Wow this thing is wierd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
So I have recently run into another set of problems with this truck. The other day, I was driving and it just died. I got it home and the next day, it ran like nothing ever happened.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," so I didn't. Later that day, it stalled in front of my house before I turned it off, so I pulled the plugs to see what was wrong. They were ashy grey, indicating that the rig was running very rich. No prob, just a small fix.

Well, that fix didn't happend till tonight, and I couldn't figure it out. I started it, and it ran fine for about 2 miles of a test drive, revving it up to 3k once or twice. At the house however, it started running very badly again, although it would run. I pulled the air cleaner cover so that I could look into the carb, first when it was off, and I saw the wierdest thing ever. After idiling, the secondary was filled with vaporized fuel. WHAT?!? I then blew it out and ran it again, and it idled for about 10 seconds before shooting massive amounts of fuel through the secondary. I was outside the truck looking at the carb while this happened. So much fuel came out of the secondary that the rig stalled and there was about 1/4" of fuel IN THE SECONDARY!!!

I have never even heard of this before, so give me some help here.

What can I do?

:beer:

Sounds like the needle and seat in the secondary is no good..

There's a needle and seat in the secondary? I thought it pulled fuel from the same bowl as the primary?

Take a 10mm wrench and put in the secondary butterfly shaft and make sure it's A) tight, and B) closed all the way.

Also, did you pull off the vac lines at the base of the carb and make sure they are free dirt/debris/etc. by flowing some carb cleaner through them??

I haven't checked the vac lines yet because I was out last night, but I will. That just involves pulling them and shooting cleaner through them, right?

I was talking to a couple of guys I know about this problem, and they said that my fuel float might be stuck open. This makes sense because I can't see the fuel in my sight glass. Now, my question is is this a chronic problem that can be easily fixed or is this something that requires me to do a rebuild?

What about just adjusting the floats?

At what level is the fuel in the window? I thought if it were stuck open it would be overflowing ,not empty.
It should be halfway all the time

The manual says that you can sometimes free the floats by tapping in their location with a blunt instrument.

Carb rebuild kit will have the shutoff valve in it. Like $20, and you just take off the top of the carb and replace the valve by the float.

And yes, just take off the lines and shoot carb cleaner through them. Not the lines, but the brass pipes that is.

I think that you might want to call Jim C and let him at your carb!

Zack

Yeah. I'm thinking the Jim C route.

I will try to do what I can though.

I can't see any fuel in my window. It's really wierd.

It will run for about 10 min with the choke on and then after warming up, it will run for 2 min. Then the secondary kicks in. Anything else that I can do?

If the fuel level is way high, you might not see anything in the window because the lvel is above the window.

I don't get what you mean "then the secondary kicks in." Is the throttle valve closed in the secondary and then fuel squirts in on top of the throttle? Yea, that's wierd. Along with a malfunctioning float/valve, you might confirm that the bowl vent isn't plugged. If the vent was plugged and the carb warmed up, it might tend to squirt fuel rather than having sucked out the way its supposed to.

By saying that the secondary kicks in, I mean that it starts shooting fuel into the secondary barrel of the carb even though the butterfly in the secondary is closed. It's so wierd. This is exactly what is happening because I saw it happen.

I know that it must be the carb by now. I want to try to adjust the floats so that I don't have to do a rebuild, but if I end up having to, I will. My next question is how long did it take for you guys to do a rebuild, and what tips do you have?

How hard was it?

the rebuild is pretty easy, being organized is key though, it took me 6 hours to do mine, it was a bit overwhelming looking at all the parts in the rebuild kit but you don't use all of them, some kits come with a new float, my float looked fine so i just cleaned it up real good, get some berrymans carb cleaner for the clean up of teh old parts, get a nice clean work spot and label all the vent lines, i use telephone wire that is color coded dor that kind of stuff

Where should I look to buy a rebuild kit that gives me new jets, gaskets, diaphragms and floats?

Maybe not jets though.

I just went to the parts store, it was called "all foreign" but I think most of the stores can get the kit, you might ask if they know if the float will be in that kit...I think it was 20 bucks..

doa search on carb rebuild, there was a guy posting that had a kit name he was proud of because it came with the float..

I think that that's what I'm going to do. I'd like to learn more about how it works, and I don't have $300 laying around for Jim C to do it. Gotta get to it then...

Thanks for the info.

Here's what I've found.

This kit is supposed to be really good, but it dosen't come with a float.

Carb Kit

This is the float

Float

Anyone have any experience with this kit? Things included? Things not?

holy shiite. glthfj60 mine did the EXACT same thing. right down to the secondary shoting gas into a clsoed barrel. i just really opened it up for a minute though and sprayed lots of cleaner and it never did it again

i believe you have vacuum operated secondary valve that only opens under certain conditions--controlled by your comp. this sounds as though is stuck in the open position. you can pull just the top of the carb off and check its operation with avacuum pump. spraying carb cleaner on it may just do the trick.

jim

Screw it.

I'm tired of playing with it time after time. This is the 3rd time at least that my truck has quit on me because of my carb. I just got done taking it out of my truck so that I can rebuild it. I would have Jim C do it, but I don't have $300.

NOw is the time for research on the rebuild and execution.

Anyone on those parts?

I can't find any write-ups on rebuilding the 2F carb. Does anyone who has done this have any tips, advice or a writeup? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom