WTB: These flaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

whitey, any chance in coordinating with Kevin to get some reproduced?

sorry to hijack but your picture revamped the thought of the licence plate frame for the 45, has anyone inquired with Kevin about stamping out some of those too?

I bet he could sell more than a handful of both:meh:

yeah we could do this, I have some really good ones,does anyone have a licence plate frame?

Never seen those before. They look pretty simple. If I had a good sketch or a sample I could make those.

By licence plate frame do you mean the mounting bracket? I had one but sold it before I knew any better. It had a pressed in stiffening rib (or two) that I can't do but I could make a simple "L" bracket with a gusset to stop vibration. On mine (1978) it had the plate lights mounted in it too
HPIM1981.jpg

HPIM1959.jpg

HPIM1955.jpg
HPIM1955.jpg
HPIM1981.jpg
HPIM1959.jpg

Kevin , I can send you a good one to copy,I have never seen an early 60's lpb licence frame?

sure, we can do that. What about cute's tabs? I could guesstimate the dimensions from that photo but a sketch or sample would be best for accuracy.

alrighty-then

Reflectors attach to them.

I have never seen an early 60's lpb licence frame?

I think "Bear" had one, I'll try to track down the thread and see if he would be willing to take some pictures and supply dimensions

he (Bear) had the later style as well................

I'll start a tread asking if anyone has one intact that they could offer pictures/dimension of

Last edited:
Sean,

I do have several of the mounted license frames, however they are on 1980-up longbeds.
They are original equipment and comprise two basic pieces: the upper part holds the two license lamps at an angle, has pressed stiffeners, and is bolted to the face of the rear crossmember; the lower or actual license frame part has several cutouts, pressed stiffeners, clearance holes for the hot rivets, and bolts-up at an angle to the underside of the rear crossmember.

I do not have an undamaged angle strap "stay" that keeps the license frame braced, but the parts manuals show it to be simple in design. BTW, the upper lamp part doesn't seem to show up in the parts books after a quick glance, maybe on another page?

If.......this all was the original and continuously-produced license frame set of parts, it could become a template for producing copies to also use on the older pickups. I haven't removed one and tried it under an earlier frame. On the later LHD pickup beds it was all mounted on the right rear--not sure if that was changed from the left side for the earlier trucks.

A problem with these license frames, and perhaps why so few have survived, is that the extra-long length of the bed and frame can come very close to the ground on a steep ascent and rip-off anything hanging back out there. The lamp-part is tucked up out of the way but not so the actual license plate.
Also, anyone adding a rear bumper, might likely block from view the license plate.

But... for the sake of originality it's nice to have. Additionally as started in this thread, I also have a loose set of the rear reflector plates from the earlier pickups--most trucks are missing them as they get mangled from use and abuse and setting the bed down without removing them beforehand.

If Kevin wants to repro this stuff I'm game to remove and ship off to him, as photos-only really requires a lot of measuring and guesstimating.

I'll be away till Thursday. Let me know if there is enuf interest, and if Kevin is willing to do it.
If I do unbolt stuff from a later truck, I have a '65 LPB frame back from powder I can sample fit, or try it on a '67 LPB if that helps. The parts books show what looks to be a slight variation in the middle-production period( 3/69 - 9/73) but only a few of those trucks have ever been brought-in to North America, and any internationally could probably adapt anyway.

Again, only if there's a genuine interest in some of this obscure stuff.

And sorry if this is boring talk--I just like some of the rare pieces, and the quest--always the quest ! Often makes me wonder, if the customer doesn't understand the special piece, appreciate it, or realize the time and energy spent acquiring it, should it be sold-off with the truck anyway, or saved and kept, or sold to a fellow rabid collector? And they say you can't take it with you to the grave. Oh yeah, look out, just watch me, driving my pickup thru them Pearly Gates, loaded down with all the s*** I've collected over a lifetime ! Whoops, maybe they won't validate my ticket if I cuss. Well it is easier driving downhill--it's just the heat................better stock up on extra coolant just in case.

HTH

And they say you can't take it with you to the grave. Oh yeah, look out, just watch me, driving my pickup thru them Pearly Gates, loaded down with all the s*** I've collected over a lifetime ! HTH

that's funny.................., thanks Bear

the picture I posted up in the other thread is out of a '64 LPB parts book. I'm not sure the early bracket crossed over to the later?

the one thing that stands out with the early taillights is that one of them (not sure if it's the RT or LT) has a window within the bottom of the bucket which appears to be for shining light on a license plate?

the image that the OP uploaded shows the license plate bracket directly under the drivers side tail light:hmm:

You're right. The pre-69 tail lamp housings left and right are identical, except one housing has the cutout, seal, and curved plastic window for shining down on the license plate. The complete lamp units can and were rotated so either LHD or RHD could be supplied with either a left or right rear license plate.

Along these lines, I years ago picked up a new set of the pickup tail lamps used on 3/69 - 9/73 longbeds, tri-colored with segmented back-up lenses, and wider-overall than the earlier bicolor or unicolor ones. And, since one of these lamps also has the window for the downward shining feature, this era of trucks also doesn't need the later version dual license lamps and associated bracket.

However, some folks--at least me-- have experienced difficulty locating replacement usable pre-69 tail lamp buckets that are not corroded and rusted to shreds. Accordingly along with not having the correct housing comes the difficulty of lighting the original-location rear license plate without a down-shining lamp. While stuff can be jerried-up, or the license plate mounted elsewhere, I appreciate the dilemma.

Since the later style dual license lamps are the same lamps as used on the rear ambo door of the FJ40s, and are still available new, having the later style pickup truck bracketry that fits these would allow another solution--while not exactly correct-- to the rear license plate lighting on any of the longbed trucks 1964-1986.

Here in the US, with most of the existing longbed trucks dating from 1965-1967, it would be nice if repro pre-69 rear lamp buckets were available--only one stamping would be needed-- but to be period-correct, one of each pair of lamps would need the cutout, plastic window and gasket, and fiddly-clamps and screws. Fortunately, lenses and gasket/seals have been re-made for these already.

In any event, still needed is the actual license plate backing bracket and accompanying brace, for those wanting a more authentic "look."

I'd be interested to hear authoritatively if, and when, the longbeds switched rear license plate locations--left or right. It is my unfounded belief that Japan designed the original FJ series of vehicles for RHD first, obviously as their home-advantage. With that comes the larger front floor area on the right side of the truck where their driver would be seated, the "lean" that occurs with LHD, the gas tank locations, the axle offsets, and the front and rear license plate locations(per their country's legal requirements), instrument placement, etc.. While swapping between LHD to RHD is done by many manufacturers all over the world, not every component gets "rotated." And, once in a while, to a very few of us, it can present something to consider. Most folks hardly notice....but that's a whole other story.

I just started restoring my 65 lwb and will look but I think I have with the reflectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom