For Sale WTB...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hey guys, i am new to the FJ/BJ world, love the look of them. i see prices on these all over the price, $5k to 80K. help me out, this is what i am looking for and i am sure there are several on this forum that fit the bill, plz chime in and let me know.

i want something i can get in and drive. i am not a mechanic, i have several vehicles, this may get 2500 miles a year on it, definately less than 5k. i want something if i want to take a 500 mile round trip i can without worrying about it. need nice paint, no rust if possible, complete and nice interior. i do not want a show quality fj/bj but something very nice, something that drives straight at 60mph. something that is issue free if that is possible. not looking for a rock crawler or anything with a major lift on it, just a cruiser and something that i can take a trip in

please let me know what you have and a buy it price, I'm not much of a negotiater, not going to go back and forth about price, just let me know your legit selling price, i am a legit buyer and have cash

thanks in advance

FYI your easily describing something in the $10,000 to $20,000 range.

I’d take a look at what has sold on Bring-a-trailer. That will help you dial in the price range. You can search completed auctions and see what these trucks sold for. BJ’s are all going to be imports. Gas models may be US Spec Cruisers but many of the gassers are imports as well. Mostly trucks from central and South America.

FYI your easily describing something in the $10,000 to $20,000 range.

i am fine spending that if it fits my needs, my biggest concern is buying something with issues cause i know nothing about these other than i think they are cool as hell. i want to buy from an enthusiast that is known on here so i don't get screwed

Just make sure you are realistic in your expectations. 40-50+ year old truck will need some tinkering now and then. No matter how well it looks and runs today.

I finished my rebuild about 8 years ago, and drive it all summer. It’s pretty much exactly what you described.
Nothing major, but little things like brake adjusting, brake lights quit, coil quit, fried the Petronius leaving the key on, flooded it numerous times before I figured out what it likes and doesn’t. You don’t need to be a mechanic, but you do have to generally know how things work, or you may get a little frustrated.

It took me 10 years and 3600 posts on this forum to figure it out. Everyone on this forum will help you figure it out. Then you will end up with 4 or five of them. 😁

Last edited:
i want something if i want to take a 500 mile round trip i can without worrying about it. . i do not want a show quality fj/bj but something very nice, something that drives straight at 60mph. something that is issue free if that is possible.

If you're coming from a Porsche and have never had a ride or drove a FJ40 you could be surprised. They are slow, they are noisy, they don't handle very well, they can be uncomfortable, they can be as expensive for labor as a Porsche to have work done. ed

I bought from Overton two years ago and his representation of the vehicle I got was very accurate and he makes a long distance transaction easy. ed

I would also check with Overton. I own several land cruisers and several Porsches. If you are set on the 40 series, you should be prepared to (1) take your time (2) buy from a reputable seller and (3) be prepared to spend some money to get what you want. I am also not a mechanic so I need to depend on a local land cruiser mechanic for any big repairs.

I know that someone said you can "easily" get what you want for $10k to $20k but I really have not seen any clean, rust-free models that is issue free and drives straight at 60 mph for that price range. IF you find one in that price range I would be prepared to move quickly. I would budget around $25k and also be prepared to spend some more once you receive the truck to baseline.

If you are not in a hurry - I'll be listing my '80 FJ in the next few months. It also was a previously restored TLC truck and its in beautiful condition. Power Steering, A/C, and factory PTO. Has the higher 3.7 gears for better cruising. Almost all orig including smog (except old Emu lift/shocks, larger tires). Fenders are not cut and the paint is beautiful. I have a lot of cars and am very particular - and I will sell this when I feel its right and I've gone through everything. I'm checking through the FJ now - new (rebuilt) carb, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel pump. Just adjusted the valves. Just checked compression too - its is 137-148 on all cylinders. Next I'm going through the brakes. It is very nice but not a museum piece. Unfortunately I'm super busy and my time is limited - it will prob take me a few months to list it. I have a few people who have PM'd me about it and I'll make sure to let everyone know when I get ready to list it. I need to figure out how much I'm going to ask?? No way am I going to list on CL - I'd rather keep it then go through that mess.

I am going to be selling mine, but it is far from stock. I am located 20 min from Memphis.
IMG_2453.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom