1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wow

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by johnnybravo300, Aug 10, 2005.

1. johnnybravo300

johnnybravo300

i never knew there was such a following with these land cruisers. i never even knew there was any clubs or forims like this. ive only been online for a couple years now, and never checked up on it.
    i bought my 71 about 6 years ago and havent done a whole lot to it since then. mountain biking or dirt bikes have taken all my time. i have always liked off road stuff and when i saw it i jonesed out pretty hard and bought it. i couldnt believe how heavy duty it was and pretty tight all around. not only that but it looked bada$$...i was mainly jeep shopping....then i came across this cruiser.
    i havent looked at jeeps since hahaha. i thought maybe someday id do some work to it....when i get more time or whatever. ive had to replace the alternator and battery in the last 6 years, but thats cake anyways.
    we heat the house with a woodburner so i do alot of woodcutting in the winter. the cruiser has always gone on these excursions....usually just pulling a splitter or small trailer with saws and beer and stuff. if anyone has 4 wheeled in kansas, then they know that there is some bottomless mudpits. no matter how bad these guy's trucks would get stuck...i could always get them out with the cruiser. it put a smile on my face when id see their expressions...they couldnt believe it. "that little thing is AWESOME!!" we didnt take it so much as to haul wood, as we did to get people unstuck. it was almost like cheating!!

anyways....i have taken a season off from hare scrambles to get some other things done. working on my cruiser was one of the main goals. some surface rust is starting to appear...it needs attention. plus it sat since last winter when the alternator died...ruined the battery too...so i replaced both last week.
    i found all my manuals...bought an oil filter and some oil....battery and alternator and went to work. for some reason the choke seems to kick off before the motor is wamr enough....so i wanted to tighten the spring a little and get it right before winter comes. i wanted to mount sopme kind of bench seat straight across in the back like a jeep has. i dont like those sideways seats much. i also wanted some buckets for the front. i called specter and they want like 500 bucks apiece for the seats and brackets. i about crapped myself, but maybe how much this stuff really costs. i was going to see if i could find something out of a honda or toyota car..even a pinto i dont care. i dont like the front seats much either. i like buckets. that project might take some work since i might have to do some fabricating, but it kinda makes it fun that way.
    just a few things i wanted to get done around here and i found my jones from years past again. i started doing some searches online about land cruisers and got bombarded by stuff. i found this forum and cant stop reading....now all i can think about is checking out all the local junkyards around here...seeing what i can do to it!!!
    i need to get the steering box tightened up and i havent found a place around here who has messed with them. it looks kinda intricate for me...but maybe its not that hard. i think i need to remove some shims. i have about 5 inches of freeplay on either side of the wheel.

2. 2badfjs

2badfjs

welcome newbie
    you'll find all your needs right here!

NOW POST UP SOME PICS!!!! ;) :cool: :D

3. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome!

If you have the 1-piece steering box, the box itself is not so difficult to take apart, taking it out of the cruiser is more involved. I had more play than you describe, we took two shims out and the play is down to maybe 4 inches total.

If you have headrests on your front seat(s), please let me know before you throw them out; I am looking for a headrest for a '72.

By the way, truck is currently located one state north of you.

4. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
  5. johnnybravo300

johnnybravo300

they are just the short fronts...the passenger is like a bench. they are almost too soft and springy for me. i like the sports car feel i think...its just comfortable.

those are some awesome pictures dsrtrdr....the missouri pics really looked tough.

6. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
  7. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome....

Tech?

8. trainrech

trainrech

Where in Kansas?

I'm in Emporia and work all around the eastern 1/2 of the state.

9. 74fj40

74fj40

sounds like a good projectwhat color

10. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you miss the gearbox question, tech..... ;)

There is a nut on the inboard side of the box that is where you can adjust some of the slack. Just turn the jam nut off a little then tighten the setscrew and retighten. The Center arm also causes a lot of slop in the wheel if it's worn out. Have someone move steering wheel side to side and if you see any lateral movement in the center arm then it should be rebuilt.

Well good for you on your Cruiser and finding your way to this site, good to have ya. And I agree you need to post up some freakin pics already.

Check out pirate4x4 and CCOT for some other good stuff. Ih8mud kicks any forums ass but from time to time you can get good ideas with these among others.

Welcom Noob!!! :beer:

11. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Welcome. Pretty soon you won't have time for your bikes because you will be on here all night.

12. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh and if you were looking at changing seats you could get a good penny off the bench fronts on Ebay, might pay for the new ones and a (cheaper than $500) rear bench.

13. Hossdog

Hossdog

Good to have ya!! This place has more info than my brain can hold at once.....guess its why I gotta visit everyday. ;p

14. Wayneraintree

Wayneraintree

A popular rear seat replacement idea is a bench seat from a dodge raider, it fits really well and allows for storage space under it..... welcome to cruiser addiction! you really need to post a picture, feel free to PM me or email me and I can post it for you or even better, join ih8mud, get a star and post all the pics you can take!

15. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You need to hook up with the Tornado Alley guys, great bunch of guys, about half of 'em are gay but we don't ask, don't tell.
    Butch

16. wngrog

wngrog SILVER Star

x2 :D

17. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    welcome to the last day of your life...from now on, you will search endlessly for more cruiser stuff, hit every forum three and four times a day, and lose all your friends that don't own cruisers... ;)

and butch is right...those tornado guys are kinda "weird" :flipoff2:

18. lone gunman

lone gunman

welcome :flipoff2: and yes its addicting, my wife gets so ticked with me because all i do is modify the cruiser and never get to the honey dew list.

19. badkarma

badkarma Is is edible? SILVER Star

Haha, that's what happened to me.

Welcome Johnnybravo!

20. johnnybravo300

johnnybravo300

im in topeka...not far from emporia. i was down there maybe a year ago. i went to check out flatland racing's warehouse and operation. they make alot of bike parts like skidplates and all that aluminum aftermarket bling. i needed radiator guards.
    i know what you mean about having to deal with the wife. its been like that for me my whole marriage. shes usually pretty cool about it all....and shes not hard to persuade. plus she can ride around in it!! eheheh
    im going to take it slow and see what i can make myself.....but im sure a time will come where i need to write some checks.....its exciting!!!
    for now im just concentrating on stopping the body rust where it is....i want the body to be decent at least....even just a sand job and a few coats of primer. its a desert tan right now...i might try to find something close to it.

im going to look into the steering box problem to see if i can figure it out....and im going to start looking for a rear bench.

ive been checking this site everytime i get online.....i used to be like that with the kansas hare scramble race site!!!

whooo hooo!!