1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrappin'

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Gumby, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I went out to test the SOA on my 40 Saturday and noticed the expected wheel hop, so Sunday I built a Woody-style anti-wrap ladder bar. I also welded the rear according to Woody's pics. Pretty easy to do both with the right materials and tools. I haven't taken any pics 'cause it looks just like Woody's pics, except I went right to the 3 heim set-up and used 1" x .125 DOM and weld in inserts left over from my steering.

Welding safety note. While brake cleaner is an excellent choice for cleaning the diff gears before welding, and non-flammable may be a better than the flammable kind, make sure there is no puddle of cleaner in the carrier. Non-flammable brake cleaner is also known as Chlorinated. I was welding away and sucked in a bunch of chlorine gas. It burned and I felt crappy for the rest of the day. Probably not a good thing.

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Good advice Todd. It is amazing the gasious combos that can be cooked up when you are welding anything.

3. REZARF

REZARF

Was using some rust breaker fluid the other day when I was disassembling my 8274 warn winch brake housing and decided to put a little heat on the keyed shaft when whoala! I had a table of warn winch flambe'... :whoops:

Managed to not freak out and get the flames out of the garage and then put the parts out.

Ahhhh, nothing like scaring yourself with a torch and chemicals in the morning to get your blood flowing. ;)

Drew <><