WTB: '95-97 80-series (LC or LX) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I'd give this place a try. I'm currently looking for a '95-97 80-series. I want a good/clean rig. Under 120k miles (preferably under 100k), excellent condition, and the maintenance history provided. I don't want a trail rig...I'm looking for a good daily driver.

I've been looking around online, so I have a good idea what they're going for. I'm willing to pay good money for a clean rig. However...I'm not looking to spend $10k+ for a 12+ year old vehicle.

I'm located near Roanoke, VA. I'm primarily interested in rigs within easy driving distance to that (say 300 miles or so). I have a check in hand and I'd like to pick something up in the next few weeks.

Requirements:

- Under 120k miles
- Interior (excellent/outstanding)
- Exterior (excellent/outstanding)
- All equipment/accessories functional
- Third row seating
- Color (pretty much anything except burgundy)
- Able to pass a basic state inspection (safety/road worthiness). ex. tires, brakes, and lighting.
- With or without factory lockers

Last edited:
I appreciate that. That place is still ~4 hrs from me though. I already had my brother check out one that was just down the road from him today. It had more miles than I would like, but looked good from the pictures.
eBay Motors: Toyota : Land Cruiser (item 260360414322 end time Feb-17-09 10:29:22 PST)

Apparently they were very creative with their photography. The wheels weren't in good shape, one of the center caps was from an LX, the paint was wavy in one section (body damage/repair), and there was visible rust. It apparently passed the ~20' test though (notice the rear shots were from a good distance). lol. I think I'm going to try and stay away from dealers.

Thanks for the heads up, I had already spoken to these guys, and was planning to drive up and see this one. You just saved me from wasting a day.

If you find something down Raleigh way, I will be glad to look at it for you, and give you as report.

Good luck.

I have a serious question here... are people actually able to sell their vehicles for their ridiculous asking prices? Most, if not all FZJ-80's that I've seen listed are $2,000+ over 'Retail' (dealer pricing). Many of them are in no way, shape, or form "outstanding" in condition. Most have high mileage (130k+). One dealer had a ~$9k rig listed for $12,950. The rep I called (for s***s and giggles) said that they'd go as low as $11k. lol.

It seems that everything I find in the $7-8.5k range has a salvage title. I'm not even kidding...there are a LOT of them out there (LC and LX).

Hey Tyler,
I have one for sale but it is higher milage than you want. 1996 LX450 167K miles, It has been my daily driver for 5 years and dealer maintained so all the records are available from any Lexus dealer. It has a clean title and fun/reliable driver. My truck looks as good in person as it does in the pics.
LexusLX470forsalepics 008.jpg

I appreciate that Sappster...that is a good looking rig you have there. That would be a bit of a hike though. :cheers:

Tyler, buy this nice sweet looking LX. It is already lifted, locked, sliders, and has new tires. If I'm not retiring this year, I will be all over it. Catch a plane ride and drive it back home.

Shoppers/buyers beware...I'd like to share a little story about my day. I found a '95 LC on cars.com this morning and called the owner. I talk with both of the owners...a husband and wife a couple times throughout the day. They sent pictures along and discussed the condition of the vehicle. To quote the husband, "if you come down and drive it, you'll want to buy it."

Granted it was more than I wanted to spend ($11.9k), but for a low mileage (69k), original owner, no accident, clean title (verified via carfax), and factory locker vehicle...I was assured the trip to Charlotte (2.75 hrs) would be worth my time. I drove down with a check in hand, fully intending to buy it.

I pull in the guys driveway and can make out a HUGE (~12"x12") dent on the fender before I even pulled my vehicle to a complete stop. In addition to that, there's a 6"x6" dent on the bumper, where the wife backed into a pole (causing the crumpled fender as well). The "small dent" which the guy described to me was in fact the size of a dinner plate. The interior condition was nothing to be proud of. In fact, for a vehicle with 77,000 miles (yes...not the 69k on the ad) the drivers seat looked very rough.

What absolutely floored me about the whole experience was the owner. The guy baited me to come down and look at it, assuming that after I'd driven close to three hours that I would take it...regardless of the condition. After my 2-3 minute walk around and saying that I wasn't interested, he said..."well...you can have it now for $10,000." He obviously knew that I'd have a problem with it and had a plan for it (knock off $2k...which is still WAY more than it's worth).

The amusing thing is that the guy had ~$200,000 worth of cars in his garage and he was trying to scam a college student over what should be a ~$8.5k vehicle. Some of the highlights in his garage...a newer Mercedes S600, a new Z06 Corvette, and a ~'96 Corvette.

If someone wants a locked '95 LC and doesn't mind dealing with a complete scumbag...have at it.
Cars.com: 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser

From the angle of this picture (even blown up twice the size that I've got)...there's NO way that someone who received this picture could have noticed the dent. I sent this picture (along with the two others) to my dad and brother (who has a '97 LC) and neither of them noticed it.
big camera 006.jpg
big camera 004.jpg
big camera 005.jpg

Nice rig. Tell us more about the 80. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks :cheers:. I picked it up from my little brother, who upgraded to a '00 LC earlier in the week (good timing). It's got 130k (no lockers) and is in pretty good shape. Despite the 285 mud tires, it rides pretty good on the highway (a little noisy). Coming from driving a 191k mile Jeep Cherokee, this thing was a real treat on the highway (I had a 3hr drive home).

It also has an ARB bumper and IPA lights. Other than that, it hasn't been messed with. It's going to be my DD for the next couple of years, so I probably won't do a whole lot to it (I'll likely put on a set of BFG A/T's to quiet it down a bit though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom