse came from West Marine(as did the holder)

I crimp my cables, bought a crimper from Napa for $30.

I really enjoy making battery cables......why I dunno, but its fun for me.

11. RredFJ40

RredFJ40

Don't forget the obvious. Mine did this when i put the battery in backwards!!!!. The battery from the PO was the wrong group size and had the posts reversed.

12. sl33py

sl33py

John - do you have a schematic of how you ran the wire from the alt, through fuse, to where...? I was trying to figure it out last night with my friend, but couldn't see where it ran to.

and the wires are run correctly - wouldn't have made it very far if at all without. I was able to limp my truck to my buddie's - but with full choke and it ran like dog poop.

13. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    nope, but it just goes from the alt, to the Mega fuse........to the battery(POS). (that is unless I forgot something) and then leave the stock wiring/link inplace.

all you are doing is giving the amps(from alt) another way to get to the battery.......a bigger way ;)

14. sl33py

sl33py

are all the cables 1/0 ?

so any auxilary items (headlights, winch, etc) all run from battery and the alt just makes sure it's topped off?

I am just thinking of hi output items down the road - rather wire it once right then have to muck with it again later.

thanks guys!

rob

(very electrical stoopid... sorry!)

15. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I am pretty sure I used 1/0 for everything(alt, batteries, winch, ect)

yes all stuff runs off the battery(or stock fuse block, of course) I might have ran my headlights right off the alt......but I kinda forget

16. sl33py

sl33py

ok - the mega fuse - do you use a 200 amp fuse or 250 amp fuse? not too sure which i will need? with the 200 amp MG alt - would the 200 fry or only if it goes above 200 amp? i have electical cr@p! i am clueless...

17. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    I pondered the same thing, I went with a 200amp fuse(and a spare) To be frank....... I am not sure I went with the right one.............but it works just fine and I have pumped alot of amps thru it when winching ect.

18. sl33py

sl33py

thnx pimp...and edit - i HATE electrical crap...not have...lol

19. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
  20. polarweasel

polarweasel Where's mah cruzah?

Doesn't look like my '84 or '85 fusible links... You might try Cruiserdan to see what he can do for you.

Fusible links are pretty cheap, so it makes sense to carry a spare -- or at to least have a non-fried one... :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.