WTB Need 4 speed FJ40 Transfer case housing. 1974 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I need an older style 4 speed transfer case housing. Older style, Not split style.

I have a pinhole in the casting and it's leaking a lot.

Does anyone want to sell me a spare case that's in good shape?

I'm in Virginia.

Picture of issue. Tiny hole near the top but leaks a lot. And picture of the FJ before I got the soft top on it.
IMG_20220115_181846_421.jpg

20220128_164459.jpg

The general rule is to post an ad in the classifieds for parts needed. Since you’ve only been here a week, maybe you can’t be expected to know that.😉

If you want to contact me at my shop, I just happen to have put a 74 t case housing in storage on Wednesday. I could certainly dig it back out.😉

The general rule is to post an ad in the classifieds for parts needed. Since you’ve only been here a week, maybe you can’t be expected to know that.😉

If you want to contact me at my shop, I just happen to have put a 74 t case housing in storage on Wednesday. I could certainly dig it back out.😉am I able to move it to the correct locatio

If you want to contact me at my shop, I just happen to have put a 74 t case housing in storage on Wednesday. I could certainly dig it back out.😉
Thank you! I'd happily buy it.

I'm going to try to patch it for now but in the long run I'd like to replace it. It sucks because the seller said it was just rebuilt. Oh well. Weird they would rebuild a case with a repaired hole haha

Can I move the post to classifieds somehow?

Is it above or below the fill line? If above, JB Weld It and move on with life. If it is below the fill hole, i would say it would be a bigger concern, but i would still jb weld it and move on with life. That all being said, are you absolutely sure thats the source of your leak? Seems like a really odd failure mode.

Is it above or below the fill line? If above, JB Weld It and move on with life. If it is below the fill hole, i would say it would be a bigger concern, but i would still jb weld it and move on with life. That all being said, are you absolutely sure thats the source of your leak? Seems like a really odd failure mode.
Yes, think so. It's the only hole I can find and the Tcase in this area was covered in a whole tube of JB weld or similar that flaked right off.

Also I cleaned the tcase well (all I could reach with ebrake still on). Then drove a few miles. And removed read drive shaft and E brake to investigate. This seems to be only leak (and very minor drip from speedo cable).

Also, side note I removed the whole ebrake assembly and just laid it on the floor. No need to disassemble it or anything haha, cable and all.

Since we ARE still in tech, I’ll add that, depending on further investigation, I might be inclined to go along with ewheelers idea about epoxy. But I’d want to know a lot more about that hole first.

I’ve been rebuilding transfer cases for five decades and have never seen a hole in that location, fatigue, flaw or trauma. But 74s do have a slightly higher tendency to have unusual trauma from one of the two interior bolts coming loose.

Above fill line by a bit. Still leaks a lot when driving. When sitting it won't leak once the residual drips off the case.

Since we ARE still in tech, I’ll add that, depending on further investigation, I might be inclined to go along with ewheelers idea about epoxy. But I’d want to know a lot more about that hole first.

I’ve been rebuilding transfer cases for five decades and have never seen a hole in that location, fatigue, flaw or trauma. But 74s do have a slightly higher tendency to have unusual trauma from one of the two interior bolts coming loose.
Tiny tiny hole. Id assume a casting flaw. But weeps oil. I poked the pick in it and got oil to flow.

Someone before me tried to fix it with a ton of JB weld haha. Did not stick at all.

I've worked on this FJ more than I've drove it since I got it haha

$300 to weld that? that is the I really don't want to do it price, but I will if you want me to.

call around, you can bring it to a shop to get it done.

The deed is done. Cleaned with brakeclean, even in the hole a bit. Dried it well. Then filled hole with JB weld. Used a thin copper wore to smear it inside the hole and a light skim of JB on outside.

Well see of it holds. Might resume the stake nut for now (oh well). I need to move the FJ this weekend. Now to look up all the torque values for ebrake and driveshafts.

I'm replacing the rear drive shaft bolts so the nuts face forward so I can use a torque wrench on them.

20220128_232259.jpg

Fingers crossed it holds. I still would like to replace it in future. But need to move the FJ on Sunday.

Also my phone screen is almost dead so sorry in advance for all the spelling issues. Hard to type and fix mistakes.. I'll use my laptop in future.

pm sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom