Wrenching Day Pics--13 AUG 2005 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Well, Tim and I just got back from Warren's house after wrenching the entire day. It was really quite a fulfilling day, though the original plans for an engine swap dematerialized...Unfortunately, Nick needed some sleep. Hope the rest was well--sounds like a bugger of the trip!

Got to Warren's around 10am and basically started to dive right in. We needed to put his windshield glass and his gasket on. This became a three hour or so affair--Karl, Jim C., Tim, Warren and myself struggled for a bit. Finally got it in and ... :doh: we (more me) busted the windshield with some major cracking. Warren's going to throw it on anyway!! :eek:

Next we started on the knuckle job for Warren's many yeared 40...tidbit of info: 80 series wheel bearings fit nicely into the 40 series hub....perfect fit!

Marty showed up--sans 40...but his 80 series with serious bling was looking good...no roof rack either--lucky dude... :flipoff2:

Then we got some hardcore carb tuning instruction from Jim C. Then a bit of distributor work and the evening was upon us. Lots of good food, lots of :beer: and a nice thunderstorm to finish off the evening.

Thanks for having us Warren and glad we could get some quality work done on the 40. Looking real good. Can't wait for the next wrenching session.

Pics are below.

Best regards.
-onur
Akron, OH
P8130003.JPG
P8130006.JPG
P8130009.JPG

And some more...holy s***...watch out--Jim C. with a rifle...(stage action: everyone duck!!) :flipoff2: Some Jim C. Carb action.
P8130028.JPG
P8130032.JPG

Last edited:
And the final view as the storm rolls in....

A very enjoyable day with lots o learnin'! They don't teach you this stuff at school that's for sure.

Later guys.
-onur
P8130035.JPG

Thank you guys so much

I can not begin to thank everyone enough for comming up, down and across to my place. Beno is right about getting into it quick. before I knew it I was the Shop Biatch, making sure everyone had drinks, a clean space to work, and plenty of paper towels.

Karl, thanks for the calipers, and t case saver.
Jim C. Thanks again, for the wisdom and for helping me remove some golf tees from the carb, and becoming the active "shop teacher" to all of us.
Beno thanks for the bearings and races, and taking the LTXs.
Tim, Thanks for building more of the front end than I did.
Marty, thanks for the bumper, and taking those wheels down to Juke.

There is truly something to be said about people who will drive across the state on a free Saturday to work 12 hours in 90 degree heat, and get absolutly greasy for a belly full of beer and some burgers and brats.

I have not felt this type of friendship since my fraternity days.

My wife even commented that everyone was very nice, and respectful, and not what she imagined from "mechanics off the internet".

The to do list is very small now to get the 40 on the road for the first time in at least 4 years.
Get the proper rotors, (thanks autodrone)
Install rotors on hub assembly, pack wheel bearings and drive in seal.
Put hub assembly on, put calipers on, bleed brakes. Put gear oil in diff.
Install rear tail lights, and stop light switch,
REGISTER, AND INSURE 40.

OH yeah, seats and seat belts.
Get over to JIM Cs for final tuning, Do a compression test to see if its trustworthy. Asking Jim to Look at my carb in the condition it was in, was like asking Picaso to paint a barn fence. Thanks again.

again, I owe all of you guys big time. let me know who wants to host the next one. and I will be there with the pellet gun for Jim to shoot.

Warren.

Last edited:
It was great to meet you all...Thanks for the beer and autoshop lessons. We'll have to get together again soon.
Marty

JimC doesn't change much from the last time I saw him many years ago when MOLC still existed :) Looks like fun, too bad I joined the board and found this too late. I guess there is always next time :)

POS where you at in Columbus, What kind of junk do you have. etc.

warren..Am I supposed to be doing anything with these wheels?

phishtaco said:
warren..Am I supposed to be doing anything with these wheels?

Not drive on them:). I got an email from Juke this morning, said checks coming and he will be in contact to set up some sort of pick up. Its entirly up to you where / if you can meet him, or have him come over or something.

Basically they just need to leave your truck/ place to juke. I wont ask you to chase down money.

zetasig said:
The to do list is very small now to get the 40 on the road for the first time in at least 4 years.

Get the proper rotors, (thanks autodrone)
Install rotors on hub assembly, pack wheel bearings and drive in seal.
Put hub assembly on, put calipers on, bleed brakes. Put gear oil in diff.
Install rear tail lights, and stop light switch,
REGISTER, AND INSURE 40.

Warren.

The front axle stuff is going to be a simple job...a few more weeks man and you're set!

Pics. when on the road.
Later.
-onur

zetasig said:
POS where you at in Columbus, What kind of junk do you have. etc.

I live/work in Worthington, in the I-270 and Rt. 23 area. It's a long story, but I don't have any TLC in the US, I race my cars at autocrosses for a hobby. My '82 FJ40 resides in Jakarta, Indonesia. It's somewhat modified although it still runs the original 2F.

I take it the blue FJ40 in the pic is yours ?

Yepper,

Indonesia is a long way away from Worthington man.

zetasig said:

Yepper,

Indonesia is a long way away from Worthington man.

Yep. The time difference of 12 hours tells me it's on the other side of the world :)

Where are you in Columbus ?

North of Polaris Mall, Bout 10 miles north of Sunbury.

POS VETT said:
JimC doesn't change much from the last time I saw him many years ago when MOLC still existed :) Looks like fun, too bad I joined the board and found this too late. I guess there is always next time :)
Tom,
Glad to hear you're still in country. When are you importing your non-US Cruiser for us to covet? ;)

We'll have another GTG soon. Like a trailride in 2 weeks. See you there? :cheers:

FJ40Jim said:
Tom,
Glad to hear you're still in country. When are you importing your non-US Cruiser for us to covet? ;)

We'll have another GTG soon. Like a trailride in 2 weeks. See you there? :cheers:

There is no plan on importing the '82 :( and I'm afraid the cost to make it road legal in the US is prohibitive, especially since it's a RHD and it has no smog equipments whatsoever.

Trail ride is not a possibility right now. I sold the '98 Isuzu Amigo since I made money on it and it was replaced by a non-4wd that rides very close to the ground ;) I'm considering an FJ-60/62 and I also have a lead on a 1995 4Runner with manual tranny. So, we'll see :)

Warren,

What's the deal with the cutout where you side vent goes (near the Pass. side kick vent)? Mine is all one piece with the side panel, does your year 40 allow it to come off?

Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom