wrong fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. i have a very imbarrassing story to tell. knowing nothing about cars let alone 4wd drives i recently saw a beat up old fj45 (1978 2f motor) ute and fell in love with it (first mistake). After filling the tank and proudly driving it to work and back every day (10 k round trip) for about a week i decided it was mechanically sound and would take it on the freeway for a 30 km drive at 100km per hour. Ran great to me apart from being very loud and since i was told they were that was that. Went to head home and it would crank but not start. rac and a small fortune for on the spot membership later the guy checks fuel and spark etc says coil and battery not so good and carby needs work then jump starts me and i fire right up. He leaves and i drive home concerned cause its starts miss and splutter a bit now and then. Following day would crank but not start .Next day changed battery, coil and it fired up straight away, great i thought (Another mistake). Off i went thinking all is well to a mates place about 40km away and ute running great to me. Next morning left my mates (started fine big smile worry over) stop at a sevo about a km away for a minute come back out and crank but no start (devastated and hung over). Keep trying and start (yae) drove home another 30km again running great to me. Next day crank but no start (kept trying) then loud backfire and thats where i shut the door and walked away. Sorry for the long winded story , it was for context so you know what a proper job of it ive done here.Here comes the very imbarrassing part. Last resort was to call the guy i bought it from (nice guy) for advice. When i bought up his add on gumtree the answer was glaring at me .Proud owner of an fj45 i think not. To my horror it is in fact a hj45 clearly stated on the add which im told are disel. So on a scale of 1 to 10 just how bad have i messed up and where do i begin. After the laughter dies down any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all. i have a very imbarrassing story to tell. knowing nothing about cars let alone 4wd drives i recently saw a beat up old fj45 (1978 2f motor) ute and fell in love with it (first mistake). After filling the tank and proudly driving it to work and back every day (10 k round trip) for about a week i decided it was mechanically sound and would take it on the freeway for a 30 km drive at 100km per hour. Ran great to me apart from being very loud and since i was told they were that was that. Went to head home and it would crank but not start. rac and a small fortune for on the spot membership later the guy checks fuel and spark etc says coil and battery not so good and carby needs work then jump starts me and i fire right up. He leaves and i drive home concerned cause its starts miss and splutter a bit now and then. Following day would crank but not start .Next day changed battery, coil and it fired up straight away, great i thought (Another mistake). Off i went thinking all is well to a mates place about 40km away and ute running great to me. Next morning left my mates (started fine big smile worry over) stop at a sevo about a km away for a minute come back out and crank but no start (devastated and hung over). Keep trying and start (yae) drove home another 30km again running great to me. Next day crank but no start (kept trying) then loud backfire and thats where i shut the door and walked away. Sorry for the long winded story , it was for context so you know what a proper job of it ive done here.Here comes the very imbarrassing part. Last resort was to call the guy i bought it from (nice guy) for advice. When i bought up his add on gumtree the answer was glaring at me .Proud owner of an fj45 i think not. To my horror it is in fact a hj45 clearly stated on the add which im told are disel. So on a scale of 1 to 10 just how bad have i messed up and where do i begin. After the laughter dies down any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How much diesel was in the tank when you added gasoline?

How far (KMs) did you drive before realizing that you had a diesel and not gasoline engine?

Sorry, got a little lost in the story. You may be able to simply drain your tank and fill it back up with diesel - find some off-road stuff.

How much diesel was in the tank when you added gasoline?

How far (KMs) did you drive before realizing that you had a diesel and not gasoline engine?

Sorry, got a little lost in the story. You may be able to simply drain your tank and fill it back up with diesel - find some off-road stuff.

Ok folks the imbarrassment continues. (did i mention i know absolutely nothing about vehicles) . After reading this n that looking for answers i have learned that diesel has glow plugs and petrol has spark plugs. i have white porcelan spark plugs. which means someone at some point swapped motors from diesel to petrol. So i guess i did not ruin a diesel motor with petrol. Didnt think a vehicle could go that far on wrong fuel. Still stuck withh initial problem though

Engines this old (gas or diesel) will stop running before they are 'ruined' - so don't sweat this too much. But, don't put diesel in a brand new gas vehicle, or vice-versa. Heck, diesel in a 2F might loosen up some stuck rings ;)

Look for a distributor, distributor cap, and ignition wires... only gassers have them.

Also look at the valve cover and engine block for labels. What do they say?

Or post pics.

Once you've got it figured, drain and refill with the correct fuel.

Engines this old (gas or diesel) will stop running before they are 'ruined' - so don't sweat this too much. But, don't put diesel in a brand new gas vehicle, or vice-versa. Heck, diesel in a 2F might loosen up some stuck rings ;)
thx steve, good to know. however based on some of the others comments here and a mate at work i now know that it is infact a hj45 which has had a 2f petrol motor powersteering and a 5 peed tranny put in.

thx mate. i now know for sure it is infact a 2f petrol motor. now i just have to figure out whats really wrong (LOL).

Now that you know it's a 2F, replace the fuel filter... it may be filthy and starving the carb for fuel.

How long did the previous owner park it, without driving it? You may need to drain and clean the tank... and the fuel lines.

If it has a PCV, pull it off and shake it. Does it rattle? If so, put it back on. If not, replace it.

It may need a tune-up (plugs, points (if it has points), valves adjusted, timing set, etc.).

I'm guessing, from your narrative, that the problem is fuel-system related... clogged filter, crap in tank and/or lines, carby gummed up, etc.

Was it misrepresented in the advert? If so, does that allow you to return it, for a refund?

Or, do you prefer to keep it?

Diesels don't have a carb or a coil.
Diesels don't have a carb or a coil.
Now that you know it's a 2F, replace the fuel filter... it may be filthy and starving the carb for fuel.

How long did the previous owner park it, without driving it? You may need to drain and clean the tank... and the fuel lines.

If it has a PCV, pull it off and shake it. Does it rattle? If so, put it back on. If not, replace it.

It may need a tune-up (plugs, points (if it has points), valves adjusted, timing set, etc.).

I'm guessing, from your narrative, that the problem is fuel-system related... clogged filter, crap in tank and/or lines, carby gummed up, etc.

Was it misrepresented in the advert? If so, does that allow you to return it, for a refund?

Or, do you prefer to keep it?
yea i agree fuel is definetly on the to do list. carby leaks so going to rebuild when i hace some cash to spare.

I bet it gets particularly confusing with a diesel badge on the grille and a "Diesel Fuel Only" decal inside the fuel tank door of your HJ45. Better remove those placards so that you don't accidentally put diesel back in a 2F petrol swap!

Many years ago I did the opposite while on an elk hunt. I wasn't paying attention to the pump, and filled the 40 with diesel. I got about 3 miles. Ended up at the side of the road draining the tank into the ditch (pollution, I know). Lucky I had a gas can with about 4 gallons of gas in it.

I run diesel in my business trucks and have caught myself reaching for the green handle while fueling my gas car.

So you are not alone...

I'll wait for the pictures before chiming in.

I bet it gets particularly confusing with a diesel badge on the grille and a "Diesel Fuel Only" decal inside the fuel tank door of your HJ45. Better remove those placards so that you don't accidentally put diesel back in a 2F petrol swap!
when i picked it up it had been spayed matt black and the only badge of any kind left on it was toyota on the grill . nothing in the fuel door either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom