would you sell.....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
Would you sell the 60 that you've owned for 18 years? The 60 that you've built and equipt into an awsome truck?
For an 80 that has all compairable bells and whistles?
And you can only have one or the other.

Should this be chat?

devo

I really like the look of the 60. I had the choice of 60 or 80 when I shopped for mine. 60 was the only way to go for me. I am a pretty abusive truck owner. I never got the feeling the basic 80 was even going to modify to the point my 60 is. The extra power would be nice though.

Keep your rig. be sentimental.

If both were diesels! NO! the 80 diesel is weaker and swallows more diesel than the 60! There's at least a guy on teh forum who regreted doing that after he sold his 60 for a 80 gaser!

Best regards.

Max.

Do you want new challenges/expenses or smoother ride? If none of the above, stay where you are.

Otherwise, would be kinda cool to have a trail-rated mall-cruiser.

I used to think the 80 was the pinnacle of Cruiser wagons... But then I drove my mom's 1994 on a 3hr drive and found I couldnt stand the interior. I am very uncomfortable in a 80.
Plus 60s look better and arent automatics. So in my opinion I would keep a 60 over an 80 anytime.

Jason

I can't imagine selling mine (15 yrs ownership), especially not for an 80. Don't get me wrong, love those coil sprung beasts, and the automatic makes the wheeling a lot easier. But 80s don't have the personality and character of a 60, and repairs/maintenance can be very costly. Check out the thread on the 80 series section that details the cost of replacing the ABS components damaged by a broken birfield.

I guess it depends on how much you wheel and how capable your 60 is. It's comparatively much cheaper to build an 80 series (after purchase) and a mildly modified 80 will spank a mildly modified 60. Rationally, your questions makes some sense and I understand your dilemma. But emotionally? Selling my 60 to buy an 80 would be just wrong to me.

How about *adding* an 80 to the stable?

Wait, I just saw your other post...Katemcy...would your FJ60 happen to be the nice blue one with custom springs and those sweet Aussie shackles that was at the Round Up this year, with CO plates?

If that's the case, then I would *definitely* keep it, I was lusting after that wagon.

if it aint broke, dont fix ( replace) it.
keep the 60. Mines going on 22 years, and 210k.

hammer

I went through the same thing recently. I've only had my 60 for 4 years or so, but I've had reliability issue that were bothering me (break downs are not good with a 1.5 year old and 100 degree TX heat) It's never really left me stranded, per se, but I was worried about that happening.

My decission has been to keep the 60, however, and do the rolling restoration of it. There are several reason why: 1) I'm not crazy about the full time 4 wheel drive. The knuckles wear out and the seals blow, and it seems like they need to be serviced every 50k miles. 2) The prices of the 80 series around here are way out of bounds. What should go for $4k go for around $6k. They're all high mileage, too, so it's not like I'd be getting into a rig with 50k miles or anything. 3) What would I be getting into? Even if you check one out thuroughly, you really don't know how it's been treated or what's going to give up on you. With the truck you've got, you at least have a pretty good idea as to what needs to be replaced or repaired. 4) The automatic transmission - I've pretty much always had a standard. 5) The looks. The 60 flat out looks good. The 80 looks okay, but it blends in with the crowd a little too easily.

So there you go. Faced with the same sort of thing (but maybe from a different angle) that's the decission I came too.

Almost forgot: one other reason not to sell a 60: there are a ton of really nice ones out there for sale now, cheap. You may not be happy with what you get for yours on the open market...

I had a 91 80 series and it was a gutless wonder. My 60 with slight mods is much faster than the 80

Bob you are a tard. I think you should sell your wife to me and keep the 60 then buy the 80.

Hell ya I would. That's if anybody was looking to BUY an FJ60... :rolleyes: And that's if I could ONLY have one--not both. I love the 60s and I love my 60, but it's a little too incovenient for a young family. Ever try putting a baby car seat in the back seat of an SOA 60? Ok, ok. So ya, then just have a stock or slightly lifted 60. I still say it's a bit too inconvinient. When I'm by myself in my 60, I could give a rats ass if my doors unlock automatically or if my windows auto roll up and down or how cold the A/C blows or how warm the heater is or how fast I can drive on the freeway... But add in a wife or girlfriend and some young kids or toddlers and you're going to be wishing you had the 80. Not to mention how much smoother of a ride the coil-sprung 80 is over the leaf-sprung 60...

-Ferg-

I find that an 80 doesnt ride that much different on the street then my FJ60. A little, but not enough to make fuss of. And I find it harder to load and unload my daughters into my mom's stock 80 over my slightly lifted 60. The interior seems tighter for some reason. But I do think that there could be more room on any Cruiser wagon from the front of the backseat to the rear of the front seats. It would make adults and car seats fit better.

Jason

stinkyfj60 said:
I find that an 80 doesnt ride that much different on the street then my FJ60.

Are you serious? Are we talking stock suspensions here? I don't know about a stock 60, but when my 60 had the 2.5 inch lift, it was almost as comfortable as riding around in a shopping cart. After SOA, it's better, but still rides pretty rough. I've always felt that perhaps some custom leaf springs would work better, but I have a few other things to spend my $$ on before I go to custom springs. And as for an 80, I've ridden in plenty of them and driven a few and I can say that definitely they rode WAAAAAY different than my 60 with 2.5 inch lift or SOA. Way more comfortable ride for sure. And it wasn't just the seats...

-Ferg-

yes

Exiled said:
Wait, I just saw your other post...Katemcy...would your FJ60 happen to be the nice blue one with custom springs and those sweet Aussie shackles that was at the Round Up this year, with CO plates?

If that's the case, then I would *definitely* keep it, I was lusting after that wagon.

Yes that's the one.

devo

I have been struggling with this issue as well. I have only had my 62 for a little over 2 years and it is not built at all (I do have an HFS suspension laying around still waiting for my to find time to install). I made a mistake earlier this year and rented a pop-up tent trailer for a camping trip. My wife loved it and I think our days of tent camping as a family may be all but over, we will probably be buying a tent trailer in the not so distant future. The 62 did ok (but only ok) pulling it, but we didn't go over any major passes - only pulled it from Denver to north west of Woodland Park. It would be nice to have something with a little more power for towing. Not to mention more comfortable, more seating room for when family is in town, available factory lockers, cheaper lifts, etc. That being said, I would still miss the 62 and I can deal with occasionally going 40 mph on the freeway. There is no way the wife will go for having both. Not sure what I am going to do yet.

The wife is the one who believes that since I put in the V8 we don't have a " Cruiser " anymore. You all are familiar with that argument.
I love my truck. But, upgrading/updating to a really built '96 might be a reallity.

David. after she helps me pay off the 80 I'll get back to you.

devo

Only if the 80 was a diesel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom