Writeup: 1988 FJ62 4WD Solenoid fix for $17.77 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
/ Problem: 4WD light stays on.
1. Check the front driveshaft under your car. If you press the 4WD button to the off position in your car and you can't turn your front driveshaft then your solenoid is probably burnt out.

4WD VSV Replacement: Toyota P/N 88690-89132
Part Name: Valve Assy, Magnet
Price from CruiserDan: 17.77
No Discount Price from Toyota: 23.70
This part is off a 1988 Toyota Pickup. It's off the 22R Engine.
PartNumber.jpg

Tools Needed:
1. 12 mm wrench or socket. (unbolt VSV bracket from firewall)
2. Screw driver (remove bad VSV from bracket)
3. Angle grinder or file or hack saw (modify metal notch on VSV to fit original bracket.)
4. File, pocket knife, or razor blade (remove connector lip to fit original clip)

For reference: VSV = Vacuum Solenoid Valve

Steps to repair electronic 4WD in an FJ62 (mine is a 1988)

1. Remove Bad VSV (red one) This picture shows the passenger side firewall. You need a 12 mm wrench to remove the bracket. Unclip the wires and hoses. Make sure to label everything or keep it half hanging and connected like I did.
burntoutredVSV.jpg

fasteners.jpg

2. Unscrew the new bracket from the new VSV. We don’t need it. Also, take off the 2 hoses that come with the new VSV as well (not shown in pics)
newbracketdontuse.jpg

3. Now we need to modify the new VSV before it will fit. Compare the two VSV’s and it’s obvious that we need to trim the metal tab on the VSV and remove the lip off the new electric connector. I had already trimmed mine prior to this picture so use your imagination.
NewvsOldVSVtopview.jpg

This second picture shows the two metal tabs. They are different sizes. The new one is too big and needs to be trimmed down.
bracketcomparison1.jpg

Wear safety glasses and use proper tools and techniques. Don’t stab yourself with a pocket knife while trying to remove the electrical connector lip. Point is, be safe.

4. Now that you’re new VSV is modified; check to see if the electrical connectors fit. Also check and see if the metal tab on the VSV fits into the firewall bracket you unbolted. Connect up the proper hoses. The vertical hose coming straight out the old VSV is the Vacuum line one. The new VSV Vacuum line is the one on the outside. I hadn't trimmed the metal tab yet, so again, use your imagination. Sorry for the lack of proper pictures.
NewvsOldVSVsideview.jpg

5. Attach everything and don’t worry about sucking on the tube or switching hoses anymore! I have only just installed this. ***DISCLAIMER: Worst case scenario this VSV may burn out early. Who knows, maybe it’s not supposed to be used for this. I hold no responsibility for you trying this. I tried it and it works but I cannot guarantee for how long. My guess is that everything will be ok but I’m just letting you know, do this at YOUR OWN RISK.***

Keywords: four wheel drive solenoid, VSV, vacuum solenoid valve.

Thanks for posting this up, I'll have to pick one up for a spare next time I'm grabbing some OEM stuff.

:cheers:

I'd like to make a more official writeup that is cleaner to put on the FAQ but this is a good start to help those of us with electronic 2WD to 4WD .

Nice find!

This would probably work good for the AC idle solenoid in the 60s.

I assume this VSV will work for most, including the AC idle up. The question is how much modification will be needed for the connector or bracket.

Is everyone sure the part number listed is correct? I called Toyota with the number and they said the cost was about $225 and the nearest one was Japan.

I can scan or take a picture of the receipt if it will help.

Is everyone sure the part number listed is correct? I called Toyota with the number and they said the cost was about $225 and the nearest one was Japan.

Make sure to ask for this off of a 1988 toyota pickup truck. The ones for the land cruiser cost more because they were made in low quantities whereas there are way more tucks so production cost was lower.
-Randy

It's in the FAQ.

Mike S

The origional bracket can also be used, just take your time pinching the four lock "V's" back together and slide out. New valve will seat just a touch higher within bracket, but still fits. Seperate "V's" again to lock in place. Either way, great fix!

I just called the local dealership that I deal with,
Their price is $227.30 list (in Canadian dollars)

I'm guessing a serious typo is happening somewhere
Look at the part, the number if pieces in it, the function it performs and remember it's coming from a dealership. Do you think $23 is right?

Call cruiser dan. He got it "special ordered" for me for $17.77.

This is the second comment from a Canadian user that has had this problem with price...

Try Cruiser Dan and check back in.

505 823-4440
Cruiser Dan @ NM Toyota Quote

Crusier Dan will be gone until Tuesday, he's going to be in the Rubicon....

I hooked up my battery last weekend backwards and blew the fusible links. I just got it running again and noticed that my 4WD light stays on. I just ordered another one from my local Toyota Dealership in California without discout and it was $27....

Just got finished with this STUPID EASY mod!
Took me all of 10 min. start to finish.
The hardest part is grinding down the metal tab if you wanna get all technical and precise about it. Id recommend using a dremel to make it precise. I used an angle grinder....wasnt the prettiest, but it worked.
Thank you sooo much for pioneering this. Its saved me a BUNCH-O-CASH!

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom