WTB - FJ40, for a good cause (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me introduce myself. My name is Kevin, and I am located in Houston (Kingwood area). I've lived in Houston for about 9 years, previously living in Utah. I am a previous FJ60 and 100 series owner, and I say "previous" as I didn't think there would be comparable places to use my landcruisers in Houston. I now realize there are great places to off-road and have fun. That leads me to my current situation. My situation is that I'm looking for an FJ40 that I can work on with my 12 year old son, and ultimately he can drive when he turns 16. I would consider myself having very little actual hands-on mechanical knowledge, however I am willing to learn. I've been searching the country (CL, IH8MUD, and all other sites) for something in the $5-9K range, that's in decent mechanical condition. I am finding out that prices of 40s have gone up since the last time I looked over 9 years ago. My goal is to have something we can drive around town, do some light off-roading from time to time (camping, etc). I am not in the market for something completely stock either. I'm am fine with modifications, if they are done right (engine, suspension, power steering, disc brakes, etc.). Let's just say, I am not a "purest" by any means, but I don't want something that was "hacked" up either. I don't mind some rust and patina either. If you know of anything in Texas, please let me know as I'd like to avoid buying something too far away causing me to ship it. Hopefully I can be a more active participant, once I find the 40. Thank you

Kevin

Hi Kevin, sounds like a great project for you and your son!

Given your budget I will go on a limb and say that you wont find a 40 in budget without additional investment to create a driver. There are deals still out there so someone could prove me wrong but by and large the 40 market has pushed the "driver" truck into the 12-15 range.

All of that to say my recommendation is that you find a 60 in the 5-7 range and make it your own. Because of the rising popularity of the 40's the 60 market is on the rise. With a 60 your son still learns how to drive stick and stay in the slow lane and might not get as banged up if he is in an (inevitable) accident.

There is always a handful of 60's listed for sale in Houston, Austin and DFW. Have fun on your search and let us know what you wind up buying!!

Bill D.

Hi Kevin, sounds like a great project for you and your son!

Given your budget I will go on a limb and say that you wont find a 40 in budget without additional investment to create a driver. There are deals still out there so someone could prove me wrong but by and large the 40 market has pushed the "driver" truck into the 12-15 range.

All of that to say my recommendation is that you find a 60 in the 5-7 range and make it your own. Because of the rising popularity of the 40's the 60 market is on the rise. With a 60 your son still learns how to drive stick and stay in the slow lane and might not get as banged up if he is in an (inevitable) accident.

There is always a handful of 60's listed for sale in Houston, Austin and DFW. Have fun on your search and let us know what you wind up buying!!

Bill D.

First, I've always appreciated the helpfulness of IH8MUD members, it's been a few years since I've been active on the website. In fact, my old account was deleted for inactivity. Thank you so much for such a quick response.

Let me clarify what my expectations are due to my budget. I fully anticipate future investment, in fact that is my hope so I can work on it with my son. I just don't want "major" mechanical issues (ie: something like a full engine swap), as I just don't have the expertise, tools, etc. I am perfectly happy with funding a lift kit, tires, wheels, and yes even some lighter mechanical work. For example, I think I could do a disc brake swap or a power steering swap (I think). Having said that, maybe I'm being unrealistic.

I completely understand the fun of owning a 40. To find something in that 5-10 range that wont require some serious wrenching you are going to have to move fast when you find a good candidate. There are so many vulture's (myself included) that buy 40's.

The hunt is definitely part of the fun/madness.

Do your research in the 40 section here on mud and learn what to look for. These 40 year old trucks can look great in pictures and have holes the size of your fist hiding in plain site. I have been fooled more than once!!

Good luck!

Being from Houston when I built my 40, I'd best hesitant to put a kid in a 40 unless there motoring skills are above average due to crappy drivers and traffic. We have/had a few members in Houston that DD'd 40's and 60's in their later teens with minimal issues, however it is far from ideal IMO.

Don't rule out shipping for the right 40. Shipping from Washington (may have been Oregon) to Houston was $850 for mine. That price can easily be made up if you get a better 40 due to the larger search radius.

Does your kid have interest in working on a vehicle? I had been tinkering on things for as long as I can remember, however, towards the end of my 2FE swap (had to build a race car from scratch while this swap was going which didn't help) I just wanted the thing gone so i wouldn't have to look at it any more which is what i ended up doing. I've barely picked up a wrench since then.

I'd also consider bumping the budget, if you can, which will open up much better candidates like has been said. Mechanical things can be learned fairly easily, replacing body panels sucks. I'd much rather pull an engine than replace body panels.

When I was living in Houston, the closest options I found was Mason, TX (K2), Marble Falls, Tx (Hidden Falls), Gilmer, Tx (Barnwell Mountain) and Clayton, OK. I was never comfortable attempting to drive mine 4+ hours to wheel for a weekend and then drive back. Things break and being stranded is definitely not a fun experience.

Have you considered looking for a 70 series? I know a few people have come across them for good deals. IF i ever get another land cruiser, that's what i'll start my search looking for.

Being from Houston when I built my 40, I'd best hesitant to put a kid in a 40 unless there motoring skills are above average due to crappy drivers and traffic. We have/had a few members in Houston that DD'd 40's and 60's in their later teens with minimal issues, however it is far from ideal IMO.

Don't rule out shipping for the right 40. Shipping from Washington (may have been Oregon) to Houston was $850 for mine. That price can easily be made up if you get a better 40 due to the larger search radius.

Does your kid have interest in working on a vehicle? I had been tinkering on things for as long as I can remember, however, towards the end of my 2FE swap (had to build a race car from scratch while this swap was going which didn't help) I just wanted the thing gone so i wouldn't have to look at it any more which is what i ended up doing. I've barely picked up a wrench since then.

I'd also consider bumping the budget, if you can, which will open up much better candidates like has been said. Mechanical things can be learned fairly easily, replacing body panels sucks. I'd much rather pull an engine than replace body panels.

When I was living in Houston, the closest options I found was Mason, TX (K2), Marble Falls, Tx (Hidden Falls), Gilmer, Tx (Barnwell Mountain) and Clayton, OK. I was never comfortable attempting to drive mine 4+ hours to wheel for a weekend and then drive back. Things break and being stranded is definitely not a fun experience.

Have you considered looking for a 70 series? I know a few people have come across them for good deals. IF i ever get another land cruiser, that's what i'll start my search looking for.

A lot to consider, thanks. The 40 really won't be driven longer than 20-30 miles at the most. Mostly around our community, including some camping within 30-45 minutes. Again, we are pretty much bent on a 40 at this point. I have been searching the entire US at this point, and would be open to shipping something if it was the right vehicle. In my dreams I am driving MOAB or Rubicon, but in reality I'll be going to the grocery store and camping at the local KOA :) Good point though about body panels versus engine rebuild.

Kevin- I am in Austin and have 4 FJ40s in various states/conditions/pricepoints along with 2 FJ55s. All are for sale. email me if interested and I can give you details.

If/when you end up with a 40, shoot me a PM and I will get you in touch with my Houston LC mechanic that's a TLCC-Houston member. Very good work for very reasonable prices.

IF (that's a big IF) he likes you, he may also be willing to teach. There were a few items I was hesitant to tackle on my own and he let me have at it while making sure I was doing it right and explaining things.

If/when you end up with a 40, shoot me a PM and I will get you in touch with my Houston LC mechanic that's a TLCC-Houston member. Very good work for very reasonable prices.

IF (that's a big IF) he likes you, he may also be willing to teach. There were a few items I was hesitant to tackle on my own and he let me have at it while making sure I was doing it right and explaining things.

Thanks for the offer and look forward to it. It's not a matter of IF it's only WHEN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom