WTF!?! Two expensive problems in one day... Tranny & 4wd Solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lakeminnetonkarealestate.com
Tranny is slipping and thudding on my 62 after swapping out rusted tranny cooling lines and replacing transmission fluid... And for some reason the [SIZE=-1]4WD Shifting Solenoid seems to be operating back words? Puts the truck in 4wd when switch is out, and out of 4wd when the button is depressed in.... Switched out the switch, but didn't have an extra solenoid lying around like I thought. WTF!!!

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:
[/SIZE]

sounds like your vac lines are switched that go to the solenoid.

Vacuum lines swapped for the transfer, and did you drop the pan and clean the intake screen? Perhaps changing the lines has led to some crud loosening and blocking the screen. Is the throttle cable down to the tranny adjusted decently?

What RockDoc said!

Ive had a "slipping" issue from 2nd to 3rd since I bought my truck (about 2.5 months ago) and I was convinced it was the tranny.

I adjusted the throttle cable and kickdown cable and it shifts MUCH better now. Not perfect, but I have yet to do a tranny/rodney flush so I'm looking forward to that as well.

Check them and adjust as necessary!

Yeah you either have switched vacuum lines or your solenoid is going out in which case, it's super easy (minor modifications of a solenoid) to get it to work again. I fixed mine, and hasn't failed me yet.

What RockDoc said!

Ive had a "slipping" issue from 2nd to 3rd since I bought my truck (about 2.5 months ago) and I was convinced it was the tranny.

I adjusted the throttle cable and kickdown cable and it shifts MUCH better now. Not perfect, but I have yet to do a tranny/rodney flush so I'm looking forward to that as well.

Check them and adjust as necessary!

Hey Rock and NYC. How do I adjust the cables? Full tranny flush and cleaning of the screen this weekend, and it got worse. Before only 2nd to 3rd and into overdrive was awful. Now it's first to second as well. Harsh shifting at the 3000-3500 rpm mark.

First off, is the fluid level correct?

On the throttle assembly, you have 2 cables. One from the pedal, and one that goes down to the transmission. Adjust the pedal one first so that it is nearly taught, then adjust the tranny one so it is nearly taught. Check to see if that changes anything in how the transmission behaves. Some have found that their transmission throttle cable needed replacement.... presumably it wouldn't tighten up.

How many miles on the tranny? Does it have an added ATF cooler? Heavy towing? Running hot kills the ATF and eventually the transmission too.

Did you flush the fluid "passively" or have it flushed by a machine? I've heard the machines can knock debris loose so that it starts circulating with the fluid and causing problems.

Actively flushed by machine, with pan off to clean filter. 163,000 on the tranny and rig. Fluid that came out during cooler line repair was black as night--but not chunky.

Will have to try and adjust kick down cable tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance.

Cruiser88, I would use the word thudding with a bit of shudder to describe it as it shifts above 3000 rpms...

Try tighting up the tranny cable in very small amounts but I think you have some chunks of crap in your valve body or something.

lol...ha doc would this be a good time to reverse the oil pump in the tranny?

lol...ha doc would this be a good time to reverse the oil pump in the tranny?

Just hook up a vacuum line and suck all the crap out :confused: Maybe installing a party mode switch will do the Rodney Party Trick for you and cure all :lol:

The Rodney Party Trick (as we refer to it on Mud) is getting your truck up above say 45 mph, then throwing it into park for 3 or 4 seconds, then back into drive. Since you are traveling fast enough, the park pawl can't engaged and lock things up (makes a buzzing noise). This creates some sort of a reverse pressure pulse in the governor of the transmission as a valve is rapidly closed against the flow of ATF, which is reputed to loosen crap in the governor circuit that may be degrading the "signal" from the governor. Can't recall off the top of my head what issues the governor can cause (poor shift points? hanging on a lower gear when it should upshift, hanging on higher gear when coasting to a stop?).

Most people read about this and think it's a joke, don't want to try it, but it's really not exciting at all when you do it.

I don't think the governor is the issue in your truck, it sounds like it's line pressure (kick down cable of poor flow from the pump) or the clutches are wearing out, but IIRC, clutches wearing out usually shows in only one or two gears (since which clutches are used changes from gear to gear).

Thanks again for all your insight guys. 1-2 is working very well, 2-3 is shifting smoothly at 3,000 rpm, 3-overdrive is also shifting smoothly at 3,000. This is after the flush, and now a new filter instead of just a clean one which has made a world of difference.

My thoughts are the only one that seems to be just a tad late now is the shift from 2-3. It seems like it would be happier (or at least the driver would be) if it shifted at 2,700 from 2-3 instead of at that 3,000 mark. Might be right in line with your comment on the clutches wearing out in one or two gears, RockDoc...

Still haven't had a chance to mess with the kickdown cable. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom